• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Two-fer gets me to #76

markinswpa

Forum Supporter
Able to get out 5 times since my last post and have to say doing pretty good. I moved my silver goal fty up to 75 back in Aug. when I hit 50 which was my initial target for this year. Well that happened today +1 so now maybe thinkin the century mark. Maybe ? Let me back up a little, last week I went back to the place where I dug the 1847 large cent, hit a high signal and when it came out I thought I had old worn quarter but turns out to be a sterling medal of some sort although the makers name was all that was on it. Forstner Bros. started back in the 20s. That was the only silver that day. BUT a high tone, by a big root, depth meter said 4 to 6 in down, a 26-27 on the 800. So I pop a couple of in. of dirt along the edge of the root, stick my AT PP in, nothing, huh ? widen the hole to discover about 4in. to the one side of the root there is a large root running diagonal to the first. Scan the hole, check pile, nothing, not a peep, from the 800 or the PP. Fill the hole and as I'm getting to move on I rescan and again I get a 28-29-30 with a nice tone. Aw C'MON, dig again, wider and deeper this time, same scenario I did this 4 times, spent probably at least 35-40 minutes f---ing around. The last time I was getting high 30s and good tones. I kept telling myself there has got to be something good down there, finally on the 4rth or5th try out came a 1913 wheatie, it had to be way down under the root. with the tone and the #s I thought for sure silver was playing hide and seek. Has anyone else that happen, after you pop the plug you lose tone, fill in in and you get tone again and not when the target is in the plug ?

The next trip back there I got a couple Wheaties including a 1909 and the handle of a silver spoon that look like somebody was gonna make a ring with it.

Saturday I go back to a doorknock I tried last week and a friendly young lady answered the door and after a brief conversation I had an a promising new permission. The house dates back to1903, a big flat corner lot. She said her son had a a metal detector and had been through the yard. I told her if he was interested to tell him to come on out. I had just hit my first signal, 12-13 when I noticed him behind me. We got to talkin, nice kid 12 maybe 13 yrs old. Told him I had a nickel about 7in. down and when out comes a 41 Jeff I had his attention. I give it to him, next was a deep high tone but a suspicious one that comes back down to 23 if you massage it. I said this is an old wheatie, couldn't really date it again I gave it to him. But the next dig was Pgh. Railways token, I said sorry kid, don't give tokens up. I said why don't you get your machine and we can compare signals, it could help with what your machine is trying to tell you. His was a Discovery 2200. His first signal he said I think I have a dime here, can you check it, I told him it sounds like a silver dime to me. I had to dig it. He didn't have a digger,out pops a 47 Rosie. Jeez, the kid hits shiny on his first signal . A couple minutes later I got a 42 Merc which put me to 70. We both dug some clad and a few slick Wheaties, also I dug a cool lead soldier. The rain came so I packed it in for the day. I was sure the place had more to offer.

Sunday I went back to the 1847 LC site, mostly clad until I got a high 30s by a tree. I saw one dime on the back and thought maybe I had my first seated. Nope, but it was a pretty nice Barber. That was the only old coin that day. A nice deep 20-21 gave up a gold ring but I knew by the numbers it had to be plated, it was. A cool old valve stem and few other whatzitz and then I got a strong 30-31 not too deep turned out to be a 62 GW on edge about 4 in. down. Not a bad hunt, I only had 2 hrs so was pleased with the outcome, brought me to 72.

Today I only had 3 hrs to hunt. I stopped at my new 1903 permission . Started hitting deep slick wheats right away. Finally I get a deep 12-13 and I say c'mon Tatonka. On Sat. we dug a few old nickels from the 40s so I thought there has to be some Buffs and war nickels here. So I was rewarded with a 35 Buff. # 39 fty, one to go to make a roll. Also dug another Pgh Transit token. Not long after I got a 12-13 but climbing to 15, almost didn't dig, glad I did,a crusty black nickel appeared and a quick rub showed it to be a war nickel. All right # 73, can I get to 75 today. A choppy high tone dropping down to 18 but repeatable gave up a Merc at 8 in. I saw the D mint mark on the back and could only see a 6 on the front, I thought how sweet would that be. Don't carry spray so I had to wait till I got home for the let down, not really. she's still a beauty. One of my last signals as a loud 26, I remember Sat. it was raining as I swung my way back to the truck I got that signal, thinking a memorial, I'll dig that some other time. About 4 in. down the first coin out was wheatie, while I was rooting around with my digger I could have sworn I saw a glimpse of silver, pinpointer confirms another target, out comes a 45 Merc. # 75 fty, made it. Pointer goes off again, out comes her older sister a 42 Merc, AHHH a two fer with a wheat. What Paul Harvey used to say Goood Day.

Finally I want to share with you a pretty cool toke/fob I dug a while back. It came 21-22 and was on edge in the wall of the plug. It was crudded up pretty much ad had it soaking with Zymol cleaner wax. I thought it was aluminum and Zymol works well on corroded aluminum, turns out to be silver plated. This has to be old as the bank boasts a capital of a 100,000. I was able to find the building but no history on the bank. Still a cool piece of small town American history. HH to all that can still get out. Mark

Attachments

• 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 334
  • 012 (2).jpg
    012 (2).jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 268
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 278
  • 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 253
  • 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 264
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 280
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 265
  • 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 238
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 279
  • 006 (2).jpg
    006 (2).jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 269
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 278
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 007 (2).jpg
    007 (2).jpg
    70 KB · Views: 271
  • 009.jpg
    009.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 299
  • Donora.jpg
    Donora.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 016.jpg
    016.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:
You are absolutely killing it lately. Nice batch of finds!
Jerry thank you, I am feeling the pressure of, it getting dark early and the weather shutting us down up here so with that I have been getting out every chance I get and luckily for me its been paying off. Now that I hit my fty # I figure each one will be a bonus. Good luck and enjoy your holiday. Mark

Awesome post Mark ! You've been busy , and very successful too ! Outstanding finds
, photos and commentary ! I really like the way you used that gnarly piece of gray wood , it really highlights the coins . Huge Congratulations !

You are really on a late season run of success Mark. Sure did not take you long to get to 75 from your fifty goal. Now the possibility to reach 100. It will take commitment and some good luck from Mother Nature but it can be done. Congrats on the Silver's and the Buffalo. Neat to see the forty Buff's in a picture when it happens. Trapper

Great finds - also excellent post and pictures.

Doug thank you. HH Mark

Excellent finds Mark,Congrats! I really think that bank token is cool,don’t see them everyday.

Woody thanks, Thought I had big silver but the token/fob was a nice surprise. HH Mark

Awesome post Mark ! You've been busy , and very successful too ! Outstanding finds
, photos and commentary ! I really like the way you used that gnarly piece of gray wood , it really highlights the coins . Huge Congratulations !

SS Thank you for the kind words. The wood is old barn siding I got from a buddy of mine. He used to make plaques for mounting fish and game and some old advertisement logos. Good luck Mark

Way to keep pulling the goodies and awesome assortment of finds. Love the fob! Congrats!

Jason, thanks coming end of the season around here the finds have been pretty good. I wish I had been able to find some history on the old bank. It is one of my cooler finds this year. Good luck. Mark

You are really on a late season run of success Mark. Sure did not take you long to get to 75 from your fifty goal. Now the possibility to reach 100. It will take commitment and some good luck from Mother Nature but it can be done. Congrats on the Silver's and the Buffalo. Neat to see the forty Buff's in a picture when it happens. Trapper

Trapper, I appreciate the comment. A couple of good permissions has really helped move the chains. A few more and some mild weather would be welcome. And yes, a group shot of all the old nickels is in order as this has been a record year. Are you still to get out ? Happy Thanksgiving to you and you family. Mark

Mark, that is one fine variety of collectibles. Those broken sterling spoons are many times more valuable in silver than the coins. Anyone of those silvers would make my day especially a war nick and Barbers. Congrats!

Mark, that is one fine variety of collectibles. Those broken sterling spoons are many times more valuable in silver than the coins. Anyone of those silvers would make my day especially a war nick and Barbers. Congrats![/QUOTE

John thank you for your comments, The spoon handle is the first one I have found that was sterling. War nickels have been slow this year for me and then I find 2 in Nov. I still need 2 more just to tie last years count. In every other category I'm doing pretty good. The last two outings, not so good. I hope I'm not back in a rut again. Good luck, Mark

Outstanding finds and great story / write up Mark! Very cool that you are past the 75 shiny mark, with hopefully more to come for you this last month!

Outstanding finds and great story / write up Mark! Very cool that you are past the 75 shiny mark, with hopefully more to come for you this last month!

LS, Thank you sir. I don't seem to get too many multiple silver hunts like you guys do but have managed at least one on most hunts. I snagged a war nickel today to make it # 79. Will post if I hit 80. Good luck Mark

Back
Top Bottom