Minelab PRO Find 35 goes toast water detecting

TommyJay

Forum Supporter
Hunted a swimming hole today with the 800, and my PRO Find 35, which was the first water hunt for the pinpointer. First target in a foot deep of water, the 35 worked fine initially, but then started acting up. I could turn it off, then on and it would work for about 10 seconds. I did this a couple of more times, and finally it just stopped working.

I can turn it on and off with the report, but I cant adjust the the depth setting, and it wont pick up any metal. I took the battery out and noticed a few drops of water inside, so right now I have it sitting in the sun to see if the innards would dry out...any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Unfortunately I will probably have to send it to mine lab, but I do not have the receipt anymore.

Some folks here have had their 800's get water inside of their display box and fry out their machines. I dont water detect much, but up to this point I havent had a problem with the 800.

Just wanted to let people know.

Last edited:
I don't know what to suggest beyond what keeping it open and drying it out (which you're already doing). Even if you get it to work again, I think sending it back to Minelab for a thorough look through would be helpful, assuming it's under warranty.

Check to see if there are any cracks around the 35's handle where the threads are. Sometimes cracks can form if you overtight the cap a few times. Also make sure the threads and O-ring are meticulously clean and free of dust or dirt. And regularly add some silicone grease to the o-ring.

Thanks for all the feedback. Drying it out in the hot sun worked. Upon further inspection, I found a crack along one of the mold lines near the threads, and had a buddy thats familiar with molds look at it. He said that it was a manufactures defect.......so back to minelab.

Thanks for all the feedback. Drying it out in the hot sun worked. Upon further inspection, I found a crack along one of the mold lines near the threads, and had a buddy thats familiar with molds look at it. He said that it was a manufactures defect.......so back to minelab.

It probably is.

I've heard of that problem multiple times. My guess is that Minelab designed the threads so that the cap can be screwed on too far before it "bottoms out."

Back
Top Bottom