First Seated Quarter

BB_in_Maine

Elite Member
Today I went back to a site I got permission for last year - a cornfield that used to be a shipbuilding site in the mid 1800's. On previous trips I had only encountered heavy iron and basically made no real finds to speak of. Today I hit the road going in, and quickly dug an 1837 Large Cent, and then 75 feet away got a deep quarter tone on the AT and dug my first ever Seated Quarter - and an early date at that... Could not believe what I was seeing! What an exciting moment!

After that, another copper, a third possible copper, a Flying Eagle cent, and some buttons! Here's the pics and if you want to see the hunt there's a video as well...

Cheers, BB

https://youtu.be/Pob6UkLcEiU

Attachments

• IMG_1141.jpg
    IMG_1141.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 552
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_1138.jpg
    IMG_1138.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 492
  • IMG_1152.jpg
    IMG_1152.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 504
What a beautiful coin full detail stars and Liberty on the shield congratulations nice job:dingding:

Finding a seated quarter aint easy but finding one older than 1853 is awesome. Most were melted for profit in the early 1850s so yours was surely dropped before that. Great find

Wow! An old Maine Shipbuillding site! Those old tyme pictures of such places and harbors back when there was a massive amount of work going on...Cool and Congratulations!

Wow! An old Maine Shipbuillding site! Those old tyme pictures of such places and harbors back when there was a massive amount of work going on...Cool and Congratulations!

Yes indeed - it was a huge industry around here... yesterday while I was roaming that field I was trying to imagine exactly what it looked like ( this shipyard was pre-photography) based on later photos of 1800's shipyards around here... Probably a very spread out work area with lots of separate projects going on, which explains such a massive scatter of iron. As for finds, I can almost guarantee there are a lot of incredible coins getting masked by all the iron here, so I succeeded yesterday simply by getting out of that iron patch - after these finds I think I need to rethink my approach to this place (and also get permission for the adjoining property!) - I bet there's a lot more to be found...

real nice video, finds, and peaceful field to experience.

Thanks for the nice comment - peaceful tends to describe the places I tend to hunt - I'm not fond of roadside digs even if they are full of coins... I like to be where its quiet, where I can hear nature around me, and where I feel relaxed to just do my thing. Luckily there's a lot of places like that in this part of Maine... ;)

Finding a seated quarter aint easy but finding one older than 1853 is awesome. Most were melted for profit in the early 1850s so yours was surely dropped before that. Great find

I hadn't heard that about the melt, but I have often wondered why early date seated coins turn up so rarely... I think all the seated coins I have found have been from the 1870's - but I'm on sites all the time where I'm regularly finding copper coins from 1800-1850. So that's an interesting piece of history - I'm going to read more about that - thanks!

And thanks everyone for the nice comments! :)

Back
Top Bottom