It's you fault That's right you with the 800

I have a CTX and just recently got a NOX 800 for my wife to replace her safari. She has taken to it well. I have played with it and learned the settings so I can help her understand it better. She really likes it and holds her own with it. I am thinking of buying another one and use it some myself. I am on a waiting list and should be up next in line when the dealer gets his next shipment.

The CTX is an awesome machine with great stability and a pleasure to detect with The NOX is a very fast and light machine but the ID is not as stable as the CTX and you get less info to go by. You will dig more trash with the NOX but it does sniff out coins really well.

I think both detectors are great and have their place. Where the CTX has it's weaknesses, the NOX is strong. One won't replace the other but having both and using them accordingly will leave the ground void of coins.

You are very right. With that cross any detector probably would have found it. However, the question is HOW MANY folks would have decided to dig it?

Your right too. Kinda. It came in as a 15 while hunting in Park 1. When I opened the plug I saw some yellow mixed in with the gold chain...it was that junk brass square Oakland A's emblem attached to the gold chain. When I got home I threw the cross chain and brass emblem combo then ran my CTX over it. Solid 12.18. Then ran the 800 over it...solid 15 again. Cut off the Oakland A's Emblem ran CTX over it 12.18...Nox calls it a 15 all by itself. Run the CTX over the chain and it's invisible ..CTX barely sees the cross at a 12.01... get 3 inches above it and the CTX does not see it any more. Nox calls the cross all by it's self a 4 and the chain a 1. Hits them both solid up to 4 inches...HOWEVER The Nox will miss the chain if in Park 1 hits it in park 2 no problem.

I got lucky on finding that chain and cross pure and simple. I hunt turf mostly and there are a zillion 1's and 4's out there how many do we dig? The beach is a different story...Better be in Beach 2 if you want to find gold chains.

My CTX is not going anywhere...it's a killer for ring hunting...and discing out those pesky bottle caps.

One more shot of the chain and a 2 gram 14k ring I found as well with the Nox came in as a 10 in park1 stock setting.

strick

Attachments

• 20180424_175309.jpg
    20180424_175309.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 136
  • 20180424_175438(0).jpg
    20180424_175438(0).jpg
    54 KB · Views: 136
Are you in Utah? I used to find Corrupt the Righteous rings there. (Ok Choose the Right)

You are right about the chain itself not being seen by most detectors. But the cross should have set any off. Excal, CZ's, CTX's, and lots of others probably would not see the chain as a good target by itself.

This is where detectors FAIL. Al this discrimination and VID means absolutely nothing. Most detectors can hit most any target. However with VID numbers they call a great piece of gold trash and folks walk over it.

That is because the odds of being a piece of gold are slim.

We had a person recently find a huge gold ring with a Nox. One of the Nox praisers said chalk one up for the Nox.

NOOOO

Chalk one up for the user that decided to dig a zinc penny signal and got rewarded with something a lot better than a zincoln.

The detector does it's job. It tells you there is a piece of metal in the ground. It is up to YOU to decide to dig it and get rewarded with trash or possibly gold.

Good report there Strick...Thats one hell of a find in the dirt let alone anywhere......Lets just chalk it up into the category of "A blind Nut finds a squirrel" kind of deal and move on...:laughing:

The more you dig the more you find...this is an easy hobby lol....not

Strick

From all of the reviews I have seen, the nox is a great detector. Its not a CTX though and isn't meant to be. No GPS. Worse ID. No extra coils (for now). It seems like they are just geared towards different markets. If I were trying to get the best, I would be getting the CTX right now. If I were new looking for an awesome detector on a budget, it would be the nox. My nox is in the mail right now and I can't wait to try it out. I plan on using it as my water machine as I won't take the CTX near the surf (and thats only due to price) but man the depth and ground I cover with that 17'' coil isn't happening on the nox for the time being.

Are you in Utah? I used to find Corrupt the Righteous rings there. (Ok Choose the Right)

California..Thanks for the heads up on the ring as I did not know what it meant I thought it was someones initials.

strick

From all of the reviews I have seen, the nox is a great detector. Its not a CTX though and isn't meant to be. No GPS. Worse ID. No extra coils (for now). It seems like they are just geared towards different markets. If I were trying to get the best, I would be getting the CTX right now. If I were new looking for an awesome detector on a budget, it would be the nox. My nox is in the mail right now and I can't wait to try it out. I plan on using it as my water machine as I won't take the CTX near the surf (and thats only due to price) but man the depth and ground I cover with that 17'' coil isn't happening on the nox for the time being.

I would never expect the Nox to replace the 3030. But if it is a s good as it appears it will be, it will be a welcome machine for short hunts and to carry in my car.

I would never expect the Nox to replace the 3030. But if it is a s good as it appears it will be, it will be a welcome machine for short hunts and to carry in my car.

Definitely. I just got mine yesterday and am playing around with it. Going to take it for a spin during low tide this afternoon. I am writing a review on my blog right now but a few things I noticed right off the bat:

- So easy to use and set up. Very light and recovery is very fast.
- One of my gold rings is ringing up the same number as a penny. This means I won't be able to avoid the pennies. I don't encounter many in the wetsand but dry sand hunting could be an issue.
- You cannot remove the battery. So when it goes, you are going to need to send the machine in to have it replaced or void the warranty by doing it yourself. This won't be good for long hunts when that battery isn't as good in 6-12 months as it was when it was new.

Definitely. I just got mine yesterday and am playing around with it. Going to take it for a spin during low tide this afternoon. I am writing a review on my blog right now but a few things I noticed right off the bat:

- One of my gold rings is ringing up the same number as a penny. This means I won't be able to avoid the pennies. I don't encounter many in the wetsand but dry sand hunting could be an issue.
- You cannot remove the battery. So when it goes, you are going to need to send the machine in to have it replaced or void the warranty by doing it yourself. This won't be good for long hunts when that battery isn't as good in 6-12 months as it was when it was new.

Actually that is not true. Minelab is going to have instructions on how to replace the battery and have replacement batteries.

Your second statement is right on. ANY beep you get from 1 - 35 will have to be dug. NO overload circuit either. I dig it all anyway but now lots more junk will surface. It loves rusty bottle tops.

You are right about the chain itself not being seen by most detectors. But the cross should have set any off. Excal, CZ's, CTX's, and lots of others probably would not see the chain as a good target by itself.

This is where detectors FAIL. Al this discrimination and VID means absolutely nothing. Most detectors can hit most any target. However with VID numbers they call a great piece of gold trash and folks walk over it.

That is because the odds of being a piece of gold are slim.

We had a person recently find a huge gold ring with a Nox. One of the Nox praisers said chalk one up for the Nox.

NOOOO

Chalk one up for the user that decided to dig a zinc penny signal and got rewarded with something a lot better than a zincoln.

The detector does it's job. It tells you there is a piece of metal in the ground. It is up to YOU to decide to dig it and get rewarded with trash or possibly gold.
This is what I am learning. I don't have anything high end when it comes to MD but what I am finding you are correct, It's what you choose to dig. I want to go out with another MD with a high end maching and hit the same spots without digging to see if I can pick it up. I am very sure that the more money you spend, the better or deeper it may detect BUT how does mine compare with my MD skills? I still feel I am the weak link and not my MD.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

I don't like the idea that you can't change the battery. I always carry a extra so I don't have to stop hunting on a good day. I also don't like digging lots of pennies. That's the good thing about the 3030. You can usually cancel the pennies out with no problem. Thanks for the new info.

[/B]

Actually that is not true. Minelab is going to have instructions on how to replace the battery and have replacement batteries.

When I did my search on this last week all I could find was that they said it would be further explained in the manual...and the manual says to take to authorized service center. I also don't see batteries listed in their accessories list. Maybe it will come but I have a feeling we are on our own on this one. Fortunately it seems like it only takes a few minutes to get it out but that might void the warranty.

I don't like the idea that you can't change the battery. I always carry a extra so I don't have to stop hunting on a good day. I also don't like digging lots of pennies. That's the good thing about the 3030. You can usually cancel the pennies out with no problem. Thanks for the new info.

There is a workaround for the battery issue which is to use a solar/portable usb charger. The downfall is that its either extra weight on the machine or something you need to carry and attach to detector...but it is a workaround.

after taking the 800 out for several hunts now, I just have a hard time swinging my CTX.. With the 17" its literally 3x heavier. The 800 will get you tired of pulling tiny aluminum wrappers and pieces of melted cans.. The thing finds everything! Gets old when you hit a 1-2 and its foil... Since so many say that a chain is 1-2.

Back
Top Bottom