Can Someone Assist With Removing Control Knob On Jetco Mustang!

cowtownkid

Hey Folks,
I finally took an old Jetco Mustang off the wall from my garage to clean it up & even see if it works. It was given to me in 1991 & I have never really paid any attention to it. I Put new 9V in and the thing worked??? Somewhat, the tuner needs cleaning. I have it completely torn down except for the circuit board. I did get the nut that secures the board to the top of unit loose, however, I cant get this dang knob off & dont won't to damage anything.
No set screw is visible & it looks like the knob is just pressed on to a plastic spline. I cleaned & lubed the spline but nothing doing. I'm wonder if a set screw is beneath the decal/cover for this single knob.
Any help would be much appreciate.
Thanks,
cowtownkid

Most of my experience is in Audio electronics but haven't seen a nut thru top of knob before. You can try heating the insert with blow drier to remove it. when i remove push on knobs i either use 2 flat blade screwdrivers prying on opposite sides or i pry and rotate.

I'll sure give heating the insert a try...This thing dosen't budge at all...Everything else came loose quite easily and every thing was good and snug.
Thanks for reply
cowtownkid

Probably pressed on. Some old knobs are for D type shafts and have a metal insert in the knob. Probably rusted to the pot shaft. Jetco didn't use high quality parts such as knobs with a brass insert and set screw.
Best you can do is pry it off. Or leave it and spray the inside of the control pot with some Deoxit D5 https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

Attachments

• knb-z17_lg.jpg
    knb-z17_lg.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 307
Probably pressed on. Some old knobs are for D type shafts and have a metal insert in the knob. Probably rusted to the pot shaft. Jetco didn't use high quality parts such as knobs with a brass insert and set screw.
Best you can do is pry it off. Or leave it and spray the inside of the control pot with some Deoxit D5 https://caig.com/deoxit-d-series/

Probably some Automotive MAF Cleaner would help if you can't easily get the Deoxit Sven speaks of.. available at any auto parts store or even Walmart I believe.

I have several spray cans of PB Blaster...It has always worked on just about everything I needed to break loose...I try just a bit, let it sit awhile & see if it will come off.
Thanks to all

Cut a piece of dental floss about a foot long and holding it by the ends slide the middle under the knob. Pry up firmly From side to side while pulling up. Work around in a circle and it should pop off without damage.

Back
Top Bottom