New to Forum - Need some advice

Runninmandan

Hi, all.

I’m on vacation in Ocean City, MD for the week. Today my 6-year-old daughter and I were digging a big hole in the sand and she found a 1919 wheat penny. She was super excited that she found “treasure”, and I thought it was really cool as well; I don’t think I’ve ever had a penny that old, and the fact that it was 100 years old was neat. I doubt it has major value but it was a special find.

At the end of our beach time we filled in our hole and grabbed our stuff. We realized that the penny was missing, presumably covered by the sand we just pushed into our hole. She was really upset. Now she seems to be over it, but I’m still thinking about it. I got a picture of the penny but it would be nice to have the thing to remember the day.

Since I don’t know anything about metal detecting could anyone give me some advice about whether finding it with the help of a metal detector would be a plausible idea? I know pretty well where it was, but I don’t know what detectors are capable of.

A metal detector would be able to find that penny and much much more. If you look on craigslist in the OC MD area you can probably find a Garrett Ace 250 or something similar for a fairly reasonable price. Good luck.

Welcome from Winnsboro, South Carolina !!!!

Neat "treasure" story ! :thumbsup:

Pretty much any detector should be able to find a penny that is not super deep, the question is what is your preferred budget limit on a detector, some detectors are meant for dry land only and there is a range in ability, there are some good budget level detectors and some very expensive ones and plenty of in between ones. Members can better offer suggestions if they know your budget limit and if you plan on hunting only where it's dry or need one that is waterproof.

:mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder: ______ :mder:

Thanks, guys. I’m definitely not looking to spend a lot. I actually have a half decent detector at home (3 hours away), and also a probably less-than-half decent one. I know they work but haven’t played around with them yet. So I suppose the objective is in the next couple of days to buy a cheap but capable one somewhere near where I am, or rent one, or borrow one, and use it for a short time to find this penny before we go home. I’m considering ordering from Amazon to the hotel and then selling one of the detectors later on. I don’t need 3. But if I can find a cheaper option I’d prefer it. Cheapest would be digging unassisted, but I don’t want to waste too much time.

The location has dry sand (until it rains, which it is doing now) so waterproof is not a requirement.

Thanks, guys. I’m definitely not looking to spend a lot. I actually have a half decent detector at home (3 hours away), and also a probably less-than-half decent one. I know they work but haven’t played around with them yet. So I suppose the objective is in the next couple of days to buy a cheap but capable one somewhere near where I am, or rent one, or borrow one, and use it for a short time to find this penny before we go home. I’m considering ordering from Amazon to the hotel and then selling one of the detectors later on. I don’t need 3. But if I can find a cheaper option I’d prefer it. Cheapest would be digging unassisted, but I don’t want to waste too much time.

The location has dry sand (until it rains, which it is doing now) so waterproof is not a requirement.

Not sure how close a "Hobby Lobby" might be to your location, but here is a (good for the price) budget detector for $79.99 (Bounty Hunter Tracker IV)

https://www.hobbylobby.com/Crafts-Hobbies/Kids-Crafts-Activities/Science-Educational/Tracker-IV-Metal-Detector/p/27250

https://www.hobbylobby.com/store-finder

The BH Tracker IV is a really good budget level detector, a great deal for the low price, I found a good video someone made to help those who are new to the Tracker IV -

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV Review Demonstration and How To Operate

Update:
I had a metal detector delivered and Friday morning I went out to find the penny. It was a nice morning to be out on the beach. Several times I got a beep. None of those times resulted in THE penny. As I covered the area methodically I suspect it probably was too low; otherwise it was swept up by a beach sweeper. What I did uncover: a new penny, a dime, a padlock (with no key), 2 beverage cans, 4 bottle caps, and a few small pieces of foil. I put the trash where it belonged, so at least I did a minor public service. The process was fun, though not lucrative. I did encounter another man with a metal detector and had a little conversation. I was glad to have gone out and given it a shot.
Thanks for everyone’s input.

Good for you! Will you be making a return visit? Wait till you snag a gold ring!

Sounds like you had a typical day at the beach. I always find lots of pull tabs bottle caps, beer cans (No alcohol allowed) and other bits and pieces of trash. Some times I find a few dollars in modern coins and once in a great while one of those lovely yellow orbs emerges from the sand and all the times when I spend hours on the beach for a few coins are forgotten.

Back
Top Bottom