(UPDATED) Found US Calvary Saber Pommell

Seven

Forum Supporter
I have a find that I have had in the ID pile for about three weeks now. I concluded that it was probably the metal end of an old table leg. I dug this piece in an area we have been working for the past month in search of a Civil War camp and battle site in our area. Our efforts had produced some Minnie balls and round balls here and there and a few other period items but no concentration of Civil War artifacts. My hunting partner had suggested that he thought it might be a piece off a sword, but I really hate to jump to the conclusion that everything we find is something special. I disagreed.

Well, last night the wife doing some Christmas shopping in Mount Juliet, TN so I had her drop me off at the bookstore so I could pick up some books of Civil War bullets and other artifacts. Got a couple of bullet books and hit the magazine rack and found four Civil War related magazines and purchased all four. This morning I was thumbing through the January 2014 issue of America's Civil War and on the last page there was a picture that caught my eye. It is an 1850 foot officer's sword that had been struck by a bullet. But attached to the butt end of the sword was my mystery piece.

The piece on the sword in the magazine is very ornate and mine is plain, but it is the same piece. I had already cleaned my piece, but there was never any evidence of any ornate decoration on my piece. My best guess is that this piece came off a common soldier's sword and not that of an officer.

The field where this piece was found produced only a few Barber coins and a Calvary Bridle Rosette, all of which date later than the Civil War. We didn't completely cover this field because we found so few items, but now I'm thinking it might be worth another shot. I GPS all my finds on the CTX 3030 so I know exactly where it was found. Hopefully, there might be another piece to the sword still there.

Attachments

• sword composite.jpg
    sword composite.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 399
Last edited:
Thanks! I'm thinking if someone lost the sword, it could've been broken by the plow and could be scattered in pieces across the field. I'd definitely try to find it, and dig big iron too! Maybe you'll find the blade!

Or you could dig everything like me. Lol. Ive dont have a good discrimination and therefore have a big nail collection. :cool:

Thanks! I'm thinking if someone lost the sword, it could've been broken by the plow and could be scattered in pieces across the field. I'd definitely try to find it, and dig big iron too! Maybe you'll find the blade!

I was thinking the same thing Luke. It would be odd for just this one piece to be in the field I would think. At least the rest of the handle should be there. We are on the main Civil War site now and will stay there until it plays out. When we finish there I'm definitely going back to see if the rest of the sword is there.

Awesome find! Pat yourself on the back for a good job on the id!

Thanks Chip. It's just a matter of a lot of research and a lot of searching. It's really different from coin shooting in a school yard - which I also love to do - but with artifact hunting we may hunt 4-6 hours for one or two good finds. The day I found this piece I hunted for five hours and got this piece, a Calvary bridle rosette, and one head stamp. Not many signals and not many pieces, but two of the three were good finds. Thanks for looking.

Back
Top Bottom