500th Silver Coin w/ AT Pro! plus Big Ben, Stander, more Silvers!

LovestheShiny!

Forum Supporter
First of all, I want to thank God for the health to detect, and for the great finds I've been able to make in the last 2 1/2 years detecting.

In spring of 2017, I purchased a new AT Pro detector. The Max and the Equinox models had not come out yet. I'd watched a lot of the Hoover Boys videos and saw how well they did with the AT Pro, and thought that would be a good detector for me.

I have not posted my Year To Date totals for a while, as I was working toward this special goal, and I did hit that goal and a bit more today! Headed up to Missoula and after a no permission, I got the green light at a neat 1946 home, with an extra large yard. A super nice guy gave me the ok to detect anywhere on the property, so I had hopes that this would be the day!

The first coins were fairly deep copper Memorials, but the fourth coin was a Silver Merc Dime - #499 and hopefully one more to go! After some wheat pennies, I did get #500, a 1953 Silver Rosie! I was thrilled with this, and thankfully had a heck of a lot more yard to check. As I moved away from the sidewalk to the front door, I got a smooth 86-87 on the AT Pro. Thinking it would be a clad quarter, I was happy and surprised to see a Standing Liberty Quarter in the hole. After a few more modern coins and some more wheaties, I dug another Silver Merc, then on the other side of the sidewalk I got a smooth 91-92 on the Pro. After cutting the horseshoe plug, I looked in the hole and saw part of Big Ben Franklin looking up at me! This yard was turning out to be one of the best I've done this year! Near the edge of the lawn, I got a Silver Washington Quarter, and finished the Silver Train with another Silver Rosie. 7 silvers plus wheats and modern coins for the yard.

Oddities included the first Brass letter opener I've ever found, a fancy non precious ring, a neat ca 1962 "LOOK" Magazine 25th ANNIVERSARY coin, a mini Cookie Cutter, some odd jewelry, including a weird Denture Charm that looks like it hung from a chain.... really odd and kinda spooky for sure! I only did this one yard, and finished just in time as afternoon T-storms rolled in with cloud to ground lightning, winds and rain.

I know the AT Pro is not as "good" as many other detectors, but perhaps I just connect well with my machine. I kind of think of it as the Cessna 172 of detectors, not the best, fastest or deepest, but simple to use and does most things well. I want this post to encourage others as there are TONS of goodies still in the ground! Location is key, along with having a decent machine and the ability to use it. Thank you for your interest!

Attachments

• coin1.jpg
    coin1.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 297
  • coin2.jpg
    coin2.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 257
  • coin3.jpg
    coin3.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 273
  • coins4.jpg
    coins4.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 260
Congrats on the great hunt and finds! That's a really nice milestone you reached especially in just over a couple years.

Thanks Jam, appreciate your kind words! First year was 154 silver coins, 2nd year was 219 silvers, and this year 132 silver coins so far!

500 silver coins in just two years is ridiculous!!! Detecting is 99% location, congrats on the silvers! I used to find a ton of gold and silver but my area is dried up and I’m lucky to get 50 a year anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

500 silver coins in just two years is ridiculous!!! Detecting is 99% location, congrats on the silvers! I used to find a ton of gold and silver but my area is dried up and I’m lucky to get 50 a year anymore.

Thanks coin whisperer! Yes, about 2 1/2 years of the AT Pro has gone really well! I should have till mid to late November to detect here in Western Montana so hopefully more to come this year. I don't know if you do any door knocking for permission at ca 1950 and older homes, but they are pretty much the last vestige of not detected places we have here locally. All the parks, schools, fairgrounds etc have been hammered and I don't generally waste my time with them here.

Killer Day! Great variety too. The denture charm is uhh.....interesting.
500 silvers in 2 1/2 years is off the charts. Incredible!

Thank you MT! I put the better coins in 2 x 2 holders and have an album for each year. Pics that follow are an example of some of my 2019 finds in the album for this year...

Attachments

• coiner1.jpg
    coiner1.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 288
  • coiner2.jpg
    coiner2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 262
  • coiner3.jpg
    coiner3.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 256
  • coiner4.jpg
    coiner4.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 273
500 silvers? Thats REALLY killing it! Congrats!

One thing about the zoo is that its some of the oldest dirt in MT, and lots of small towns close by. Ever hit MSU?

Thanks coin whisperer! Yes, about 2 1/2 years of the AT Pro has gone really well! I should have till mid to late November to detect here in Western Montana so hopefully more to come this year. I don't know if you do any door knocking for permission at ca 1950 and older homes, but they are pretty much the last vestige of not detected places we have here locally. All the parks, schools, fairgrounds etc have been hammered and I don't generally waste my time with them here.

That’s all I do is door knock, there are no public spots here with silver

Wow congrats on hitting 500! Thats a huge milestone nowadays! I like others, have pounded my main spots pretty good, but we slowly find more, and new spots as well. Good luck out there and happy hunting!

Back
Top Bottom