Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Advice on Detector Purchase

Old 06-08-2019, 08:52 AM

Default What to look for in new detector purchase.

Started detecting 40+ years ago with a garage sale detector and need to find my arrows that snaked under grass. Still occasionally have need to find wild shot before tractor tire does.Bought my nephew a $100 BH couple years ago but he lost interest after short wile not finding gold bullion behind every tree. He lets me barrow it but would like to get me a good one. Thought I found something really valuable the other day till I flipped it over. Ended up being something I lost as a kid.
Reading on detectors is overwhelming but have no problem looking for used equipment. Im in Midwest soils Missouri and like detecting old farm steads so I need good discrimination. Im tired of digging up nails and aluminum beer tabs.Thanks
Attached Images

Old 06-08-2019, 09:01 AM
Elite Member

A box 600 or 800 would be good I love mine

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2019, 11:52 AM

One with an auto-digger.
I'm still looking.

Old 06-08-2019, 11:56 AM

I have found a similar Shell gas presidents game token. As far as detectors go the Equinox 800 would be my first choice as the best all around detector for the money.

A Nokta Impact multi or the newer Anfibio multi would be my second choice in the mid-level price range. The Impact is not waterproof the Anfibio is.

The Used market can get you a really nice detector for a significant discount if you want to go that route. Lots of options.

Years detecting: (2) Equinox 800, Etrac, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Mojave, Garrett Carrot, Grey Ghost headphones. Oldest coin: 1851 Seated Dime, Total silver coins found: 57, Total rings:(Silver) 1 (Gold) 0 (Junk) 4, 2019 silver coins: 23

Old 06-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Elite Member

Iíll take a crack at this.If what I say donít apply then let it fly,Iím not grouping everyone in this hobbie.
First,you need to decide if your a hobbiest or a professional in this..This is a big issue I see on these forums..Machines $800 and up in my opinion are professional machines and not needed for finding nickels and dimes.Used Xterra 705,at pro,racer2 etc will find nickels,dime,jewlery and silver,and pretty much anything else you want.
The equinox 800,Deus,Etrac ,3030 ,v3i,are priced in the professional range and in my opinion pricey for amateur detectorists or weekend warriors to go out and find a few silver coins and clad..Overkill and more of a status symbol for alot of the people who own them.
If you live close to a beach and weíre going for gold which seems to be plentiful from what I see beach hunters posting then Iíd agree with getting a top notch machine.
For dirt hunting in parks and yards,the used midrange machines like the at pro,racer,Xterra,f5 ,etc will do more that a adequate job..They get the goods.
Lots of guys spending lots of loot to have professional machines and either are not professionals in this hobbie or theyíre not making professional finds.Either or,,its a waste of money.
Buy what you want ,this is just my uneducated guess from owning about every mid to high end machine made,Ive made no professional finds with any machine and Iím just the hobbiest weekend warrior.Ive found just as much with the at pro,xterra 705,race 2 than I have with a equinox,Deus or Etrac...

Last edited by woodbutcher; 06-24-2019 at 04:54 PM.

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-08-2019, 02:33 PM
Elite Member

What to look for in new detector purchase? My thought would be the brand name of Minelab. They have a wide spread variety of machines that will fit most. The Equinox would be my suggestion.

Old 06-08-2019, 08:55 PM

What he said. Plus Minelab has a new machine coming out.

Old 06-09-2019, 11:00 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BC Buck View post
Started detecting 40+ years ago with a garage sale detector and need to find my arrows that snaked under grass. Still occasionally have need to find wild shot before tractor tire does.Bought my nephew a $100 BH couple years ago but he lost interest after short wile not finding gold bullion behind every tree. He lets me barrow it but would like to get me a good one. Thought I found something really valuable the other day till I flipped it over. Ended up being something I lost as a kid.
Reading on detectors is overwhelming but have no problem looking for used equipment. Im in Midwest soils Missouri and like detecting old farm steads so I need good discrimination. Im tired of digging up nails and aluminum beer tabs.Thanks
I donít know how the term professional got into the equation here.
Anyways,
You say you need good discrimination.
Maybe so.
This could infact be associated with a detector that can alert on nonferrous anything really that is near(er) iron object or even under the plane in soil where the iron exist.
So some good choices.

Xp Deus- bit pricier outfit.

Makro Multi Kruzer- Waterproof and good do all around except ( salt water not strongest suit and higher(est) mineralized soils.

Minelab Eqx 600 or 800 model- one is cheaper than the other. Good all around detectors.

Nokta Anfibio Multi- Waterproof and good al around- except higher(est) mineralized soils and salt water.

For silver and copper coins.
Etrac very worthy choice.
Deep unit provides good clues loads of times that silver or copper coin exists even at deeper depths like 8-10Ē in mild to medium mineralized soils.

Ergonomics can play into your equation.
Good ergo units imo.
Makro multi Kruzer
Deus
Equinox 600 or 800
Fisher F75 + model.

Etrac best choice for deep silver and copper and learning curve not bad. Machine is heavier than the units above. Oem battery is lacking but aftermarket better ones are available.

There are cheaper models available.
They can find good things too. But they will not generally be able to do certain things as well as the units I listed above.
This could be depth, or ability to function in and around iron or both and or quality of audio provided.
Emi handling capabilities on average could be lacking too.

Good luck with your decision.

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by BC Buck View post

So you DID find something valuable

Old 06-16-2019, 12:15 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
Statement of the day, maybe month, maybe year here!

EQX800, Dos Compadres : 2019 (Total (4/4/13 to date)) - Clad: $94.03 ($929.24), Silver coins: 15 (21), Wheats: 43 (90), Gold: 1 (25), Plat: 1 (1), .925 12 (71), Rings: 14 (202), Oldest Coins: 1921 Ten Centavos Filipinas; Chinese cash coin

Old 06-16-2019, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by pryan67 View post
My best find so far was that shell token but still had fun.

Old 06-23-2019, 02:33 AM
Elite Member

I think the Equinox 600 would be perfect. Good luck!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Elite Member

I like my White's MX5. For some reason they are in disfavor but that just makes them cheap on the used market.

Old 07-02-2019, 04:22 PM
Elite Member

I am still waiting for them to introduce a detector that will not detect pull tabs, can slaw aluminum cans. ETC.

Old 07-02-2019, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
I am still waiting for them to introduce a detector that will not detect pull tabs, can slaw aluminum cans. ETC.
They would be able to demand a million dollars for that unit.

Old 07-03-2019, 08:03 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by georgeinsc View post
If someone could invent one of those, then they'd never have to work another day in their life. Although I must admit, I find it more exciting to dig a target when I don't know exactly what it is...the element of surprise is a good thing.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Minlooker View post
What he said. Plus Minelab has a new machine coming out.
When and what is the new machine coming out?

Old 07-16-2019, 07:39 PM
Elite Member

I found some neat stuff with my 350 and my At Pro.

Recently bought an equinox 600, just started learning it.

At Pro might be a good one to try.

Old 07-17-2019, 03:05 PM
Elite Member

Xp Deus just lowered their prices. You may want to check it out. Good luck!