Need Ace 250 info

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
Hi,

I ran into a nice young man at the park that was real interested in metal detecting. He has a degree in anthropology and currently working a temporary type job of AAA auto customer support. so he frequently has several hours of downtime between calls.

I recommend that he start with a used Ace 250 on eBay since he knows nothing about metal detecting and has a baby coming soon so has a limited budget.

Ok, I have never used an Ace 250. I had an AT Pro for 3 years.

can you hunt with the Ace 250 in all metal mode and just listen to different tones like you can with the AT Pro? I want to start him off right listening to the different tones. I don't want to give him any wrong advice.

Why recommend a starter unit that has no VDI numbers when there are so many others out there that do at about the same price?
The Fisher F22 is very capable, the Euro Tek Pro is light years beyond that Ace at about $219 from BigBoys and probably others that sponsor this forum just to mention a few.
Both with multi tones.
I wouldn't look at anything less than the Ace 300, (a VDI number upgrade of the 250), if you absolutely had to get one of the Ace series detectors.
Used, the two I mentioned, the great F2 plus BH Land Ranger Pros can often be found pretty cheap.
Plenty owned and did well with the 250 back in the day when there were limited numbers of cheaper entry level detectors and still do but looking at the choices out there in the modern market new hunters can often find better value and more useable features if they look around.

Why recommend a starter unit that has no VDI numbers when there are so many others out there that do at about the same price?
The Fisher F22 is very capable, the Euro Tek Pro is light years beyond that Ace at about $219 from BigBoys and probably others that sponsor this forum just to mention a few.
Both with multi tones.
I wouldn't look at anything less than the Ace 300, (a VDI number upgrade of the 250), if you absolutely had to get one of the Ace series detectors.
Used, the two I mentioned, the great F2 plus BH Land Ranger Pros can often be found pretty cheap.
Plenty owned and did well with the 250 back in the day when there were limited numbers of cheaper entry level detectors and still do but looking at the choices out there in the modern market new hunters can often find better value and more useable features if they look around.

Thanks, I will look in to that. I have been metal detecting for a long period of time but took time off and were quite a few years before I got back into the hobby with the AT Pro. So I missed out on knowing anything about the range of entry level metal detectors. Which is the reason I asked this question. I knew someone would help me out. I want to give this young man good advice so he gets the best bang for his buck.

I have and Ace 250 and I listen to the tones. I have found that the digital readout that identifies the targets is off a little. Over time I've just adjusted to it and it seems very consistent once I figured it out, but tone guides me more than the readout. I just check the readout to see if it backs up the tone.

Most veteran hunters will go by tone rather than VDI. With the Ace250, i used the bell tone to guide me. The Ace250 uses digital sound so it really doesn't matter which mode you use.

Whats really tragic is the guy has a 4yr Collitch degree in Anthropology!.. No real hope for him or his baby!..Yeah, Dead Man Walking basically...40k+ student loan, no real world skills...so a guy should just sell him some whatever left over crapola a guy has on hand in the trunk!...

Hell! Divining rods!, magic beans!, Hotwheel cars!, towels!, bed knobs and broomsticks! Get the G's!....Theres nothing you can do for this guy..He's a dead man walking...total waste of time, He wouldnt know an Ace 250 from a hole in the ground!.....If he's got cash money in his pocket, left over from teh Student loan, enamored with 'get rich quick' Gold Rush TV shows....just skin him! Great find! :laughing:

Whats really tragic is the guy has a 4yr Collitch degree in Anthropology!.. No real hope for him or his baby!..Yeah, Dead Man Walking basically...40k+ student loan, no real world skills...so a guy should just sell him some whatever left over crapola a guy has on hand in the trunk!...

Hell! Divining rods!, magic beans!, Hotwheel cars!, towels!, bed knobs and broomsticks! Get the G's!....Theres nothing you can do for this guy..He's a dead man walking...total waste of time, He wouldnt know an Ace 250 from a hole in the ground!.....If he's got cash money in his pocket, left over from teh Student loan, enamored with 'get rich quick' Gold Rush TV shows....just skin him! Great find! :laughing:

I am afraid Mud you may be right. We exchanged emails, I emailed him some advice and no reply. Just a dreamer I guess. I used to dream about learning to fly, but worked my ass off and bought an used Cessna Cardinal 177 and THEN took flying lessons. When you buy the plane first it is a good motivator to learn to fly. Everyone thought I was crazy.

$40,000? heck I had a nice young girl artist working for me who just graduated and had a $160,000 student loan. She went to a fancy women's college here in Atlanta. Somebody really made a big mistake. Parents, the girl, the college? No way a new art graduate can or probably ever will pay back $160,000 in student loans. Man for me, it was 3 years in the Army, GI bill for four years of college and no debt. She should have joined the Army and then just declared herself an artist and had fun painting.

Tell him to find a cheap detector. Interest doesn't equal dedication.
I spent $60 on a brand new BH Quicksilver to see if the hobby was for me. I just wanted to fart around with the concept and have something to do with my son at the playground.
If he gets serious with the hobby, then tones will matter and he could decide what detector to get from there.

Back
Top Bottom