Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Quality Metal Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > General Hobby Discussion

Reply
  
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:30 PM
k2gleaner k2gleaner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 358
Default What VDI number is your nemesis,?

It's 53 for me. (AT Pro)

It's more of a love/hate, come here/go away type of thing. I don't know why I keep digging it, to be honest. For a long time, I thought that was going to be my nickel number but I don't know when the last time I found a nickel was. (well, I do. I found my first buffalo nickel a week or two ago and it was not a 53).

I hear 53 when I'm in a farm field more than any other number. It's almost always aluminum, tin, or some other thin flexible metal.

This afternoon, I was scouting a field that has had some Civil War activity on it. It's almost adjacent to a field that certainly did. I heard that last year, some guys found a whole cache of bullets in the ground. Well, I was trying to dig any clean tone I had, high or low, but soon had to give up on those stupid 53s.

What's your nemesis number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

__________________
k2gleaner | Since 2/2019 | AT Pro
Prized finds: 1944 Walking Liberty Half-dollar, 1900,1912 Barber dimes, encrusted Large Cent & some flat buttons. :)

Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 01-15-2020, 06:55 PM
Detectingman Detectingman is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 166
Default

On my machine (Delta 4000) that would be an even 60! The old school beaver tails and pulltabs show up. But also have found 2 gold rings which rang up as 60 as well, so its a love/hate relationship. Also, I have dug a gold ring which showed up as a 53 so if its solid I do usually dig those as well. Trash will ring as gold and vice versa, just how it is!
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:10 PM
BentRod's Avatar
BentRod BentRod is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: West Coast
Posts: 5,671
Default

Originally Posted by k2gleaner View post
It's 53 for me. (AT Pro)

It's more of a love/hate, come here/go away type of thing. I don't know why I keep digging it, to be honest. For a long time, I thought that was going to be my nickel number but I don't know when the last time I found a nickel was. (well, I do. I found my first buffalo nickel a week or two ago and it was not a 53).

I hear 53 when I'm in a farm field more than any other number. It's almost always aluminum, tin, or some other thin flexible metal.

This afternoon, I was scouting a field that has had some Civil War activity on it. It's almost adjacent to a field that certainly did. I heard that last year, some guys found a whole cache of bullets in the ground. Well, I was trying to dig any clean tone I had, high or low, but soon had to give up on those stupid 53s.

What's your nemesis number?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Same for me on my ATPro. Gets my hopes up.....pull tab....foil...etc.....

__________________
AT Pro w/ 5x8, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer, Cent-Tech pinpointer

Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:42 PM
Lee1968 Lee1968 is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Worden, IL
Posts: 760
Default

For me it is 17 on the NOX. I am not sure when I have found anything good with it, but when I am in a farm field, I can't help but dig it. The best I can hope for is an old bullet or headstamp. Most of the time it is just little bits of trash metal.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:50 PM
CarsonChris CarsonChris is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,063
Default

17-21 on the Nox. An Indian is in there somewhere and Iím going to find it! First Iím going to dig a million square pull tabs, corroded zinc coins, or zinc coins.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 01-15-2020, 07:59 PM
Mud-puppy's Avatar
Mud-puppy Mud-puppy is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: West Michigan area
Posts: 12,540
Default

A big solid crisp '67' TID on the F70 is ALWAYS a Chucky Cheese or 'No Cash Value' carwash token every single time! I stopped looking at TIDS a long time ago, but still, even hunting straight audio, on the F70, running Delta Pitch tones, a guy hears one of those CC or NCV tokens..It just jumps right out at you! Its such a hard crisp hit, theres no way a guy can let that one go unstabbed!

The 67 is under silver/clad dime tones, and just above a 63 zinc, so its an oddball tone that stops a guy and gets the immediate 'dig me' notice....

So a fellow glances at the TID screen occasionally just for giggles.....67? I knew it! ..You even say to yourself before the extract..."That 67 tone is definitely a NCV or a CC token!" And sure enough, it always is..! Although, a guy says to himself,

Maybe someday there will be a $10 massive gold coin stack payoff or a monster gold ring on that tone and TID? Thats what a fellow tells himself anyway....? So I have come to Love/Hate that 'hard 67 CC and No cash Value tone and Tid'...

Thinking....I guess I dont mind pulling the 67's...nice big target, easy as pie to stab and pull... I pass them off to the kid running the till behind the counter at the StopNRob and have him convinced that Chucky Cheese tokens are actually 'Hillary Clinton Presidential' $1 coins! Dopey kid running the till! I fill my tank and buy a case of beer, walk in and keep a straight face as He rings up the purchase, and I slam a stack of dirty ChuckyCheese down on the counter!

The facial similarities between Hillary Clinton and Chucky Cheese are nearly identical! Kid behind the counter says, What the hell are these? Im like, "What the hell Butters? Those are Hillary Clinton Presidential $1 Dollar coins! I'm paying for my gas and beer! Dont you know nothing? Who did you think they were? Millard fussin Fillmore?"...Also, I'd like a carwash...heres a NCV token that says I get one!....

I cant wait for the Elizabeth Warren Presidential $5's to come out! Nobody knows who she is in the till running StopNrob circles...She needs to get some name recognition by getting elected for this to payoff for us....The Presidential $5 'EDubs' will be popping 67 Tids just like the Chuckys and Hillarys did! NCV! Free Beer!

__________________

Detecting is the study of Mankinds interaction with topography, the untrustworthiness of pockets, and metals desire to return to the Earth from whence it came.


Last edited by Mud-puppy; 01-15-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 01-15-2020, 08:40 PM
amc rulz's Avatar
amc rulz amc rulz is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: southern mich
Posts: 4,277
Default

Been dirtfishing for years and I still donít care about a VDI. They do seem important tho.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 01-15-2020, 09:39 PM
FreeBirdTim's Avatar
FreeBirdTim FreeBirdTim is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Scituate, RI
Posts: 634
Default

89 or 90 while detecting in the woods. Big silver? Nope, just another ox knob! So annoying!
Attached Images
 

__________________
Oldest coin: 1723 Rosa Americana
Oldest silver coin:1773 Half Real.
Oldest U.S. coin: 1798 Large Cent
Oldest U.S. silver coin:1853 Half Dime

Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 01-15-2020, 11:30 PM
k2gleaner k2gleaner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 358
Default

Originally Posted by amc rulz View post
Been dirtfishing for years and I still donít care about a VDI. They do seem important tho.

Ok, replace "vdi" with "tone", then. This evening, it was getting a little dark to read my screen as I swing and walked back to my truck but I could hear that tone. If I stopped to really look, it was a 53.





Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

__________________
k2gleaner | Since 2/2019 | AT Pro
Prized finds: 1944 Walking Liberty Half-dollar, 1900,1912 Barber dimes, encrusted Large Cent & some flat buttons. :)

Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 01-16-2020, 02:09 AM
351maverick's Avatar
351maverick 351maverick is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Erie, PA
Posts: 743
Default

NONE

Tesoro...crisp beep = DIG

__________________
Tesoro Cibola & Compadre - Garrett Pro Pointer - Treasure Wise digger - grain scoop as a sand scoop...CLAD goes in my kids' piggy banks....2020 SILVER = 1 2020...GOLD = 0

Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 01-16-2020, 07:46 AM
Lil Worm6's Avatar
Lil Worm6 Lil Worm6 is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Forest City NC
Posts: 1,234
Default

Mine would. E the solid 14 on the Nox 800. I dig them, but have yet to pull anything but pull tabs.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 01-16-2020, 08:31 AM
ToySoldier's Avatar
ToySoldier ToySoldier is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,727
Default

The sketchy deep high tone in the form of a wavering low 30s on the Nox or jumpy mid/high 80s on the AT Pro. I'm good enough to sniff them out, but not good enough to avoid digging 10+ rusty nails for every deep coin.

__________________
------
2020: 6 silver; 64 wheats; 1 1836 large cent; 1 Indian Head Cent; 5 buffalo nickels; 4 tokens; 3 foreign coins; 2 sterling; $25.97
2019: 45 Silver Coins; 271 Wheats; 15 Indian Head Cents; 18 Buffalo Nickels; 6 Liberty V Nickels; 4 Silver Rings; 1 Gold Ring; 2 silver other; 6 Tokens; $104.60
Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer


Last edited by ToySoldier; 01-17-2020 at 08:10 AM.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #13  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:56 AM
mike_i mike_i is offline
Full Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 178
Default

I dig anything that beeps but I'm assured that if 16 shows up it's a bottle cap on my NOX 600.

__________________
EX Fisher F4 User
Now use NOX 600

Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 01-16-2020, 11:55 PM
CarsonChris CarsonChris is online now
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Carson City, NV
Posts: 1,063
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
A big solid crisp '67' TID on the F70 is ALWAYS a Chucky Cheese or 'No Cash Value' carwash token every single time! I stopped looking at TIDS a long time ago, but still, even hunting straight audio, on the F70, running Delta Pitch tones, a guy hears one of those CC or NCV tokens..It just jumps right out at you! Its such a hard crisp hit, theres no way a guy can let that one go unstabbed!

The 67 is under silver/clad dime tones, and just above a 63 zinc, so its an oddball tone that stops a guy and gets the immediate 'dig me' notice....

So a fellow glances at the TID screen occasionally just for giggles.....67? I knew it! ..You even say to yourself before the extract..."That 67 tone is definitely a NCV or a CC token!" And sure enough, it always is..! Although, a guy says to himself,

Maybe someday there will be a $10 massive gold coin stack payoff or a monster gold ring on that tone and TID? Thats what a fellow tells himself anyway....? So I have come to Love/Hate that 'hard 67 CC and No cash Value tone and Tid'...

Thinking....I guess I dont mind pulling the 67's...nice big target, easy as pie to stab and pull... I pass them off to the kid running the till behind the counter at the StopNRob and have him convinced that Chucky Cheese tokens are actually 'Hillary Clinton Presidential' $1 coins! Dopey kid running the till! I fill my tank and buy a case of beer, walk in and keep a straight face as He rings up the purchase, and I slam a stack of dirty ChuckyCheese down on the counter!

The facial similarities between Hillary Clinton and Chucky Cheese are nearly identical! Kid behind the counter says, What the hell are these? Im like, "What the hell Butters? Those are Hillary Clinton Presidential $1 Dollar coins! I'm paying for my gas and beer! Dont you know nothing? Who did you think they were? Millard fussin Fillmore?"...Also, I'd like a carwash...heres a NCV token that says I get one!....

I cant wait for the Elizabeth Warren Presidential $5's to come out! Nobody knows who she is in the till running StopNrob circles...She needs to get some name recognition by getting elected for this to payoff for us....The Presidential $5 'EDubs' will be popping 67 Tids just like the Chuckys and Hillarys did! NCV! Free Beer!
I thought they already had the Liz Warren $5 come out. Maybe Iím confusing it with the Sacajawea? Iíve got to be 1/1024 correct anyway!
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #15  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:36 AM
cellrdwellr's Avatar
cellrdwellr cellrdwellr is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Dirt Cellar, MA
Posts: 14,327
Default

17-18 on the nokta simplex. Very good solid signal everytime, but always a ball of foil I would hazard a guess that some gold rings will hit these numbers though, so i just keep digging them.

__________________
☆2020 LET'S GO BRUINS!
☆W-354~IH-11~Coppas-5~Tokens-1☆
☆Silva-98~Ster-57~Gold-18
☆Oldest Coin FTY:17** KG2☆

Reply With Quote


  #16  
Old 01-17-2020, 08:57 AM
SoOregonMd's Avatar
SoOregonMd SoOregonMd is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Sam's Valley Southern Oregon
Posts: 2,341
Default

Originally Posted by Lil Worm6 View post
Mine would. E the solid 14 on the Nox 800. I dig them, but have yet to pull anything but pull tabs.
+1 .. I am "told" that Many gold rings come up under this ID but I have yet to find one.. 100% of the time for me has been a pull tab.

Originally Posted by mike_i View post
I dig anything that beeps but I'm assured that if 16 shows up it's a bottle cap on my NOX 600.
I have found many a junk ring hitting 16 so I change freq to 10 and if the ID jumps up it is a bottle cap.. if it stays relatively the same I dig it

__________________
The Most Exciting Part of the Hunt is when Prey and Predator make Eye Contact.
2018 Totals Gold (7), Silver Coins (17) Wheats (39) Rings (38)
2019 Totals Gold (1), Silver Coins (15) Wheats (94) Rings (26) Oldest Coin 1893 IHP, 1901 IHP

Reply With Quote


  #17  
Old 01-17-2020, 11:32 AM
Junkminer's Avatar
Junkminer Junkminer is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Cape girardeau, MO
Posts: 779
Default

VDI is helpful but I can tell far more by the sounds my ATPro makes. The more you get to know your machines language, the less the VDI's matter.

__________________
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garrett Pro Pointer AT

Reply With Quote


  #18  
Old 01-17-2020, 12:28 PM
gardinerdigger gardinerdigger is online now
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 42
Default

38 on the ace 400. Without fail it's either foil or a .22 casing.
Reply With Quote


1 members found this post helpful.
  #19  
Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 PM
k2gleaner k2gleaner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: NC
Posts: 358
Default

Originally Posted by Junkminer View post
VDI is helpful but I can tell far more by the sounds my ATPro makes. The more you get to know your machines language, the less the VDI's matter.

Like I said earlier, replace vdi with tone. I'm talking about a tone but I can't describe to you the tone so the vdi makes sense to use in this forum.

__________________
k2gleaner | Since 2/2019 | AT Pro
Prized finds: 1944 Walking Liberty Half-dollar, 1900,1912 Barber dimes, encrusted Large Cent & some flat buttons. :)

Reply With Quote


  #20  
Old 01-18-2020, 06:30 PM
maxxkatt's Avatar
maxxkatt maxxkatt is offline
Supporter
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: North Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,772
Default

Originally Posted by Mud-puppy View post
A big solid crisp '67' TID on the F70 is ALWAYS a Chucky Cheese or 'No Cash Value' carwash token every single time! I stopped looking at TIDS a long time ago, but still, even hunting straight audio, on the F70, running Delta Pitch tones, a guy hears one of those CC or NCV tokens..It just jumps right out at you! Its such a hard crisp hit, theres no way a guy can let that one go unstabbed!

The 67 is under silver/clad dime tones, and just above a 63 zinc, so its an oddball tone that stops a guy and gets the immediate 'dig me' notice....

So a fellow glances at the TID screen occasionally just for giggles.....67? I knew it! ..You even say to yourself before the extract..."That 67 tone is definitely a NCV or a CC token!" And sure enough, it always is..! Although, a guy says to himself,

Maybe someday there will be a $10 massive gold coin stack payoff or a monster gold ring on that tone and TID? Thats what a fellow tells himself anyway....? So I have come to Love/Hate that 'hard 67 CC and No cash Value tone and Tid'...

Thinking....I guess I dont mind pulling the 67's...nice big target, easy as pie to stab and pull... I pass them off to the kid running the till behind the counter at the StopNRob and have him convinced that Chucky Cheese tokens are actually 'Hillary Clinton Presidential' $1 coins! Dopey kid running the till! I fill my tank and buy a case of beer, walk in and keep a straight face as He rings up the purchase, and I slam a stack of dirty ChuckyCheese down on the counter!

The facial similarities between Hillary Clinton and Chucky Cheese are nearly identical! Kid behind the counter says, What the hell are these? Im like, "What the hell Butters? Those are Hillary Clinton Presidential $1 Dollar coins! I'm paying for my gas and beer! Dont you know nothing? Who did you think they were? Millard fussin Fillmore?"...Also, I'd like a carwash...heres a NCV token that says I get one!....

I cant wait for the Elizabeth Warren Presidential $5's to come out! Nobody knows who she is in the till running StopNrob circles...She needs to get some name recognition by getting elected for this to payoff for us....The Presidential $5 'EDubs' will be popping 67 Tids just like the Chuckys and Hillarys did! NCV! Free Beer!
The sad thing is some of these kids working at fast foods would believe that.

__________________
My New book Guide to Modern Metal Detecting Ė January 2020, 164 pages. PDF eBook version for PC, Mac and iPhone is free for FMD members, Printed version on Amazon is $29.00. Send private message for link to free PDF version.

Reply With Quote


Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.