civil war bullets in trees

maxxkatt

Forum Supporter
has anyone been scanning old trees for civil war bullets? How high up would they be. Would an 3 ringer fired into a tree as stay 6 feet stay that same height?

Someone told me objects in a tree don't grow upward with the tree new growth.

When ever I see an old tree I check it real quick. Especially the downed and rotten ones are around. I couldn't speak to things growing up them.

My only luck at this, I once found a Confederate Gardner bullet in a fallen witness tree and chopped the hunk of wood out with my e-shovel and preserved it that way. I can post a pic when I get a chance if anyone cares to see it.

My only luck at this, I once found a Confederate Gardner bullet in a fallen witness tree and chopped the hunk of wood out with my e-shovel and preserved it that way. I can post a pic when I get a chance if anyone cares to see it.

Yes

For sure! One of my bucket list items is a bullet in a tree. I did find a 22lr round in some wood the other day, so its a start :lol:

Came across this in my reading...

Veterans of the Civil War often visited the battle sites in Atlanta. In the first week of Feb 1889 General Grenville Dodge met his former division commander, General John Fuller in Atlanta and rode out with a sightseeing group of veterans to a site of contested ground. According to a reporter with them...

"The woods remained untouched since the day the General (General lMcPherson) yielded his life in the lonely thicket. A tall pine tree stands near. Through its rough bark are several deep cuts, where relic-hunters have searched for bullets. Even the corners of the granite base (of the vertical cannon) have been chopped off as mementos of the dead hero.

So it seems relic hunting started not long after the end of the civil war. I have even read that civilian scavengers went among the dead after the battle robbing the bodies of items including guns and swords.

has anyone been scanning old trees for civil war bullets? How high up would they be. Would an 3 ringer fired into a tree as stay 6 feet stay that same height?

Someone told me objects in a tree don't grow upward with the tree new growth.

Not for CW bullets. But more often for WWII, and with results.
Also think about bomb shards. In your case CW canon ball parts.

Can't tell if they grow up from practise, as i don't hunt that high. :laughing:
As far as i know from grown in barbed wire and such i guess it remains mostly at is hight.

I found one in a fallen tree as a kid. Was super proud of it and had it on my dresser. My mom decided to surprise me one day and cleaned all the nasty wood from it. Had a nice shiny bullet when I came home from school.

Finally made it home to share. This bullet came from a tree that had to be about 200 years old, had rotted and fallen long before I came upon it. The tree was just lying split open and as I was scanning with the detector got that sweet bullet vdi.

Attachments

• Old Orange Plank Rd.jpg
    Old Orange Plank Rd.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 409
I found one in a fallen tree as a kid. Was super proud of it and had it on my dresser. My mom decided to surprise me one day and cleaned all the nasty wood from it. Had a nice shiny bullet when I came home from school.

Moms and wives should leave our stuff the heck alone.

Well that is a fantasy that never seems to come true.

Finally made it home to share. This bullet came from a tree that had to be about 200 years old, had rotted and fallen long before I came upon it. The tree was just lying split open and as I was scanning with the detector got that sweet bullet vdi.

wow, one sweet find. I am now hunting in a Civil War area where I have found some relics. Will have to check the trees and fallen trees and old rotted pieces of trees.

Back
Top Bottom