• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

I wonder..

SoOregonMd

Elite Member
I am wondering how often coins get recycled into the population.

Say you get a box of 1/2's you go through them and then you take back what you don't keep.

a month later you get some more from the bank.. How many of those would be from the same "lot" that you brought back before?

would be interesting to mark a couple and see..

Your thoughts?

Hopefully you're dumping at a different bank than where you're buying, but either way, that's the kind of thing I wonder about as well... Probably not a very good chance seeing how little halves get circulated. Be interesting to find out though. Mark up a roll and keep us posted! ;)
HH!

I have wondered the same thing. I do not dump at the same bank that I order from, but I do sometimes get coins that have been marked by someone. I'm assuming either that means there are other people around me who also CRH and are looking for recycles, or the local banks get the coins from Loomis who gets them from an area that is being CRHed.

There are tons of different hunters marks out there. Unless you take your time to add a unique mark yourself, I think it would be difficult to tell. Some areas are certainly better for CRH than others though. I moved in September 2015 and I rarely CRH anymore because in the past two and a half years I have gotten maybe 10 silver from all the combined boxes I have sorted. Before I moved, I got 1194 in a 3 year period. That being said, I did pick up a random box of dimes recently from a bank I have sorted thousands of dollars of coins from without ever really finding much and ended up with five silver. I have always been tempted to marks some myself, but do not want to spend the time. It always makes me smile to find coins that have clearly been dug up and tumbled in my rolls though.

KT had wondered about this for awhile, then He came across some boxes that had a few orange stickers on the halves....denoting a $1.00 value for a carwash in a town some 100 miles west of KT's location. So....His Majesty started His own Royal Experiment....took a black laundry marker (permanent type) and marked KT in big letters across the stickers.

Over the years KT has gotten back maybe 8 of the 40 or so of these stickers with His Royal Mark on them. And a few times, like last week, KT got another one unmarked, and it was marked KT and put back in circulation by dumping at The Royal Dump Bank! :lol::lol:

So, KT's assumption is that sure you sometimes get your searched coins returned, but nearly always they got new unsearched halves mixed in with them! Not a truly scientific experiment, but gives a general idea of what is happening. It so happens that the selling bank and the dump bank...both different banks, not just branches of the same bank....use Loomis as their coins supplier.

KT had wondered about this for awhile, then He came across some boxes that had a few orange stickers on the halves....denoting a $1.00 value for a carwash in a town some 100 miles west of KT's location. So....His Majesty started His own Royal Experiment....took a black laundry marker (permanent type) and marked KT in big letters across the stickers.

Over the years KT has gotten back maybe 8 of the 40 or so of these stickers with His Royal Mark on them. And a few times, like last week, KT got another one unmarked, and it was marked KT and put back in circulation by dumping at The Royal Dump Bank! :lol::lol:

So, KT's assumption is that sure you sometimes get your searched coins returned, but nearly always they got new unsearched halves mixed in with them! Not a truly scientific experiment, but gives a general idea of what is happening. It so happens that the selling bank and the dump bank...both different banks, not just branches of the same bank....use Loomis as their coins supplier.

Thanks your Royal Highness
I figured SOMEONE had tested this !!

I suppose when they get a BUNCH of dumps from many different banks it all goes in a pile and is dealt with as a whole.. sort of like throwing 100 pennies into a jar of 10000 the odds are when separated into 50 piece lots some of the 100 are bound to get in each.

My take on this.. you go to a bank and order your halves. The bank orders from Brinks, Loomis or where they have service. These companies pick up money from several different banks, CU's Dept. stores.. Then they count these coins and they would probably either go into bags or get rolled and boxed to full future orders. Say you had dumped 1000 halves those would get mixed with what ever came in from all other locations. So it would vary on which you may get back. I ordered some coins, 3 boxes, from a credit union last month. I tried to order some more last week. They said that they couldn't order anymore unless I want to pay the fee. They said it didn't cost to order but they were charged $2800 for them to be wrapped.. I was shocked.. If true, it seems that the coins get wrapped when they get ordered.. I haven't had any problems getting them from my bank.. but it is a much larger business than my local CU.
Sorry for the long post... just thinking out loud

My take on this.. you go to a bank and order your halves. The bank orders from Brinks, Loomis or where they have service. These companies pick up money from several different banks, CU's Dept. stores.. Then they count these coins and they would probably either go into bags or get rolled and boxed to full future orders. Say you had dumped 1000 halves those would get mixed with what ever came in from all other locations. So it would vary on which you may get back. I ordered some coins, 3 boxes, from a credit union last month. I tried to order some more last week. They said that they couldn't order anymore unless I want to pay the fee. They said it didn't cost to order but they were charged $2800 for them to be wrapped.. I was shocked.. If true, it seems that the coins get wrapped when they get ordered.. I haven't had any problems getting them from my bank.. but it is a much larger business than my local CU.
Wow, they are so full of it that it really is funny!

Interesting post...I would assume there is some cost to their service but the bank has to pay it anyway for the other coin they order so it would seem they could keep the cost for the boxes you order very low.

I am wondering how often coins get recycled into the population.

Say you get a box of 1/2's you go through them and then you take back what you don't keep.

a month later you get some more from the bank.. How many of those would be from the same "lot" that you brought back before?

would be interesting to mark a couple and see..

Your thoughts?

Yeah for starters you shouldn't be dumping at the same place you buy your coins. Double work for your tellers and increased likelihood of getting your dumps back. It would be interesting to know, though.

I marked several batches of 100 coins dumped at a bank served by Brinks. I get my coins from a bank served by Loomis. Since then I have seen about 5 of my coins again...perhaps 2 years and ?300? boxes later? So yeah, I'm rehunting some to be sure. What percentage? Beats me...

Happy Hunting.

Back
Top Bottom