Thoughts on Seasons...

z118

Forum Supporter
When I purchased my detector last October, I was lucky to be able to detect through January because of some mild weather. There was plenty of chilly temps and frost and some snow, but not enough to freeze the ground solid or keep me inside. I spent those months thinking about how nice it would be to detect in the summer. Now that the warm weather is here, I'm wishing it was November again. Besides all the crowds limiting my detecting options, it hasn't rained in a few weeks and the ground is starting to dry up. I am amazed at how solid the turf can become when it is dry. In some spots its dang near as hard as concrete. And I am also definitely noticing a difference in the depth of my finds now that the soil is no longer moist... I am not pulling as many deeper items. It's nice to detect on a warm spring day... but I'm missing the grey blustery November days with damp earth and everyone staying at home.

I know what you mean. I was out this afternoon and the ground is bone dry in spots here. I left my metal knife at home and only had a Garrett plastic digger that I've never used. The first attempt at a plug and it broke as the ground was as hard as cement. I had to drive back home to get my good digging knife. ugh!

What state are you in?

Z - Same here only more so. 6-8 inches of rain - never any in June & July - ground always hard as stone. Give me the cooler winter months anytime. Steve in so az

I used to be able to hunt for 6 hours in mid summer triple digit heat but now hunting for an hour in just 80 degree weather wears me out. I hate getting old. Thanks god I'm just about as productive in one hour now compared to 6 before. I love my DFX

I have the same problem. Summers in my area are very hot and dry. This past fall-winter-early spring, I've tried getting in as much hunting as I can. I hunt for the fun of it, and the chance of finding something valuable or old. When the heat ranges from 90 to 110, it stops being fun. Just like my other hobby, woodworking. When it gets that hot, I lay everything down and go into the house where it's a lot cooler.

Al

Here its either bone dry(forest fire season, and you don't want to be far from home at that time) or raining every day. I'll take what I can get. Heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as cold but beggars can't be choosers. : )

Heat doesn't bother me nearly as much as cold but beggars can't be choosers. : )

The heat gets to me more than the cold. I can always wear more layers in the cold and nobody is bothered, but in the heat I can only take so many layers off before someone calls the cops.

maybe you can hunt a nudist colony, hidin, but on second thought, they wouldnt have any coins on em to lose......................

It has rained here for a week, then we had 3 days of Kansas 200 degree sun and 200mph winds, and last night I could not get my knife to break the ground with my 200 pound body on top of it. A "triple double" kansas style.

Of course it rained 200 inchs last night, so I may get a few minutes to dig today while it is cool and the ground is moist.

(I have been known to bend the truth a little when I get frustraited)

I love 70 and overcast!

cb

I told myself I'd detect every chance I could when it got nice and warm. Well, I've only been out twice in the last three weeks. A lot of it has to do with the fact that I've been busy with other things, but one big reason is simply because I'd prefer to detect alone. And now everyone and thier mother is out in the parks. I can't detect without people rushing to me and bugging me (or being suspicious as to what I was doing). It's just an uncomfortable feeling I haven't been able to shake off completely. I remind myself that I'm a grown man in a playground digging for pocket change...and I understand why some criticize the hobbyists. It's an unusual hobby.

But, I could be doing worse things in a playground. So I hope people see me as a welcome to the parks and not as a pest. Once they do, I'm all good.

I went looking for a spot about 7:oo pm this evening, but everywhere I went was full of people, so I ended up going to the grocery store and then coming home and spilling a pop into my laptop keyboard- If I have to replace it, it will be my fourth one:mad: I'm used to people watching me, because most of my work is in the public right of way, and I've detected around people a few times, but so far noone has approached me:p On a side note, everybody that has seen my metal detector has said they have always wanted to get one.:D

Back
Top Bottom