Home made coil covers?

Relichunter3

Elite Member
What do you all think of applying some spray on bedliner over a coil to protect it? Do you think this would work? I also thought of getting a spray can of that flex seal in the as seen on tv section and trying it as well...Thoughts?

SSG C

I don't know how much that spray weights but could make the coil heavier and more cumbersome to swing. That would be my only concern. I know when mine gets covered in mud/dirt I notice a significant difference in weight while swinging.

Coil cover's

You'll get a million different responses but personally I think it's better to just get the coil cover recommended for it, You should be able to get one for around $20.00 no matter what kind of coil you got. There's to many variables when you make alterations to the coil, The biggest being is does it VOID The warrenty. Sure the bed liner stuff is a COUPLE dollars cheaper but for the prices of coils these day's I will spend a couple more dollar's for the proper protection needed. Now with that being said you could always find some type of plastic sort of like a coffee can lid and poke a couple holes in it so you can attach it to the coil with zip ties to protect the bottom, That is if you have a spider type coil but PROTECT YOUR INVESTMENT and just buy one for it. It would suck to damage a $150.00 coil all because you tried to save $2.00 protecting it!! Some guy's will say " Oh, I've been detecting 30 yrs. and I never used one'' and most of them don't have that coil any more either but a lot of it has to do with swing style, Like do you run the coil on the ground are a couple inches off the ground. Hope that might help a little bit but I'll say it again BUY ONE!!!

Plasti Dip is available in spray cans for under $6 at Home Depot. If it creates a problem, you can peel it right off. I have it on my truck in several places on the paint and if it gets nicked up or anything just grab a corner and peel it off. Works great and might be a simple fix for what you are looking for. Do a search on youtube for plasti dip for examples of ways people use that stuff.

Coil cover.

I like the plast dip idea. I was also just thinking on covering mine in clear wrap until my cover gets here. I think just a few layers wouldn't make no difference in weight, or depth. Just bump the sensitivity a notch. I figured it would provide at least a small protection to get by with.

The idea of the spray was not to save money. It was started by beach hunters who didn't have time to keep cleaning the sand out of their coils. It was an alternative to sealing the coil with silicone. The bedliner offered protection and was not heavier than coil cover + silicone.

The spider coils are difficult to get off to clean. I use a small cut off wheel from my Dremel in my drill press. I set the table height and I cut all the interior lips down lower. I leave the outer edge the original height. The covers stay on and come off with just your hand for easy cleaning.

Lid from a large Tupperware container, traced the coil out-then cut it out using the dremel. Before mounting it to the coil with zip tys- shot it with black bed liner paint. Looks pretty good, and is fairly easy to remove at cleanup time.

Saw someone else do this little trick, so cant really claim it's of my own device.

I have used the spray on bed-liner on some of my cheaper machines, It is a tad heavy but it does offer good protection. For my newer machines I use coil covers and seal them off with silicon and I would just reapply it when it starts to look too worn I have not had to reapply yet.

I like the Tupperware idea. It would at least protect the bottom of your coil, Unless you have a 8 inch coil and find some 8 inch tupperware lids to fit snug to it. The lip of the lid would protect the sides as well.

Guess I should have been clearer in my description, the container lid I used was like the one you store items in a closet with-they sell em by the skads at Wally World cheap. You can make 2 covers for 5.99.

picture.php

Trace out your coil, cut it out and I use small zip tys to secure it to the coil. The bedliner paint works really well for a nice black durable coating.

I'll try to post up some pics of mine.

looks good. I will be doing this same thing to mine tomorrow, I will post up pics of how it turns out, Just wish me luck because I aint too crafty unless its with a bulldozer or road grader!.

looks good. I will be doing this same thing to mine tomorrow, I will post up pics of how it turns out, Just wish me luck because I aint too crafty unless its with a bulldozer or road grader!.

You'll do fine, yah show us the results.

Back
Top Bottom