property stakes

Locating stakes

Well, I bought 13 acres a couple of years ago for the cows and I. I had to locate the property stakes. It had been surveyed many years earlier. So, being an X-Infantry Drill Sergeant and combat veteran, I found my lensatic compass and the sketch of the property with dimensions listed on it that came with the purchase of the house. Perhaps the owners of the property that you are searching have those degree measurements? I took the measurements and tried to plot an aszimuth but was grossly off. I then realized that the measurements on the sketch were measurements used by surveyors and had to be converted to lensatic compass degrees. I already knew where one of the stakes was by talking to my neighbor. From there, I did the conversions and then I plotted the azimuths (I had 7 stakes for my property) and was able to locate the stakes without a MD, all but one that I still need to find. I know approximately where it should be, so now that I have a MD, I can use my MD to find the last one. To do the conversion, I found it online. Sorry, I don't remember how to do the conversion. I then took the 7 azimuths to a local survey company, walked in and told them what I was doing and asked them if they could check my math. They did. Took 3 minutes of their time and they would not take money for their effort. I got permission from the neighbors, who agreed that my boundarys looked good, and put up my electric fence. I hope this experience might help as one alternative way to find the stakes. Good luck. You might want to take an extra pair of eyes with you....

Back
Top Bottom