• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Equinox Disappearing Signal

AllMetalDan

So I’m using Park 1 using the default settings and I have a solid signal so I dig a plug. After I flip the plug and check the hole using the coil, there’s no signal. When I flip the plug back, the signal returns. Any idea why that’s happening? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the world of multi frequency!!

giphy.gif

I have a lot of learning to do. lol

So I’m using Park 1 using the default settings and I have a solid signal so I dig a plug. After I flip the plug and check the hole using the coil, there’s no signal. When I flip the plug back, the signal returns. Any idea why that’s happening? Thanks.

What exactly do you mean, "When I flip the plug back?"

What exactly do you mean, "When I flip the plug back?"

When I cover the hole with the plug and scan the ground, the signal appears again. When I flip the plug over and scan the plug, no signal. Never had that problem with my AT Pro.

I’m going to wait and see what more experienced Equinox 800 users say, BUT: I am amazed at how small of a target my 800 will detect, I mean SMALL little things that have solid signals when first being swept over. Just earlier tonight, my 800 went off, dug down like 8”, the carrot starts picking “it” up...but 5 minutes later I still haven’t discovered what “it” was. After repeated meticulous pinpointing, this TINY little thing comes out of this pile of dirt, with a number 2 visible. But it’s the size of maybe 1/8 of a pea. Looks more like a rock than metal to me. The 800 does things my first detector never did, like what you’re describing. I think there WAS something in that plug.

1 of 2 things are going on and maybe 3.

1. If your in multi freq and your near iron it could be the coil falsing on iron nearby and when the plug is out of the ground your coil is further away from the subject causing the machine to not see the iron halo and not give off any sounds.

2. The target the detector sees is on top of the ground and extremely tiny. When you flip the plug upside down the machine no longer sees the target as it is too far away. And when you replace the plug it is on top of the ground again where the coil can see it.

3. This is probably what is really happening........your spending too much time thinking about it instead of flipping the plug back into place and continuing on with metal detecting and forgetting about what just happened to the disappearing tiny target!!!!

See it's all better now!!

1 of 2 things are going on and maybe 3.

1. If your in multi freq and your near iron it could be the coil falsing on iron nearby and when the plug is out of the ground your coil is further away from the subject causing the machine to not see the iron halo and not give off any sounds.

2. The target the detector sees is on top of the ground and extremely tiny. When you flip the plug upside down the machine no longer sees the target as it is too far away. And when you replace the plug it is on top of the ground again where the coil can see it.

3. This is probably what is really happening........your spending too much time thinking about it instead of flipping the plug back into place and continuing on with metal detecting and forgetting about what just happened to the disappearing tiny target!!!!

See it's all better now!!

+1 for bigtim’s #2. His #1 is a likely possibility also, especially if the OP had the horseshoe button off and therefore all iron disc’d out.

I get iffy high tones all the time because my dirt is loaded with iron bits and bobs.
Even with iron bias set high.
I used to dig a lot of empty holes, sometimes I would find small iron.
Got tired of that so now I shove my digger in the dirt, lift up just a little which usually breaks the "halo"...if there is such a thing, and the high tone goes away and usually reverts to definite iron only signal.
Saved my back and a ton of useless digging since I started doing this.

Last edited:
When you say you get a solid signal...is that both directions of swing? And do you turn 90 degrees and try again and it's still solid?

I get iffy high tones all the time because my dirt is loaded with iron bits and bobs.
Even with iron bias set high.
I used to dig a lot of empty holes, sometimes I would find small iron.
Got tired of that so now I shove my digger in the dirt, lift up just a little which usually breaks the "halo"...if there is such a thing, and the high tone goes away and usually reverts to definite iron only.
Saved my back and a ton of useless digging since I started doing this.

I might give that try. Thanks.

When you say you get a solid signal...is that both directions of swing? And do you turn 90 degrees and try again and it's still solid?

Yes, I always check at different angles. I read on another site that the disappearing signal might be small pieces that are near the surface that the Nox detects as a loud and solid signal.

I’m going to wait and see what more experienced Equinox 800 users say, BUT: I am amazed at how small of a target my 800 will detect, I mean SMALL little things that have solid signals when first being swept over. Just earlier tonight, my 800 went off, dug down like 8”, the carrot starts picking “it” up...but 5 minutes later I still haven’t discovered what “it” was. After repeated meticulous pinpointing, this TINY little thing comes out of this pile of dirt, with a number 2 visible. But it’s the size of maybe 1/8 of a pea. Looks more like a rock than metal to me. The 800 does things my first detector never did, like what you’re describing. I think there WAS something in that plug.

+1 on your experience, though not sure if that is what happened with the OP's dig

I recently dug a plug after getting a signal with my Nox 800 and then got a signal with my Garrett pinpointer but could not find what was causing the signal.

So I would put handfuls of loose dirt on my plug cloth and scan it with my pinpointer, kept getting a signal but still could not see any target, spreading the dirt out in a thinner layer I finally found a very very tiny bit of metal, about the shape and size of as you cut a 1/8 inch piece of wire, since it was dirty like the dirt it blended in pretty good.

Sometimes the tiniest targets make a good signal but difficult to find :lol:

What was the numerical target ID for this "disappearing target" and what mode were you using and your sensitivity level?

Also, the depth meter on any VLF detector including the Equinox is calibrated for coin sized objects. If your object was tiny, it could be on the surface and the Nox depth meter could read 6" or more. Just the opposite scenario for a 10" deep aluminum can which reads 2" deep on the depth meter.

I dig tiny targets on purpose gold prospecting. I will spend all day digging stuff no handheld pinpointer will hit, not even a Whites TRX. That's why we gold prospectors always carry plastic scoops with us to find the little stuff and we wear out the top of our search coils too. You would be shocked at the size of the targets that the Equinox in Park 2, Field 2, Gold 1 or Gold 2 Multi, the Deus/ORX using the HF coils above 31 kHz and several other high frequency detectors will hit with great tones. If I set up my Equinox correctly it will hit the titanium tip on a Bic pen out to 3" in an air test.

Last edited:
It can be a small target like other people said, but it also could be when you flip the plug over there is trash near the bottom of the plug that mask the target, it happens at times.

Had this happen once. It got quite frustrating after a few times. After poking around a bit I discovered that the quarter that I was after was turning up on edge when I flipped up the plug and then would lay flat when I put the plug back. I realize that this is probably a rare event in that a lot things have to line up just right for this kind of thing to happen, but it could be a possible explanation in your case. GL & HH

Back
Top Bottom