south alabama

I live in Pensacola. I get over that way for work often. I’d be interested if you’re still looking. Let me know.

I live in Foley and would like to get together sometime. I am new to metal detecting and I am having trouble finding some areas to go.

I live in Foley and would like to get together sometime. I am new to metal detecting and I am having trouble finding some areas to go.

Do what I do...because if I was in Foley, I'd be all over this. Search for your city on Bing or Google maps. Skip the satellite images and just use the road version. Look for any green-shaded areas. Those are usually (but not always...golf courses are NOT public property, and state or federal lands are usually off limits) good to go for beeping, you are just subject to your level of comfort.

So, I did that for Foley and found some places I would jump on:

1) Foley Sports Tourism Complex. Soccer fields are my favorite. I've found more and better stuff on and around them than baseball and football fields.

2) City of Gulf Shores Sportsplex. Keep in mind when beeping baseball fields that most of the people are OFF the field...watching the games usually from chairs parked along the sideline fences. Beep those areas, for sure. I've not had much luck on the actual fields, except along the fences from about 10 yards past 1st and 3rd base. Towards and behind home plate from about that mark, beep the crud out the dirt.

3) Aaronville Park. Looks like the basketball courts don't have a fence around them. That's good. Because peeps lay their jewelry, coins, etc. on their shirts or backpacks while playing, forget about that, and just grab their stuff and lose coins and jewelry. Beep around those.

4) Foley Sports Complex. That's a new layout that I've never seen...5 baseball fields around a central area. I'd call that a rose petal arrangement. Go beep that!

5) Melvin Roberts Park. Ditto. See above.

Those 5 should keep you busy well into 2019, if not the entire year. I've been doing this since April of last year, hunting my local places just like that, and I've found 47 rings (8 gold, ~20 silver, 2 tungsten, the rest junkers), over 5700 coins, and a ton of interesting things, including lots of sterling silver necklaces, pendants, and charms.

Still haven't been to the beach. I'm kind of shy and don't like beeping around people, so parks and sports complexes suit me fine. I **should** have gone to the beach today...but I went to the Milton Riverwalk and found a sterling pendant, 60 coins, and a few other interesting things. It was gusting 30-35 mph and freezing, but I put on two fleeces and layered up and carried on. Get out there and find some loot!

Lamberts Cafe! Home of the throwed roll!!! We vacation in Ft. Morgan/Gulf Shores and always have it in our itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Private message me if ya can. We should trade info and get together sometime. Would be nice to hook up with someone regularly. I love hitting parks, schools, etc. Gonna learn beaches.

Thanks,
I just went to Aaronville park last weekend. I will check out your other suggestions. I appreciate it.
I don't like beeping around crowds either. there were very few people at Aaronville. I'll try one of the others this weekend
Thanks again

Do what I do...because if I was in Foley, I'd be all over this. Search for your city on Bing or Google maps. Skip the satellite images and just use the road version. Look for any green-shaded areas. Those are usually (but not always...golf courses are NOT public property, and state or federal lands are usually off limits) good to go for beeping, you are just subject to your level of comfort.

So, I did that for Foley and found some places I would jump on:

1) Foley Sports Tourism Complex. Soccer fields are my favorite. I've found more and better stuff on and around them than baseball and football fields.

2) City of Gulf Shores Sportsplex. Keep in mind when beeping baseball fields that most of the people are OFF the field...watching the games usually from chairs parked along the sideline fences. Beep those areas, for sure. I've not had much luck on the actual fields, except along the fences from about 10 yards past 1st and 3rd base. Towards and behind home plate from about that mark, beep the crud out the dirt.

3) Aaronville Park. Looks like the basketball courts don't have a fence around them. That's good. Because peeps lay their jewelry, coins, etc. on their shirts or backpacks while playing, forget about that, and just grab their stuff and lose coins and jewelry. Beep around those.

4) Foley Sports Complex. That's a new layout that I've never seen...5 baseball fields around a central area. I'd call that a rose petal arrangement. Go beep that!

5) Melvin Roberts Park. Ditto. See above.

Those 5 should keep you busy well into 2019, if not the entire year. I've been doing this since April of last year, hunting my local places just like that, and I've found 47 rings (8 gold, ~20 silver, 2 tungsten, the rest junkers), over 5700 coins, and a ton of interesting things, including lots of sterling silver necklaces, pendants, and charms.

Still haven't been to the beach. I'm kind of shy and don't like beeping around people, so parks and sports complexes suit me fine. I **should** have gone to the beach today...but I went to the Milton Riverwalk and found a sterling pendant, 60 coins, and a few other interesting things. It was gusting 30-35 mph and freezing, but I put on two fleeces and layered up and carried on. Get out there and find some loot!

Thanks,
I just went to Aaronville park last weekend. I will check out your other suggestions. I appreciate it.
I don't like beeping around crowds either. there were very few people at Aaronville. I'll try one of the others this weekend
Thanks again

I have to share this, crosstraining. I was off yesterday and went to a sports complex near me. I've been many times and have never found a ring--even a junk ring--or any other jewelry there. I have, however, dug up a couple of bushels of aluminum fencing wire. I added to that pile yesterday, for sure.

So I was beeping outside of the outfield fence of one of those peewee baseball fields and was killing it on coins. I got a jumpy 64-65 signal on the AT Max and popped the plug (I don't swing from different angles, I just dig any beep over 47, even if jumpy). I wish that I knew how to post photos. What popped out took my breath away.

Turned out to be a 14k solitaire diamond wedding band. Diamond tests genuine and I grabbed my digital calipers and measured it when I got home and ran it through several cycles of the sonic cleaner.

The ring is heavy for its size (barely fits on my pinky finger, but I'm 6'4" and not small). Using diamond carat weight calculators online, that single diamond is about 1.9 carats. Could be a bit larger or smaller. I was so happy that I had dug all of that chain link fencing wire!

I found a tutorial that may make this work. Here is that ring:
ring in dirt.jpg

And after I got back to my truck and brushed it off some:

ring on dash.jpg

Awesome ring! You paid your dues on that one.

Every ring or piece of jewelry has surprised me, canman...not once have I thought "That right there is a [ring/necklace/pendant]!" I just dig every signal above 47. I've been digging some lower numbers because of other folks telling me that there is good stuff in the lower foil range. So I'm testing that. No way I could dig **all** signals over 38 or 40...I'd never get anything done!:D

Hey I am actually about 20 minutes west of Mobile from I10 and then 15 minutes North on Hwy 63 in Wade.
I am new to this hobby so bare with me.Maybe we can get up to hunt. I fly rc planes in irvington and I use to race there as well.

I think I can meet up for 2-3 hours sometime this weekend. Where are we going?

Maybe halfway? I'll have to poke around on Google maps and look for a sports complex somewhere. I was off yesterday and poked around the soccer complex where I've found a ton of stuff, and it looks like soccer season may still be happening. Baseball is definitely over, though...

Back
Top Bottom