• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Axe head experts!

bulldog69

Hello:

I found this axe head in an area with late 1800's and early 1900's. I usually can find a name or find a design online....I do not know what to call the two separate folded pieces of metal in the rear of the axe. Please let me know.
As always, thanks for your comments.

Attachments

• axe head c.jpg
    axe head c.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 320
  • axe head a.jpg
    axe head a.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 313
  • axe head b.jpg
    axe head b.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 301
That's an odd one. I'm guessing the butt end of it broke off, and someone just folded in the 2 sidewalls onto a handle so they could keep on a-choppin'.

I've seen that type before. The hole is the eye, the part you're talking about is the butt. I think it was the way hand forged axe heads were made. Quite early I think. I'd google, folded eye, hand forged axe head. Think about it, how hard would it be for a local blacksmith to put an axe eye in a solid block of steel. I think they just folded and forge welded the blade. Then they'd pound around the ends to form the butt and forge weld that, leaving them the eye.
Not that all butts with eyes were hand forged. My butt has an eye but I was born with it. ;)

That's an odd one. I'm guessing the butt end of it broke off, and someone just folded in the 2 sidewalls onto a handle so they could keep on a-choppin'.
Modified theory: It seems more like it was originally a double bit axe, and one end broke off, not the butt(or poll) of a single bit. Then "someone just folded in the 2 sidewalls onto a handle so they could keep on a-choppin'."

Basque Axe is the type. It is a Spanish design.
Thanks for posting this. I love learning new stuff. This axe head surely resembles the basque type heads, but the way it is roughly folded together in the back suggests that it was modified/repaired, not originally designed like that.

Back
Top Bottom