Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > How to Use Your Metal Detector

Notices

Old 08-11-2018, 12:30 AM

Question Equinox 11" coil - pinpointing mode

A noob question from a noob.

When using pinpointing mode with the Equinox stock coil, is there a sweet spot? For a shallow target I can easily find it with a pinpointer or a coin probe. But not for deep targets.

I try to do the sweep, move 90 degrees, sweep again technique, but either I am doing something wrong, or I forget where I got the strongest signal before moving and I am swiping in the wrong area. Sometimes I get no signal after moving, it only picks up sweeping from one angle.

The weird thing is, when I move the coil side to side, and front to back, I am able to find the strongest signal. Like the cross-hairs of a gun. So there must be a spot on the coil that this signal can be best localized to. I don't think it's the center of the coil. It must be along the vertical midline, but what I haven't the faintest idea about the top-bottom orientation of horizontal line that crosses it. Sometimes it ends up being near the bottom of the coil after I dig it up. Other times closer to the center, or even above it.

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

Old 08-11-2018, 12:51 AM
Elite Member

Mine it right where the shaft and cool meet! Hope that helps!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 AM
Supporter

I did some testing at home to find the sweet spot but I rarely use my Nox to pin point unless my AT carrot doesn't pick up the target.

Old 08-11-2018, 08:33 AM
Supporter

I think most of the pinpointing problems are caused by other either ferrous or nonferrous objects in the ground near the intended target. Try burying a coin in clean ground and pinpointing it. BTW, I usually just cross the target with short sweeps without using the pinpoint button. If I do use the pinpoint button I still make an X with it. The target should be directly under the coil where the coil attaches to the lower rod.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:34 AM
Supporter

What headphones are you using? If you are using the WM08 or the Low Latency Bluetooth there should be no problem but if you are usning just plain Bluetooth headphones there is a delay in the audio signal that makes pin pointing a real challenge.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:48 PM

Thank you everyone. So it's the spot under the connection with the rod.

So far I haven't used headphones -- I've been lucky to be able to use the speaker, so no delay. But that's an excellent point about sound delay. I have custom earplugs so in the summer I was thinking of using these Beats insert earphones that I got with an iPad, but I don't know if they are low-latency or regular Bluetooth. I may get another pair if they don't work. I wonder if there are waterproof low-latency BT insert phones out there. I have a pair of splash-proof cheap BT headphones - they are less likely to be low-latency than the Beats one.

Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Ohiodigger View post
Mine it right where the shaft and cool meet! Hope that helps!
I agree, for a lone coin.

Tags
equinox 800, pinpointing