• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Killed too many carrots -easy solution

REAL_RAT_FINK

Forum Supporter
This is a simple fix, but may just help a few of you out there. I now have 3 garret carrots, the first two were eaten alive by scraping sand and rocks and dirt. The tips started to look like a spear. I am self admittedly very hard on my pin pointers, and that isn't going to change. I want to find that target as fast as possible.

I purchased a 3rd carrot and covered the tip in duct tape and wrapped the main shaft to hold that layer. I did this layering 4 times. I believed it would a short term solution, but after 4 months of serious digging it I haven't had to replace the tape! It's actually doing a great job protecting the plastic and I don't feel like I have lost any sensitivity (except maybe on the smallest specks of metal).

The electrical tape is to quiet the pinpointer down. When it's early in the morning and near houses I don't need an alarm going off. It also prevents dirt from getting in the speaker.

Attachments

• 20190521_202905.jpg
    20190521_202905.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 1,718
While not a carrot, I sprayed the tip of my Propointer with truck bed liner. It has held up for several years without signs of wear. I don't use it to dig with though. I put tape on it to make it easier to find if I forget to pick it up. I think I covered the speaker but I have trouble hearing anyway so I just go by vibration.
ProPointer.jpg

I never wore through any pinpointer until I got the Carrot, the plastic just seems softer than other pinpointers, including the Garrot PPII.

Plasti Dip has worked expreemly well for me. It's been six months with no sign of wear. You can see pics and instructions below.

http://detectinglife.com/blog/garrett-carrott

I bought some PlastiDip to do this, too, but haven't done it, yet. I guess I'm worried that the rubbery tip will pick up and hold onto dirt and small rocks. I need to get over it, don't I? :laughing:

I bought some PlastiDip to do this, too, but haven't done it, yet. I guess I'm worried that the rubbery tip will pick up and hold onto dirt and small rocks. I need to get over it, don't I? :laughing:

I dipped mine when I got it a year or two?? Ago, did like 3-4 coats and man, it’s been awesome.

I dipped mine when I got it a year or two?? Ago, did like 3-4 coats and man, it’s been awesome.

This is really encouraging news, I bought the stuff in the can and sprayed 4 light coats, and one heavy final coat. Looks great, and from the sounds of it, should last awhile! You can see a small divot where the hole started to appear. I didnt go any heavier for fear of it dripping and looking less than perfect. Thanks for the tips everyone!

Attachments

• 0610190756_Film4.jpg
    0610190756_Film4.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 1,170
  • 0610190756a_Film4.jpg
    0610190756a_Film4.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 1,159
  • 0610190756b_Film4.jpg
    0610190756b_Film4.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 1,197
As a side note, I tried duct tape in the past, seemed to be okay, but hard to make it look nice and get it flat around the tip. Also, after awhile the dirt got under in and it started to unwrap. Whatever works though, looking forward to putting the plasti dip to the test though.

Locktite 8X stronger

I wore through two pinpointers and the second one I used Locktite 8X stronger found in the caulking shelf, at Lowes Home Improvement Center, not sold on the glue shelf and it works great. No mixing, and it dries in 24 hours and will outlast any pinpointer.
HH everyone

So why do people dig with their pinpointers? It never occurred to me to use mine for digging and have always used a trowel or my fingers???

So why do people dig with their pinpointers? It never occurred to me to use mine for digging and have always used a trowel or my fingers???

its from dragging it around in the hole or on the dirt you just detected.

One thing I like to do is wrap the joint between the cap and carrot body to keep grime out of the threads area to preserve a good seal when changing batteries. I had to replace my first carrot when it quit because of a leak. I may have to put a tape cover on the carrot speaker and the button. I will be getting some plastidip or the suggested Locktite 8X.

When I bought a black Garrett pinpointer a few years ago, right out of the box, I applied a heavy coating of a 2-part epoxy. Probably the dual-syringe Gorilla brand, with epoxy in one side and hardener in the second syringe. This has held up well for me, but I don’t use it as a digger as some do

Last edited:
While not a carrot, I sprayed the tip of my Propointer with truck bed liner. It has held up for several years without signs of wear. I don't use it to dig with though. I put tape on it to make it easier to find if I forget to pick it up. I think I covered the speaker but I have trouble hearing anyway so I just go by vibration.
View attachment 443030

I believe the truck bed liner is a lot stronger than plastic dip and won't wear off as easy.

Back
Top Bottom