Not sure about this little pistol.

IfindFe

Found at an old home site. House was probably there from 1870 to ???? Cow pasture now. No modern trash. No cans, bottle caps, pull tabs or foil.

Not a single coin at the site. The Merc dime is just for size reference. These were poor farmers living in the middle of nowhere.

The pistol is heavy. It's harder than lead, so it is probably alloyed with tin. I found two comparisons on the internet, but I don't have faith in either. One had it listed as a pipe tamper, the other as a candy topper (with question marks). I think it would make a poor pipe tamper because the butt is hollow. I do not understand the candy topper reference.

I'm betting that somebody in the forum can give me a positive i.d.

Attachments

• 9-6-2021 Estoup 2.jpg
    9-6-2021 Estoup 2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 462
  • 9-6-2021 Estoup 3.jpg
    9-6-2021 Estoup 3.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 474
  • 9-6-2021 Estoup 1.jpg
    9-6-2021 Estoup 1.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 482
I think it's a little squirt gun. There was a rubber bulb that attached to the butt of the pistol. I've seen it somewhere before. Here's a similar one:

Attachments

• squirt.jpg
    squirt.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 465
DougF is correct. It is a mini squirt gun. I found one very much like it last year on a 1900 era homesite. Best info I have found indicates 1930s vintage . Cool find!

Attachments

• 4-18-20.jpg
    4-18-20.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 438
Nice find. I think it’s amazing that the thread was started in middle of the night and the find was IDed a few hours later. Great job by poster and the IDer.

Thanks to DougF and MTtrashdigger for the identification, and to the others for your replies.

Hunting some of these poor farmstead sites can be a bit demoralizing. Finding a toy, or even a fragment of a toy, always changes how I feel about the site. This little pistol made my day.

It is a cool find.
Will a bulb off of a cheap manual blood pressure fit it?
It would be neat to make it functional again.

Back
Top Bottom