Hello from Singapore

thank you to everybody who welcomed me :) do you guys have any tips for dry-sand detecting for me to take note of? Not many detectorists here infact i havent seen one ever

thank you to everybody who welcomed me :) do you guys have any tips for dry-sand detecting for me to take note of? Not many detectorists here infact i havent seen one ever

I find the best targets on the Singapore beaches are where people sit and stand. Sentosa is great for finding lost jewelry on the beaches. Look at the towel line (where people put their towels), and dig all the repeatable signals. You'll find lots of trash, but usually enough change to cover the park entrance fee. I find it extremely helpful to use a sand scoop or shovel to dig out the targets.

When you hit a target, back away from the target wiggling your detector coil until the target isn't making a beeping noise. At this point, the target will be at the TOP of your detector coil. Dig the hole out, and then wave your detector coil over the hole. If you got it in the shovel, it'll not signal. If you missed it, you can then scan the sand you just dug out. Wipe the sand with your feet to spread it out. Be careful when doing this around people, though, as you can easily cause a ring to display fully. If you think you have a great target that might be gold, it's best to be more careful.

When you find your first gold, don't yell and scream about it. :) Just put it in your pocket, keep on digging, and when you're farther away (and about 10 minutes later), THEN you can take it out and look at it! There's too many people who will see the object and then "claim" it's theirs, and... because they've seen it and can describe it, you can't fight it.

If people ask you what you found, you can avoid the question by simply being honest, "A bunch of trash, and a few coins." Nothing dishonest about that. If they directly ask you if you've found gold or silver, ask them back, "Have you lost any?" Then proceed from there. If they have, you can ask them to describe it. If they keep pressing you for if you've found any gold or silver, the method I like best is to simply say, "Sorry mate, I don't share my finds with people I don't know. Have a great day!" and then move on. With this method, you never have to lie.

One thing I've learned, over the years, is that if someone really has lost something and they see you with your detector, they're going to ASK you to come find it for them.

Good luck!

I find the best targets on the Singapore beaches are where people sit and stand. Sentosa is great for finding lost jewelry on the beaches. Look at the towel line (where people put their towels), and dig all the repeatable signals. You'll find lots of trash, but usually enough change to cover the park entrance fee. I find it extremely helpful to use a sand scoop or shovel to dig out the targets.

When you hit a target, back away from the target wiggling your detector coil until the target isn't making a beeping noise. At this point, the target will be at the TOP of your detector coil. Dig the hole out, and then wave your detector coil over the hole. If you got it in the shovel, it'll not signal. If you missed it, you can then scan the sand you just dug out. Wipe the sand with your feet to spread it out. Be careful when doing this around people, though, as you can easily cause a ring to display fully. If you think you have a great target that might be gold, it's best to be more careful.

When you find your first gold, don't yell and scream about it. :) Just put it in your pocket, keep on digging, and when you're farther away (and about 10 minutes later), THEN you can take it out and look at it! There's too many people who will see the object and then "claim" it's theirs, and... because they've seen it and can describe it, you can't fight it.

If people ask you what you found, you can avoid the question by simply being honest, "A bunch of trash, and a few coins." Nothing dishonest about that. If they directly ask you if you've found gold or silver, ask them back, "Have you lost any?" Then proceed from there. If they have, you can ask them to describe it. If they keep pressing you for if you've found any gold or silver, the method I like best is to simply say, "Sorry mate, I don't share my finds with people I don't know. Have a great day!" and then move on. With this method, you never have to lie.

One thing I've learned, over the years, is that if someone really has lost something and they see you with your detector, they're going to ASK you to come find it for them.

Good luck!

Thank you for that,i managed to find a few dollars in coins recently at Changi Beach. Those tips really helped. Nothing valuable so far but the part about Not yelling when finding gold or silver will be hard HAHAHA i will ofcourse be discreet when detecting

welcome from Atlanta, GA

don't ever worry about what type of detector you have. I have a more advanced detector than my son has. He has a starter detector and makes better finds than I do because he digs every signal.

I tend to be more selective, and probably miss more than the does. But he is considerably younger and can do the digging.

Post pictures of some of your finds. We would be interested in what your beaches give up.

don't ever worry about what type of detector you have. I have a more advanced detector than my son has. He has a starter detector and makes better finds than I do because he digs every signal.

I tend to be more selective, and probably miss more than the does. But he is considerably younger and can do the digging.

Post pictures of some of your finds. We would be interested in what your beaches give up.

Will do :) am planning another hunt tomorrow at Sentosa beach,i will post them up,wish me luck. Any tips for dry sand detecting will be helpful.Cheers

Hello there. I see when folks go detecting in Singapore, it's always at the beach but not the parks. When I go there I always end up in the areas away from the southern beaches. Is there any problems detecting parks and open football fields like those at Padang Singapore, Farrer Park Fields and Fort Canning?

Hello there. I see when folks go detecting in Singapore, it's always at the beach but not the parks. When I go there I always end up in the areas away from the southern beaches. Is there any problems detecting parks and open football fields like those at Padang Singapore, Farrer Park Fields and Fort Canning?

Hello,yes well most of those areas are owned by the government therefore we are not allowed to detect on those grounds as opposed to the beaches which is public. Fort Canning has been a treasure trove but im sure the government has recovered whatever they can from those places of interest.

:fmdfwelcome: Thanks for joining us!

It sounds like you've found some neat stuff with your new machine! Like you, I just use an affordable, low-end detector, but I'm happy with it! On the topic of metal detecting videos, when I first started detecting, I really learned a lot from
NuggetNoggin videos. :yes:

Happy hunting and God bless!

Hello,yes well most of those areas are owned by the government therefore we are not allowed to detect on those grounds as opposed to the beaches which is public.....

This statement is confusing. You say the beaches are "public", right ? And "public" means that the government owns them, right ?

But then you turn right around and say that "ground/areas owned by the government , and thus: Not allowed".

If it's simply a matter of what the government "owns", then .... so-too are the beaches "owned" by the government. Eh?

I could certainly understand if the issue is sensitive historic protected monuments. But why not random fields, innocuous parks, etc... ? Or put another way: Is there any law you can point to, that actually says "in-land = no detectors. Versus beaches = ok " ?

Will do :) am planning another hunt tomorrow at Sentosa beach,i will post them up,wish me luck. Any tips for dry sand detecting will be helpful.Cheers

Get yourself a sandscoop, if you haven't already. They speed up the process of finding the target. You can make a simple one that's good enough for the dry sand out of a PVC pipe. There's a bunch of tutorials on youtube. :)

Welcome from Indiana.. My wife and I will soon be back in the Philippines for the winter. The beaches their are full of trash.
Keep up the work. You are doing good. Save your coins and someday you can upgrade. Just get out and have fun. When someone wants to know what you found, Show them some trash you picked up. They will laugh and go their own way.

KEN :D

Back
Top Bottom