*UPDATE ID FOUND* Water finds yesterday. Not a sword hanger, but still pretty cool.....

The Wolf

Elite Member
I took my new kayak and AT Pro out for a day on the river. I got into a spot and found the two D rings and a hanger of some sort. There always seems to be a debate on CW period sword hangers vs horse tack so I'm not gonna make a call on it until the evidence adds up to prove it. I will say that I have seen these exact type of solid cast D rings on a sword belt as well as a carbine sling, and since the D rings and hanger were found practically in the same hole, it does add to the possibility. But the rings could have come from a saddle as well. The construction on the hook is cast brass with a riveted thinner, but heavy duty brass clip/keeper/flap. Other finds round the area include a .69 musket ball, a colt pistol bullet, and an unusual bullet that I have never found before. After some research, I believe it to be an early model Sharps & Hankins carbine bullet. Mason & McKee # 71. Flat base with one ring. It's been fired but still fairly easy to make an accurate id.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the hook and bullet. I can't wait for more river treasure this summer!

Attachments

• photo 1 (2).JPG
    photo 1 (2).JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 1,101
  • photo 2 (2).JPG
    photo 2 (2).JPG
    100.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • photo 1 (3).JPG
    photo 1 (3).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,075
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,075
  • photo 3 (2).JPG
    photo 3 (2).JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 1,062
  • photo 4 (1).JPG
    photo 4 (1).JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 1,038
  • photo 5 (1).JPG
    photo 5 (1).JPG
    122.8 KB · Views: 1,028
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 1,148
You were able to all that with an Atpro? Wow :)

All kidding aside ..Nice finds!

Your right those flimsy Atpro's :lol::lol::lol:
I have beat the heck out of mine on land and water only problem was a broken arm cuff and Garrett promptly sent me 2 spares, the first 1 didn't arrive soon enough.

Man I've searched google from a-z for info on that clip hook. Looks familiar to me for some reason but maybe it's just due to the design similar to types still in use. Maybe get Ran to take a look at it he has a great eye for things as you know.

Not hijacking your thread but while we're on the general subject ...where was I today? :D

CEE14CC3-86A2-4C21-8AA0-A95EA6471535_zpskttdcbrt.jpg

88CE76C4-6981-4BBC-9E15-53D2F16F3F61_zpss32xus7w.jpg

Looks like Drewry's Bluff to me...
Pretty cool Pics.
Wouldn't you love to comb that area with a metal detector???:shock::yes:

Yep, I knew it was going to be an easy guess for you guys :)

There were some recently up rooted trees, I peeked just to see if anything was hanging in the roots and daydreamed about waving my pinpointer around in there. Lol.

That don't look like a sword hanger to me it looks more modern. It looks more like a suitcase, school bag, or a purse hook.

If you can find someone on a forum somewhere who says it's a sword hanger, it's definitely a sword hanger... :laughing:

In seriousness, those clips have a number of potential uses... have dug a couple myself and assumed they were horse related as I found them on farms along with a number of other tack pieces...

Yep, I knew it was going to be an easy guess for you guys :)

There were some recently up rooted trees, I peeked just to see if anything was hanging in the roots and daydreamed about waving my pinpointer around in there. Lol.

Nice pics man. Just down river from there, I did some scuba diving last year around Chaffins Bluff. Found a few things, but the coolest thing was the water was so clear there due to the rock quarry type river bed and cliffs. You could see clearly all the way down to 15ft or so. Try to do that anywhere else in the James....no way Jose.

If you can find someone on a forum somewhere who says it's a sword hanger, it's definitely a sword hanger... :laughing:

In seriousness, those clips have a number of potential uses... have dug a couple myself and assumed they were horse related as I found them on farms along with a number of other tack pieces...

Haha. Sounds like you also remember that post a few months back. I'm not really sure on it. I think it's old, but more modern than CW. I think maybe I just found a spot where a saddle, sachle, harness or belt got left behind. It could be anything.

Come on, buddy! Call it definitely a sword hanger:laughing: things are a little slow on here right now. That should stir things up!

Seriously, I haven't been able to decide what they are for sure -- we'll probably never know. But some real cool finds. I like the looks of that bullet

Back
Top Bottom