What do you put your nice coins in when digging?

I just throw all my coins, tokens or any other small finds in a quart zip-lock baggie. I keep that in the large Garrett finds pouch. Clean up when I get home. HH Mark

I have never been one to carry "yet another" item with me while detecting. So all finds...and I do mean ALL finds go into my Maxpedition fanny pack. The rare occasion that I find something that doesn't fit in the pack I just trudge over to a nearby trash can or the back bed of my pick-up truck. :lol: If it is something valuable it typically earns a break in the front console of my truck before I pile too much into the pouch.

No offense to others, I don't have time to carry around a "foo-foo" box with cotton or whatever :roll:

On the other hand, if I was on the east or central US where seated halves/quarters and shield 'this' or flowing hair 'that' are just "sticking up out of the soil at the nearby park" I may change my mind :laughing:

I usually just wrap the coin in a few leaves before placing in my pants pocket. I haven't scratched a coin yet with this technique.

I use a foo-foo box. :lol:

Seriously, I’ve dug a couple hundred silvers and no key dates that I remember. All silver coins even if they look nice, are damaged at least by hairline scratches from the earth, and rarely are worth much more than melt unless high grade. So, most junk silver goes into the pouch with the rest.

When I find nice stuff like rings with a good stone or nice silver/gold coins I normally just pull my wallet and wrap those items individually in a dollar bill and place it in the bottom of my front pocket. I tried the tissue thing and all I got was mess. I also tried the small zip bags but the soiled coins against the plastic appeared to cause additional damage to the coin surface.

I carry an Altoids Smalls mint box in the fifth pocket of my jeans. I fill it with cotton from an aspirin bottle. Holds a couple of large cents or a few flat buttons.

Attachments

• DSCN0905 (2).jpg
    DSCN0905 (2).jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0904 (2).jpg
    DSCN0904 (2).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 83
Back
Top Bottom