My first Cob coin

Tom_in_CA

Elite Member
I realize that cobs are a "dime a dozen" on the east coast. Yet extremely rare on the west coast . After 40+ years of this (started in 1976-ish), I finally got my first cob.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last countries to ever make cob style coins (versus "milled" style coins), were phasing them out in the 1740s to 1750s ? Another source I'm looking at says perhaps a final country or two had made that style up to perhaps the 1760s or even 1770s ?

But suffice it to say, very rare for CA. Which didn't even have a permanent European toe-hold till 1769 at the earliest. (Hence, not counting explorer stops.) And realistically speaking, the entire alta CA population of Europeans (non Indians) was still perhaps less than 1000 persons, prior to 1800-ish.

So while we do find reales here (rancho sites, travel stop sites, gold rush sites, etc...) those would tend to be those minted/circulated into the 1830s to 1850s, for example. So as you can see, it would be a needle in a hay-stack, date-wise, to get a cob minted, circulated, and brought to CA, at any sort of site you can think to be md'ing at.

A friend of mine found one on a beach, after severe storm erosion, near Carmel Mission in CA . That location dates to 1771 at the earliest. We have every reason to believe that was a period loss. But outside of that one, I know of only a few rumors of other cobs found in CA . Not counting jewelry (bezel mounted, or whatever).

I found this cob a few days ago. At a site that is under 1/2 mile of a location that had mid 1770s coming & goings. A little community associated with one of the nearby missions. However, that was not the reason we were hunting the site. The exact location is now nothing but urban sprawl. And we were there doing some "old town demolition hunting". Not expecting any coins this old.

Other coins that are surfacing for my buddies and I, have been 1839, at the earliest. Those include an 1839 seated dime, an 1849 Mexican reale, a large cent (1840s), etc..... And some other later seateds, scores of barber dimes, 100's of wheaties, V's, mercs, etc..... So the cob was a real fluke !

While I know it is real, yet I'm almost tempted to say it's a more contemporary curiosity pocket piece loss. The zone I found at it, was riddled with 1940s/50s wheaties, and some barbers at the oldest. However, I can not rule out a "period-loss". Since, as I say, we are under 1/2 mile from a point where settlers were known to be stopping at, as early as mid 1770s. *Technically* there is nothing to have stopped a cob from being in circulation as late as the 1770s, and getting up to alta Ca.

But very much a fluke. I have found over 100 reales here in CA. And a buddy of mine = north of 200 reales. And we've each been in locations dating to the 1770s influence. Yet .... never a cob between us. Some of our milled reales, mind you, have dated to the 1740 and 1750s. Meaning 30+ yrs. circulation before arriving here. It just stood to reason, because by the 1770s, cobs would have been pretty much petering out of circulation, eh ?

Attachments

• 20190711_133635.jpg
    20190711_133635.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,924
  • 20190711_133642.jpg
    20190711_133642.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 1,871
Amazing find Tom! Congrats on the cob.

Thanx ! Does this now qualify me as "stud-muffin" ? Or shall I just accept "oh mighty one" as the way to be addressed by fellow md'rs now ? :?:

Thought you had all your "Bucket Listers" by now Tom!! Big Congratz!!

All I can say is wow and congrats. Thats an amazing find, Tom.

Thanx guys. Great to hear from some fellow CA guys to share the find with. (Who needs those pesky east coast LC's, busts, and colonial coppers anyhow, eh ? :laughing:)

Congratulations Tom, with over 40 years hunting you deserve it sir, beautiful you paid the price and earned it.

Hopefully it's not similar insight for my self. Most of Wisconsin wasn't inhabited with non natives until early 1800, and then it was few and far between. But the odds might be Similar for my neck of the woods.

Again congratulations on a spectacular find!

Congrats!

thanx metal-addict

Congratulations Tom, with over 40 years hunting you deserve it sir, beautiful you paid the price and earned it.

Hopefully it's not similar insight for my self. Most of Wisconsin wasn't inhabited with non natives until early 1800, and then it was few and far between. But the odds might be Similar for my neck of the woods.

Again congratulations on a spectacular find!

Aaahh, so someone east of the Mississippi to share in the "misery" we face, at not be riddled with 1600s and 1700s history ? :laughing:

Awesome find Tom..

So does this mean Cob's will now forever Bore you.. or must you find another one somewhere.. before that happens :lol:

Yes. Cobs bore me now. :D

WOW! that is one amazing find Tom. Congratulations to ya amigo!

thanx everyone for sharing in a moment of gloating :cool:

thanx metal-addict

Aaahh, so someone east of the Mississippi to share in the "misery" we face, at not be riddled with 1600s and 1700s history ? :laughing:

I think I'm only east of the Mississippi by a technicality LOL I'm only about 45 min east. But ironically last weekend hunted an old landing and historic area on the Mississippi, bussed the cob, but got an Injun, lol not quite the same.

What?? No gold coins?? .......... We're bored! :laughing:
All kidding aside, Very nice find!!

Congrats on the cob coin Tom, now the real question...Who mailed it out to you???:sissyfight::thumbsup:

OOOooohhh, I guess I've had that coming to me for a long long time, eh ? East coast revenge is sweet, eh ? :laughing:

.... not quite the same.
... Fantastic!!! congrats!!! ....
Nice job Tom! That definitely would make an exciting hunt.
Amazing find to add to your collection of amazing finds :)
Dime a dozen😳

Thanx everyone for looking . And enjoying a fun find with me.

:dingding: That's an AMAZING find Tom! :wow: It's too good to ask for so I am not. ;) What are your plans for that? Mount it in a nice thick Cuban/Figaro link silver chain and wear it?

Back
Top Bottom