A week of Civil War stuff (and a couple extras)

EmuDetector

Forum Supporter
Well, since my work has furloughed me like most others, I have spent most of my time hunting some areas new to me. My areas saw mostly picket fighting during the Civil War and have produced a ton of lead, but this time I managed to find some firsts for me. I managed a few musket primer caps, a Colonial button with thread still in the loop, a mouth harp which I tried to put through electrolysis but it was toasted, and my first bullet in wood (not civ though). I also think someone here had some holes in their pockets, because like never before I found some groups of dropped .69 cal minie balls, .58 cal minie balls, and .69 cal round balls. Then I scaled a steep hillside by cutting foot holds and it produced a lot of .52 cal sharps rounds and even a 1953 Alan Ladd Cap Gun produced for the movie "Shane". Sorry my image host kills my quality. Thanks for looking, I will definitely be getting back out once the rain lets up!

All the lead together:

My giving tree, in that it gave me 7 dropped .58 cal minie balls

Flat buttons, knives, mouth harp, primer caps, bullet in wood.

1953 Alan Ladd Cap Gun

Close up of he dropped lead

.52 cal Sharps rounds

Here's all of it

For anyone looking for display ideas, I recently purchased one of these acrylic tubes from Amazon since my mason jars were overflowing. I separate my minie balls between dropped, fired, mangled, etc. The tube has over 130 rounds in it in this photo.

I couldn’t sleep at night after finding all that. I wouldn’t be able to wait to get back in there. Congratulations on the great finds.

Hotspot! Nice digging, great finds and pictures! That is a lot of lead! Like the toy gun too. That tree picture is awesome. Congrats on the great finds and great display!

Thanks for the comments all!

I couldn’t sleep at night after finding all that. I wouldn’t be able to wait to get back in there. Congratulations on the great finds.

It is hard to walk away all the time. Even after making the post I went out in the rain and pulled in 10 more .69 cal minie balls :lol:

Great job!

Always loved digging a Jews Harp and I have never dug on that still retains the iron reed. Most of the ones I've dug were made of brass with and the iron reed was always rusted away.

Was your harp made completely of iron?

Excellent history saves,

Thanks again guys!

Great job!

Always loved digging a Jews Harp and I have never dug on that still retains the iron reed. Most of the ones I've dug were made of brass with and the iron reed was always rusted away.

Was your harp made completely of iron?

Excellent history saves,

Actually the whole reed was there when I found it, I was leaving my site with the detector on and caught the signal. But the electrolysis kinda exposed how corroded it was. It is a wrought iron piece though and my first one.

Back
Top Bottom