• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Minelab Explorer II Differentiating Between Targets of Similar Conductivity.

ToddB64

Elite Member
Hi All ! :tiphat:

I was re-reading my November, 2003 issue of Lost Treasure magazine and starting on page 25 Andy Sabisch authors a Field Test report on the Minelab Explorer II. Statements he made on page 26 in the upper part of the far-left column caught my eye !

Andy stated (paraphrasing) by combining the conductivity of a target with it's inductance or ferrous value, the ability to differentiate (synonymous with discriminate.) similar targets such as a gold ring and a pull tab can be achieved.

He also stated the following in that same upper part of the far-left column, which he obviously thought was true at that time, however, with technological advancements in the last ~16 years and foreign competition, might not be true today, (again, the following is paraphrased.) This two-dimensional SmartFind discrimination is only found on the MineLab Explorer series.

Now, with the above being said, my question to previous and current users of the MineLab Explorer Series metal detectors is "In your actual field experience with a MineLab Series detector have you been able to find gold targets while simultaneously discriminating pull tabs and I'll add the more modern stay tabs ?"

Thanks,
ToddB64

When a person(any person) has a close affiliation with a company...and makes extraordinary claims...it must be verified through non-partisan testing. In regards to your question...no.

When a person(any person) has a close affiliation with a company...and makes extraordinary claims...it must be verified through non-partisan testing. In regards to your question...no.

Thanks IDXMonster :tiphat: Yeah, I was thinking that claim sounded too good to be true, but was still hoping we were rid of the "bane of metal detectorists" below !

Maybe someone else has had a more positive experience. :shrug:

ToddB64

Attachments

• Pull-Tab.jpg
    Pull-Tab.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 157
Todd...yeah, pull tabs and pop tops are just miserable. What he said is true...kinda. If you air tested a CERTAIN gold ring against a CERTAIN pull tab, then yes, there would be a slightly different indication shown. But in the real world, there are SO many variances of jewelry AND pop tops that it’s all but impossible to tell with any amount of reliability which is which. The characteristics of the audio signal itself sometimes can help to identify a ring, I’ve found a couple with my IDXPro that gave a very short and solid signal...I would call it a “stout” response. But that’s about the only way to even start getting a handle on the dilemma.
With that being said...if you’re thinking about a used Explorer 2, I’d tell you to buy it without a second thought, they are GREAT machines on just about every level. Others have had good success with the other model Explorers as well, I suppose it’s just personal preference and what a person feels most comfortable with. They do take some time to learn properly, so be prepared for that. But once you get a handle on it, it’ll be hard to quit smiling. I’ll keep and use mine till I can’t detect anymore, which will be a VERY long time.

Thanks IDX !

No, I wasn't thinking of buying an Explorer II, not on my pitiful SS income. I was just curious to know if actual field results by members agreed with Andy's statements.

During my earlier years of employment, I was able to afford to buy (3) modestly priced metal detectors, a new Garrett Ace250, new Tesoro Compadre and a used Bandido II µMax. Two other detectors were gifted to me later on by my brother-in-law, a like-new Whites Classic II and a brand new Teknetics Gamma 6000. With those (5) I have more than enough to swing.

With Parkinson's I'm not allowed to drive anymore and have to rely on the Mrs. to drive me to the parks and wait until I finish my 2 hour limit and drag my weary body back to the car. Wish I could hunt for 4-6 hours like I could 14 years ago when I was in my early 60's. Old age with health issues sure stinks !

HH !...….ToddB64 ;)

Last edited:
If a VLF detector could distinguish gold from pull tabs.
It would be the primary detector owned and talked,d about on this forum and many others.
And no such animal currently exists.

Some folks come along occasionally and say they can tell the difference with X model detector.
These same folks think elephants are purple or something.

If a VLF detector could distinguish gold from pull tabs.
It would be the primary detector owned and talked,d about on this forum and many others.
And no such animal currently exists.

Some folks come along occasionally and say they can tell the difference with X model detector.
These same folks think elephants are purple or something.

Elephants are purple with the At pro!:lol:

Back
Top Bottom