Coins (do they lose weight?)

Sider_F5

I know this is a steupid/crazy question but after what happen this morning I couldn't help but wonder. :laughing: After figuring out the best way to clean the coins I've dug this past year, I roll them up while watching the ball games on TV yesterday and decided to cash them in at a local convenience store that is owned by a friend on the way to work this morning. Simple enough, right? Wrong!!!! His method to make sure that there is the right amount of coins is to weigh them on a calibrated scale, i get that but every roll of quarters he placed on the scale was short. I'm like: NO WAY!! He then proceeds to compare to a roll that he has and sure enough, mine are 2 grams light. I called BS and insured him that I hand counted each roll and suggested that he open a couple to see for himself. After doing so he scratches his head and has the most dumbfounded look. what is you guys take on this?

Spider F5

How much wear did those coins have. Coins in circulation do wear and can be a bit lighter than when first issued by the mint.

also a quarter weighs more than two grams, sooo only 2 grams short would not be a full coin. Coins can lose weight through wear and oxidation....but it is usually not much.

also a quarter weighs more than two grams, sooo only 2 grams short would not be a full coin. Coins can lose weight through wear and oxidation....but it is usually not much.

According to "his" roll of quarters that he was comparing to, it weighed in at 50 grams, and mine all weighed in at 48 grams consistently...... if you do the math based on his "confirmed" roll, that comes out to 1.25 grams per quarter, minus the wrapper. :laughing: I personally think he is full of it. :roll:

F5

According to "his" roll of quarters that he was comparing to, it weighed in at 50 grams, and mine all weighed in at 48 grams consistently...... if you do the math based on his "confirmed" roll, that comes out to 1.25 grams per quarter, minus the wrapper. :laughing: I personally think he is full of it. :roll:

F5

quarter weight 5.67 grams x 40 per roll....equals like 226.8 grams.... mans math is waaaaay off

quarter weight 5.67 grams x 40 per roll....equals like 226.8 grams.... mans math is waaaaay off

Yea I didn't argue as it was mute at that point. :lol:

What was happening is that he was measuring in lbs and quoting the numbers in grams.(which threw me off from the start) He was saying that my rolls were weighing in at .48 lbs or 217.724 grams versus his "controlled" roll of .50 lbs or 226.8 grams.

F5

Last edited:
I have had this happen with quarters I found at the beach. Some coins were very thin. Tried using them at a vending machine, each one just went right to the reject coin bin since they were too thin and light. The beach over time will "sand them down quite a bit. For these, I roll them and deposit them at the bank.

All U.S. coins are minted with a specific weight in grams. Each is allowed a tolerance range of usually +/- 1% to 3%. Coin World Almanac list each design weight and the tolerance of all U.S. coins.

In my opinion his method is ridiculous considering that they are clad coins. If he was buying silver coins he "might" have a point but only if the price of silver was in the stratosphere. If you took a roll of silver Roosevelt dimes and compared them to a roll of well circulated Mercury dimes, the Mercury dime roll would be smaller even though the coin count would be the same.
Probably trying to scam people who would believe his story and he'd pay them less for their coins than their true face value.

Back
Top Bottom