Is there a Barber club? Dime-level membership requested.

k2gleaner

Elite Member
I found my second-ever silver, a nice 1900 Barber dime. My 11yo son and I were detecting an old farmhouse with time running out, we headed across the field for the 400-yd tell to the truck. I'm swinging along at a decent stride, and boom. 30 feet from the asphalt and truck, I catch a clear ding. I back up and get a clear 81-82. Six inches down. Came out pretty clean.

I cleaned it like I cleaned my '44 Walking Liberty half - in boiling-hot water over aluminum foil and baking soda. I fear it's a little pitted now. Doesn't have that "buttery" feel it had coming out of the ground.

I also liked how it looked pretty to serious cleaning. Before pics are only after fondling it with my fingers for a bit.

This is my second silver this year, and really, second in less than 30 days. (I know, some of you are giving for 100 or more in a year).

The best part is me popping the plug - and having my son find it, while I waited for the ID. His exclamation of "DAD! 1900!!!" was awesome.
ef4bda66cbb24507140aaf4b2d1bdeb6.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Congrats on the Barber dime. Too bad about the cleaning. It really didn't need it. If I have one that's heavily tarnished I'll rub it with some baking soda/water paste using my finger for about 10 or 15 seconds. I'm fine if it still has a bit of discoloration.

Good job for you and your son.
On your next silver coin find try just normal cold tap water, and dawn dish soap.
no scrubbing just gently clean with a tooth brush
Really no need for boiling water an foil....

Nice find but never clean a silver coin just use running water and soft toothbrush

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 'pre-cleaned' is much better.

Simple soap and water then maybe aluminum foil and baking soda for a few seconds to convert tarnish (silver sulfide) back to silver.

Maybe post this is the "cleaning find" sub-forum with a title of this is not what to do.

Nice Barber Dime but sorry to say it looked much better before the "cleaning". The vast majority of silver coins come out of the ground looking good with no need to clean them other than maybe mild soap and water.

Nice save on the Barber dime. Maybe a little overboard on the cleaning, I use Zymol cleaner wax, a few drops, let it sit a couple minutes and it'll clean up all but the worst black crusted silver. Then I spit in tinfoil and let it sit over night, then use the Zymol. Also works great on aluminum tokens and black vehicles. Good luck and again congrats on the silver. Mark

I found my second-ever silver, a nice 1900 Barber dime. My 11yo son and I were detecting an old farmhouse with time running out, we headed across the field for the 400-yd tell to the truck. I'm swinging along at a decent stride, and boom. 30 feet from the asphalt and truck, I catch a clear ding. I back up and get a clear 81-82. Six inches down. Came out pretty clean.

I cleaned it like I cleaned my '44 Walking Liberty half - in boiling-hot water over aluminum foil and baking soda. I fear it's a little pitted now. Doesn't have that "buttery" feel it had coming out of the ground.

I also liked how it looked pretty to serious cleaning. Before pics are only after fondling it with my fingers for a bit.

This is my second silver this year, and really, second in less than 30 days. (I know, some of you are giving for 100 or more in a year).

The Barber half and dime in my post below are what I'm talking about as a silver coin in need of cleaning. Something about the soil wasn't kind to them and they came out of the ground completely black. A few feet from each other. The photos in the thread are the after photos after a baking soda and water rub.

Otherwise, my keeper coins rarely touch water. Non-silver keepers are detailed with a toothpick and then some of those are soaked for about an hour in olive oil. Clad, common wheats, and so on are bulk tumbled just to clean them up for cashing them in.

https://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=275850

That's a great find! What an exciting moment & special memory for you and your son. :grin:

This is a Washington cleaned with a 50/50 peroxide/water mixture and a spray bottle... no scrubbing

42b60ea13cc02523e9bdabd37907b36b.jpg

This is a Washington cleaned with a 50/50 peroxide/water mixture and a spray bottle... no scrubbing

42b60ea13cc02523e9bdabd37907b36b.jpg

If anything a soft brush tooth brush, no firm bristles.

Yeah, I regret cleaning it. It didn't respond the way my walking liberty half did. But hey, I'm learning. Silver #2 and hopefully many more to come. I'll be more cautious.

Thanks for the comments and advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom