New Garrett 300i owner - LOTSA Questions

tirediron

So... metal detecting is one of those things that I always had a vague interest in, but never actually did anything bout. A couple of days ago I received a Garrett 300i and ProPointer AT combination as a birthday gift. From what I can tell it's a decent, entry-level machine. I was out for a couple of hours this morning in a local park, and also did some playing around in the yard, and have a [quite] a few questions...

1. So far, I've been suing it with the sensitivity down two notches, and in 'all metal' mode; since I don't have any special interests, more just "Hey, what can I find?" - is this a good starting point, or are their refinements I should make?

2. I notice that sudden pressure on the coil (letting it hit the ground, light taps against trees, etc) produced a target tone; I've seen a couple of comments that indicate this is "normal". Is this something unique to this detector, or is it a common issue?

3. I noticed that irrespective of how close to the surface a target was, even when it was right on the surface, the detector seemed to indicate it was 3-4 or more inches down. Now I understand that the depth indicator is not something you can trust implicitly, but is this normal behaviour, and how do I interpret it?

Thanks!!

So... metal detecting is one of those things that I always had a vague interest in, but never actually did anything bout. A couple of days ago I received a Garrett 300i and ProPointer AT combination as a birthday gift. From what I can tell it's a decent, entry-level machine. I was out for a couple of hours this morning in a local park, and also did some playing around in the yard, and have a [quite] a few questions...

1. So far, I've been suing it with the sensitivity down two notches, and in 'all metal' mode; since I don't have any special interests, more just "Hey, what can I find?" - is this a good starting point, or are their refinements I should make?

2. I notice that sudden pressure on the coil (letting it hit the ground, light taps against trees, etc) produced a target tone; I've seen a couple of comments that indicate this is "normal". Is this something unique to this detector, or is it a common issue?

3. I noticed that irrespective of how close to the surface a target was, even when it was right on the surface, the detector seemed to indicate it was 3-4 or more inches down. Now I understand that the depth indicator is not something you can trust implicitly, but is this normal behaviour, and how do I interpret it?

Thanks!!

I owned the 300 and it’s a decent machine. You are doing good by running zero disc (all metal), that’s your deepest mode. The coil making noises and the depth meter thing are totally normal, if your target is coin sized the depth meter will usually indicate a bit deeper then the target. And to prevent the coil problem, just swing it about half an inch to an inch off the ground.

Back
Top Bottom