Shotshell "Headtamp" Site

turtlefoot

Headstamp Addict
Hi All,

I have been asked by several members about my "headstamp" site. I plan on getting it back up and going, but it will take me some time. I had it hosted on a free web hosting site and had some issues. I plan on doing it "right" this time and make it it's own stand alone .com.

If you have any questions about "headstamps" just give me a holler.

Doug

I had no idea that people actually collect these things. Can't imagine they have much $ value but idk. I see some that post them here. We have a site here in So.Cal that was popular in the 1900s-1930s. Migrating ducks and geese were the game. I have found many over the years just a stones throw from the marsh of this old club. But the salt destroys about 95% of these head stamps. I just trash them.

This is great news to hear Turtlefoot! I certainly enjoyed having your knowledge years back on this site and having your website as a resource for sure. Very happy to see you back here! :cool:

That's great news, I hope you can get it up and running!
For me being able to date head stamps tells me more about my spots if I can get a feeling date wise when there was activity there, thanks!

I had no idea that people actually collect these things. Can't imagine they have much $ value but idk. I see some that post them here. We have a site here in So.Cal that was popular in the 1900s-1930s. Migrating ducks and geese were the game. I have found many over the years just a stones throw from the marsh of this old club. But the salt destroys about 95% of these head stamps. I just trash them.

They have no value monetary at all. I have a true passion for them. I love the history. In all honesty, I would rather find a new headstamp than a Merc or Barber dime. Shotshell heads can help in dating some sites too.

It’s great to see your name back up Doug! Headstamps can absolutely tell you something about a site, and therefore they do have “value”, albeit very little monetarily. Please do direct us in the right direction should you be successful in the site setup! And TIA for your ongoing efforts!:yes:

It’s great to see your name back up Doug! Headstamps can absolutely tell you something about a site, and therefore they do have “value”, albeit very little monetarily. Please do direct us in the right direction should you be successful in the site setup! And TIA for your ongoing efforts!:yes:

Thank you for the encouragement and kind words. I appreciate it.

Doug

Hi All,

I have been asked by several members about my "headstamp" site. I plan on getting it back up and going, but it will take me some time. I had it hosted on a free web hosting site and had some issues. I plan on doing it "right" this time and make it it's own stand alone .com.

Doug

I’d love to see your headstamp site back up and running, turtlefoot! I know some folks consider them an annoyance or trash, but I enjoy finding them for several reasons. They often have a researchable history that I find interesting, they can help date the ground you’re hunting, they build a picture of what the site used to be used for, and give you an idea how far you might have to dig to reach silver. Not bad for the “lowly” headstamp! And I still have virtually every headstamp I’ve dug.

I’m a regular supporter of this forum (and a select few other “homegrown” websites) because I greatly appreciate the educational and entertainment benefits it’s provided to me, and I value the effort that goes into maintaining it. Once you get your site back up, I wouldn’t hesitate to donate on a regular basis to help defray costs - I believe it’s that important of a resource!

Hi All,

Doug

Wasn't there someone down under, Australia or New Zealand, who was keeping up the headstamp site, I thought with your knowledge and OK??

Last Saturday in a small field next to my house, I dug up three 12ga brasses of various lengths. They look old and I wanted to ask you how you clean yours up.

Wasn't there someone down under, Australia or New Zealand, who was keeping up the headstamp site, I thought with your knowledge and OK??

Yes, but I have about 70 more than I originally had. I also plan on adding a page for non-US manufactured shotshells. In my opinion, the more information about headstamps the better for the hobbyist and researcher. I did tell the guy from Australia that I planned on rebuilding the site sometime in the future.

Doug

Good to hear turtlefoot! I have some headstamps that date to the 1890's. They're one thing that are in abundance in my neck of the woods.:lol: Let us know when you get it all set up. GL and HH!

Good to hear turtlefoot! I have some headstamps that date to the 1890's. They're one thing that are in abundance in my neck of the woods.:lol: Let us know when you get it all set up. GL and HH!
That's cool that you have found some good ones here in the Ozarks! 1920's-1930's is all that I have found so far. I will let everyone know the URL when I get it going again.

Doug

Glad you are getting the site back together. Never thought about pesky headstamps, but now others have said they are a good site indicator and possible a tell for digging other stuff we are interested in.

Now I will pay attention to my headstamp finds instead of just throwing them in the junk box. Another research tool in my quiver.

Thanks for what you are doing, it will help a lot of us.

Glad you are getting the site back together. Never thought about pesky headstamps, but now others have said they are a good site indicator and possible a tell for digging other stuff we are interested in.

Now I will pay attention to my headstamp finds instead of just throwing them in the junk box. Another research tool in my quiver.

Thanks for what you are doing, it will help a lot of us.

They are definitely a good tool for helping with site dating and land usage (and good for collecting too :roll:)

Doug

Back
Top Bottom