• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

More Montana Relics - 1904 Teddy Roosevelt fob

MTJosh

Elite Member
Made it out yesterday for four miles hiking and exploring old areas. two separate sites of 3/4 mile hike in each. First newer than hooped and 60/70's trash. Old beavertails are fun in a park but not at sites you are hoping from 1900 or older. Did find harmonica reeds, old light bulb and parts of pocket watch. Second site definitely 1900 timeframe. Will be back to this site.

Best find of the day was 1904 Teddy Roosevelt election tag/fob. I thought it was luggage transfer tag till I researched it as only could read Fairbanks when dug. Great history. Tag was found after I dug the hatchet. It was blocking tag signal.

Pocket watch from Ansonia company pat date 1888 but this cheap no jewel model made after 1905, probably 20s. Light bulb pat date 1892 Schrader's Son Brooklyn. Was competitor to Edison and Westinghouse from quick limited research. Was hoping gold on bezel but only thick clad/plated gold after looking through loop. Porcelain doll arm was creepy coming out of the ground while digging watch parts. Found lid for tooth powder from 1904 too.

All the creeks below these sites were dredged for gold. Found small pile of dug iron metal at corner of second site building so others have detected it but with all the sagebrush, no one finds it all.

Attachments

• finds 7-25.jpg
    finds 7-25.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 199
  • old area.jpg
    old area.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 191
  • roosevelt tag.jpg
    roosevelt tag.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 194
Very nice Josh, great pics, I've seen some similar places here in Montana! Glad you did find some cool historic items.

Awesome save, TR is my hero. Him and George Westinghouse. Two guys who thought more about the average guy the their own personal wealth or advancement. True story. Like father like son T.R. Roosevelt Jr. was the oldest man and only general to go in with the troops on D-Day. Although not bloody Omaha beach still under fire on Juno he repeatedly went back down to shoreline, shook the hands of the boys coming ashore and said c'mon boys lets get in the fight. He was in his 50s and unfortunately died of a heart attack about a month later. He is buried next to his older brother in France that was killed in WW1.

George Westinghouse built his employees homes with plumbing, heat and yards. Gave the workers insurance and if disabled or killed the families would retain ownership and not be thrown out into the street. He believed safe working conditions were paramount to production and did his utmost in that regard. At that time most other robber barons did not. He was so beloved by his employees that they paid their own way from Pittsburgh to Schenectady to be pallbearer's at his funeral. Sorry for the rant. Good luck, Mark

Thanks everyone. These unique places are in the hills in the west. I do my best to find hike in areas as anything you can drive to are pounded. The hike and being outdoors already a great day. Finding cool relics a bonus. I saw deer and elk on Sunday’s adventure. Almost never coins around but I prefer fun relics at these sites. Also that Roosevelt fob has sold on eBay for $30-40. I won’t sell it but takes a lot of Rosies to equal that.
Most of the casings were WRA Co. Found some nice late 1800’s casings this summer so far. Plan to hit area I pulled multiple Henry last summer again.

I really liked your post Josh . It's always uplifting to see nice photos of cool finds and beautiful country that stir the imagination .Keep up that healthy outlook on life .
I also enjoyed Mark's informative comments .

Back
Top Bottom