gold nuggets and coins

Jeep explorer

I moved this form the wrong area to this area.

I have dabbled on the edge of treasure hunting for years, specifically gold panning. Never really found much of anything and have been usually too busy at work to really try. I am going to fly to Caldwell Idaho to buy a new jeep,
(see my introduction post) and will be driving it back to San Diego, So I will have the opportunity to explore some areas known for gold .

I would like recommendations on a metal detector that is oriented toward small nuggets. It should be waterproof as i will likely get it wet in some creeks and channels and such. It would be good if it had some more capabilities such as coins . I don't know if you have to have different technology for load gold vs placer or dry wash. so i need some help there.

I need to purchase it in Idaho because I don't want to try and get it on a plane.

I would like to find used and need to know what to beware
of as well as what to look for.

I am not rich and need to make every penny count. Budget is an issue. I was thinking of less than $400. as a price. The machine should be intuitive and reasonably easy to use and understand and as accurate as is possible for this price range.

I have heard of the fisher gold bug, Garrets and mine labs and see that there are dozens of others.

So what are your suggestions and why? and great big Thanks in advance!

You should be able to snag a used AT Pro or AT Gold in that range. Very good machines. Easy to use and learning curve isn't too steep. Waterproof and dependable.

I moved this form the wrong area to this area.

I have dabbled on the edge of treasure hunting for years, specifically gold panning. Never really found much of anything and have been usually too busy at work to really try. I am going to fly to Caldwell Idaho to buy a new jeep,
(see my introduction post) and will be driving it back to San Diego, So I will have the opportunity to explore some areas known for gold .

I would like recommendations on a metal detector that is oriented toward small nuggets. It should be waterproof as i will likely get it wet in some creeks and channels and such. It would be good if it had some more capabilities such as coins . I don't know if you have to have different technology for load gold vs placer or dry wash. so i need some help there.

I need to purchase it in Idaho because I don't want to try and get it on a plane.

I would like to find used and need to know what to beware
of as well as what to look for.

I am not rich and need to make every penny count. Budget is an issue. I was thinking of less than $400. as a price. The machine should be intuitive and reasonably easy to use and understand and as accurate as is possible for this price range.

I have heard of the fisher gold bug, Garrets and mine labs and see that there are dozens of others.

So what are your suggestions and why? and great big Thanks in advance!

to answer your question which I think is you are looking for and all around detector I would look at the Minelab X TERRA 705 I have been using one since 09 or 2010 it has a good coin mode and has a great dedicated prospecting mode I started out using mine in Ohio and found my best find to date with the 705 now I am in Arizona and use it specifically for detecting gold nuggets
the 705 can run three different frequencies LF (3KHz),MF (7.5 KHz) and HF (18.75 KHz) but you have to purchase a different coil for each frequency that the 705 can run in I purchased a used one at the time that was in like new condition with three coils of each frequency the 705 can run in for a vary good price at the time it is not water proof is the only downside of the 705

The 705 has come down in price considerably with the Equinox coming out the 705 can be purchased new for under $500 and I have seen a few for sale used under $300.

I hope this helps

Also if you go to the minelab web site and sign up then you can search an E BOOK called Understanding Your X TERRA it is free to down load and print out it is choked full of all kinds of info on the X TERRA detectors vary informative written by Randy Horton if you do consider the X TERRA 705 I recommend highly downloading and printing it out and read through it several times and then re read as the manual for the 705 does not tell you every trick with the 705 but Randy Horton's E BOOK does I suggest you look for a dealer in Idaho because there is nothing better than hands on seeing in person

You should be able to snag a used AT Pro or AT Gold in that range. Very good machines. Easy to use and learning curve isn't too steep. Waterproof and dependable.

The AT PRO is a decent machine if you want to just detect coins and things like that but I would not consider it for gold nuggets I also have an AT Pro which sees vary little use if any to me it is one of the most over rated detectors ever made

A Detector Pro Wader or Diver would be good for creeks and you could use it on the beach back in San Diego.

Tesoro sand shark vs xterra 705

So I. Have come to realize that. My budget is unrealistic for what I want to do. Opening the floodgates withinreason. Brings. Me to the detectors mentioned. I understand that the Tesoro is a pi based machine and the xterra a VFLM machine. That they work differently. I think it will be one of these two. So I would like to hear your thoughts on the pros and cons of each. Another question is the Tesoro tiger shark an update to the sand shark. And let’s say I went bonkers and threw in the Garret atx PI as a consideration. Your thoughts?

Tesoro Sand Shark vs xterra 705

So I haved come to the conclusion that my budget is unrealistic for what I want to do. I think opening the floodgates a bit will better suit my goals. Hence the 2 machines mentioned. I get that the Tesoro is PI and the xterra is multi VLF What are you thoughts ? Another question. Is the Tesoro tiger shark an updated. Sand shark? And lastly. If I were to tottaly loose it. What Does the Garret atx pi get me the other machine don’t

First a Tiger Shark is not an update to a Sand Shark. Both are very different machines. A Tiger Shark is a VLF machine and a Sand Shark is a PI machine.

Taking a detector on a plane is no issue at all, either carry on or checked. The problem is only with digging tools. They would have to be checked.

Some time in may

Have to wait for the jeep to be built so around the middle of may had some pretty bad experience with checking stuff like a nice bamboo rod and case destroyed. Gave me a voucher. Like I would flyagiother issues too just can’t see them letting a metal detector past security.

Back
Top Bottom