New from Vermont

somevermontdude

Hello!
Brand new to the forum so wanted to introduce myself. I just started Metal Detecting a couple months ago. Been wanting to try it out for a while and figured this was the year to start. I was able to kind of permanently borrow (i.e. well I'll let you borrow mine - I'll probably never need it back though...) a White's MXT tracker e-series eclipse 950. I bought myself a Garrett Carrot and a shovel and have been detecting three sites. One is a foundation, the next was an old farm field that is now forest, and the last was part of an old stagecoach road apparently. I'm hoping to hear back today or tomorrow about permission for part of a farm that my 5th-great-grandfather owned that had a small house up the road that his mother lived in once she got elderly. Should add even more of a personal touch!

My primary interest is for relics at old homesites. Coins are obviously great too but I'm mostly interested in matching up an old homesite or farm to the people who lived there. I greatly enjoy researching people and places from long ago and finding things at their old homesites or roads from that time is what really gets me interested and excited. I have no interest in selling stuff for scrap or finding modern coins at beaches, etc. Nothing wrong with it, but just isn't why I'm interested in the hobby.

I do have one question, which I'm not sure belongs here or not. I have my White MXT detector, which is doing the job nicely it seems, but I do have issues with it where it'll detect something, and I start digging, and the signal completely goes away, with the Garrett pinpointer confirming that, making it a false reading. I've been trying to find what makes more modern detectors like the XP Deus or a Garrett different than my now older MXT, but outside of appearing that they do a better job at prospecting (which I have no interest in), and have better depth, I'm not finding a lot. Is it worth investing in something more modern? The MXT still seems really solid from what I've read, but am looking for any input folks may have.

Last edited:
northcountrydig

Welcome from the NY border. What part of VT are you in? As for losing a signal, sometimes metal rusts and dissipates in the soil when you dig. Frequency if you are near another detector, etc.

Welcome to the forum

The MXT is by far one of the best White's ever made. There is a lot of detectors on the market now that are lighter, faster recovery etc etc but that machine is rugged and seldom needs service. Depending what you are searching for Relic works best 2 tones at little more than half throttle (gain)
it is deep and accurate. Mine is 15 years old and going strong.

As far as service it can collect dirt inside the box. They are not complicated
to work on. When replacing batteries on e series and beach hunters place the battery pack in slowly, don't drop it in to preserve contacts. they can bend.

I did some detecting in the Middleberry , New haven, Vergennes area some 40 years ago and did well. New England is by far the best hunting I ever had.

Living in Florida is great with all the beaches to hunt but I would take NE black flies and all .:detector:

Plenty of old farmhouses to poke around in that state. I don't know if it's just legend at this point, but I heard tell there's still treasure tucked away within the recesses of Smuggler's Notch. Pretty hilly country to scan, and not without its tree roots, but I don't think I could resist scanning the area for anything bootleggers might have dropped – or sealed away.

Back
Top Bottom