Coin Probe

alanv73

I know many people dislike using a coin probe. I intend to do some hunting in PA State Parks, where they don't allow digging with anything other than a screwdriver-type tool, so I made a coin probe. I used a piece of 3/16" brass rod for the shaft, a section of copper water pipe for the ferrule, and the handle is turned from Argentinian Lignum Vitae. Shaft is a little under 7", and total length is about 11-1/2".

Nice work! Great wood choice for the handle, that stuff is tough and dense!!

<*)))>{

Probes were all we had when I started detecting. Pro Pointers hadn't been invented yet.
That goes for me too Silversmith. I didn't even know about coin probes. I made one from a piece of welding rod and a piece of wooden curtain rod for a handle. That's probably why I stopped detecting for 30 something years.

Here's a picture of the probe I use. Lost my original one and decided to make me 3 of them. Don't know why 3 as I only use 1 at a time

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,674
That goes for me too Silversmith. I didn't even know about coin probes. I made one from a piece of welding rod and a piece of wooden curtain rod for a handle. That's probably why I stopped detecting for 30 something years.
X3 for me. I had to make mine as well, and believe it or not I still have it. That brass probe has found a lot of coins for me.;)

I have one I made 20+ years ago. I used it a fair amount and actuall used it on one of my last hunt where I didn't want to dig so I could keep the area pristine as I want to be able to hunt it again.

I know many people dislike using a coin probe. I intend to do some hunting in PA State Parks, where they don't allow digging with anything other than a screwdriver-type tool, so I made a coin probe. I used a piece of 3/16" brass rod for the shaft, a section of copper water pipe for the ferrule, and the handle is turned from Argentinian Lignum Vitae. Shaft is a little under 7", and total length is about 11-1/2".

Here's a picture of the probe I use. Lost my original one and decided to make me 3 of them. Don't know why 3 as I only use 1 at a time

These are lovely. Hats off to you both for such fine work. I plan to try out the art of the probe at some point. I have not yet attempted the knife/screwdriver or probe methods of coin location/extraction as of yet. Seems like a lost art to some of us noobs, but a refined method indeed!

I have had one I made on my belt for years. I made a simple leather sheath for it too. While I don't use it as much as I used to, it still comes in handy at times.
Probe2.jpg

Nice work.. professional looking.. I am amazed you guys that are able to locate coins that way..but how do you do it without damaging the coin? It's certainly a developed skill.. I don't think I have the patience to learn how

I am VERY new to this hobby, but I'm confused about the original post. He said he hunts in State Parks where they don't allow you to dig....???? then how do you get the coin out if you can't dig.

I know this is an older thread, but WOW! That is some nice work. I'd be afraid to dig with something so beautiful. I use a worn out thrift shop screwdriver for my soil poking!

Back
Top Bottom