Xterra Coils. Minelab, Coiltek or what?

tinsmith

Elite Member
Any one remember hearing about counterfeit Xterra coils? How would we know if it's the real thing?
I wonder because a couple years ago I got my 10.5" DD mid frequency online for about 165.00 I never seem to be getting the performance I expected from this coil. Depth, stability, just not as I expected.

Are you considering another coil or trying to find out if yours is a fake coil?

If your looking for another coil that may be a little easier on the wallet check these coils out by MGC labs. IMO they are very well made and a lot easier on the wallet. I have one on my racer 2 and they actually put my email and a couple of pics I sent to them on their website. Give them a chance if your in the market. I think they are well made and separate well too plus they come with a 2 year warranty. Not heavy like the Minelab 10.5" coil for the xterra at all. I got the 13" DD for my racer and also going to buy the 8X5 for it too.

They even have a coil for the ACE 250 that changes it to a 10khz. Kind of interesting.

My friend got one for his garrett as well and he too is very happy with it.

Here is a link to their website. They are made in Russia but ship out of New York.

http://www.mgc-lab.com/en/

Are you considering another coil or trying to find out if yours is a fake coil?

If your looking for another coil that may be a little easier on the wallet check these coils out by MGC labs. IMO they are very well made and a lot easier on the wallet. I have one on my racer 2 and they actually put my email and a couple of pics I sent to them on their website. Give them a chance if your in the market. I think they are well made and separate well too plus they come with a 2 year warranty. Not heavy like the Minelab 10.5" coil for the xterra at all. I got the 13" DD for my racer and also going to buy the 8X5 for it too.

They even have a coil for the ACE 250 that changes it to a 10khz. Kind of interesting.

My friend got one for his garrett as well and he too is very happy with it.

Here is a link to their website. They are made in Russia but ship out of New York.

http://www.mgc-lab.com/en/
Those Xterra coils are reverse engineered (pirated) Ukrainian junk. Xterra coils aren't simply copper wound inside of a plastic and epoxy case. They are the first generation of digital coils, and the programming required CAN NOT be accurately reverse engineered, and therefore can't perform as well as authorized coils produced by either Minelab or Coiltek.

To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any counterfeit coils made for Xterra's, just the rip-off coils from former com-block outfits like NEL and Mars.

Those Xterra coils are reverse engineered (pirated) Ukrainian junk. Xterra coils aren't simply copper wound inside of a plastic and epoxy case. They are the first generation of digital coils, and the programming required CAN NOT be accurately reverse engineered, and therefore can't perform as well as authorized coils produced by either Minelab or Coiltek.

To the best of my knowledge there haven't been any counterfeit coils made for Xterra's, just the rip-off coils from former com-block outfits like NEL and Mars.

I am not talking about counterfeit coils or BS coils. I am talking about the MGC lab coils. And they are not junk. I cannot comment on the NEL or MARs but I can comment on the one I mentioned. I have had 3 xterra units. The only coil I really enjoyed was the 6" HF DD. The 10.5" made the unit way too top heavy and also was not very good at pin pointing either. I loved the xterra but over time it was out classed and I moved on.

It is just a metal detector coil and not a rocket ship. I do not hear anyone complain about the WOT coils and they seem to be pretty popular among minelab users.

I am not talking about counterfeit coils or BS coils. I am talking about the MGC lab coils. And they are not junk. I cannot comment on the NEL or MARs but I can comment on the one I mentioned. I have had 3 xterra units. The only coil I really enjoyed was the 6" HF DD. The 10.5" made the unit way too top heavy and also was not very good at pin pointing either. I loved the xterra but over time it was out classed and I moved on.

It is just a metal detector coil and not a rocket ship. I do not hear anyone complain about the WOT coils and they seem to be pretty popular among minelab users.
MGC is NOT an authorized manufacturer of Xterra coils, and that means that they DO NOT have the necessary information to properly program the Smartcoil™ electronics contained within. It also means that they are no different than the Mars or NEL pirates producing inferior coils.

The WOT (All Terrain) coils developed by Coiltek were produced under license in cooperation with Minelab, making them a far superior coil than anything made by Ukrainian thieves. Same goes for the 6" 3kHz DD "Digger" coil.

If you want to throw your hard earned at crooks, then knock yourself out, but don't try to tell me that they are as good or better than legitimate coils that operate as they should.

It really is that simple.

MGC is NOT an authorized manufacturer of Xterra coils, and that means that they DO NOT have the necessary information to properly program the Smartcoil™ electronics contained within. It also means that they are no different than the Mars or NEL pirates producing inferior coils.

The WOT (All Terrain) coils developed by Coiltek were produced under license in cooperation with Minelab, making them a far superior coil than anything made by Ukrainian thieves. Same goes for the 6" 3kHz DD "Digger" coil.

If you want to throw your hard earned at crooks, then knock yourself out, but don't try to tell me that they are as good or better than legitimate coils that operate as they should.

It really is that simple.

Hey I am just giving the OP some options. Whether they take the option or not is their own business. But after 37 years of metal detecting myself and after owning over 80 units personally from all over the spectrum and price range from names like D-Tex, Gold Mountain, Fisher, Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Teknetics, Garrett, Nokta and Makro. Also using them with several coil options and accessories too from other companies. Those are just personal units and also as a multi line dealer several other machines came through my hands as trade in units when I was a multi line dealer inside of a real brick and mortar store that primarily sold only metal detectors. I would like to think I can state a little something about coil options. Whether they are made by the original manufacturer or by an after market company. I would never give an opinion of something that I have never tried. So it is that simple I guess, if you want to look at it that way.

Yes there are fakes out there. Plenty of them but I am not mentioning a counterfeit. I am mentioning a coil company that produces a good coil. If you don't want to purchase one yourself, I am good with that too.

Hey, I only field tested the Coiltek coils you're mentioning for Coiltek. My insight into the specifics of that topic is a bit different than the average user or dealer, regardless of how long they've been around. I'm aware of certain things about those coils that make them impossible to replicate w/o information that would have to be stolen to obtain, and without that info unlicensed coils can't be accurate.

I also wouldn't trust a coil that requires a startup button pushing sequence just to function. If startup isn't as simple as just pushing the ON button, it isn't right. Having to force the unit to talk to the coil means that it is a compromise at best.

X Terrable

Not sure if you understand that coils can be made for any detector by any aftermarket company just like aftermarket rechargeable batteries, covers of all makes and sizes, stands, ID meters, etc. The MGC coils are not pirated but are made to work with other units just like any aftermarket coil company - NEL, Sun Ray, Cors, etc. They just so happen to make a few for the X Terras. Wonder why? Could it be that the X Terras weren't worth a flip when operated with the standard concentric stock Minelab super duper engineered coils in any frequency? Why was the 18.75 DD coil the coil everybody wanted? And the clever "change the frequency with the coil" concept. Why didn't they didn't they just stay with one or 2 coil sizes and change the frequency in the detector programming? Maybe they had a marketing genius that said when they buy the X Terra, the poor guy that bought it will have twice his $ wrapped up in coils. Well, then comes along the MGC coil company that makes several aftermarket coils for for the Fisher F75, AT Pro, X Terra, Garrett Ace and a few others. I don't think it's all that hard to take anything apart and duplicate or even make it better. The Japanese have done that to the US since WW2 on just about everything you are using today.

I purchased one of MGC coils a week ago and have never seen a coil built like a tank, light and such a $ value. The coax cable is none like I have seen. Thicker than any but more flexible. They all come with coil cover and even a signed 2 year warranty card. My buddy is using his 5" DD on Ace 300 and is now bugging me to get him the 13" and a one for his AT Pro. I will be getting one for my F75 and Racer 2 also. Might check them out....

Not sure if YOU understand that the Xterra isn't like any other detector, very much UNlike any Fisher, White's, Tesoro, etc...
I'm thinking that you don't.
Minelab employs several top notch physicists in their R&D program, which is part of why they are the big dog when it comes to metal detecting.

And FWIW, my 18.75kHz coils have been the least useful to me. I don't even own but one HF coil anymore for that very reason.

As I stated in an earlier post, if you want to waste your hard earned supporting former com-block technology thieves knock yourself out. Just don't come around whining when the same folks steal your identity too.

Minelab is only the "Big Dog" because they say so in their advertising and manuals, not because it is a proven fact. I bet there have been more finds made with the Garrett name brand than any other worldwide.

Several First Texas Products can run circles around the Xterra and go as deep and deeper too and are way better in trash due to a faster processor. The only advantage to Minelab is their ability to pick out non ferrous in moderate iron by going very slow with some of the Explorer type format units, ie, Safari, Quattro, E Trac and so forth in maybe a so called hunted out park or field.

But for a turn on and go unit that hit the scene going on 10 years ago or whatever now, it had some cool features. Large target ID, 4 AA batteries, good sturdy control rod, easy to navigate but not really one you would hold on to for years as no matter what coil I had on mine, it just would not get the depth of other machines like Fisher, Etc.

As far the Xterra coil goes, it is just a little computer chip or resistor that enables communication with the processor inside of the housing on the Xterra control board.

If it were a coil that could not communicate with the housings internals on the xterra, the CU notification would present itself on the turn on sequence. And that may be what a lot of people encountered with the fake coils you mention.

Again, the MGC-Labs coils are not counterfeit coils made to look like the originals and sold under the same name. Completely separate entity that make a very well built after market coil for several name brands.

By the way, do you have a link to one of the reviews of the coils by Coiltek online or a link to share in which you were a part of? Would love to read it. I like reviews.

Sorry about the post

Really sorry about that post but this is starting to sound like Art Bell on Coast to Coast radio or maybe ML gives a free unit from time to time for folks to try out. Just saying...

I have used the xterra 705 for more hours than I care to count..Great machine and still one of the best in my opinion.
I have also owned and used every coil minelab made, and nel made including the dual frequency coils from Mars.
All good coils from all manufacturers..with the aftermarket coils I just plugged them into multiple xterra 705s I've owned and never had to do any ritual to make them work.
The absolute deepest coil is the tornado mf coil.There is not a machine I've owned that will hit a honest 10 coin I have planted over 10 years ago bit the xterra 705 with the that coil.
Best medium sized coil I've used is a mars 7.5 kHz 6x10.
I like all coils but those two seemed a perfect fit for that machine.Deep, stable and hit hard.
I like the minelab 10.5 but don't like the ears back so far.

I have used the xterra 705 for more hours than I care to count..Great machine and still one of the best in my opinion.
I have also owned and used every coil minelab made, and nel made including the dual frequency coils from Mars.
All good coils from all manufacturers..with the aftermarket coils I just plugged them into multiple xterra 705s I've owned and never had to do any ritual to make them work.
The absolute deepest coil is the tornado mf coil.There is not a machine I've owned that will hit a honest 10 coin I have planted over 10 years ago bit the xterra 705 with the that coil.
Best medium sized coil I've used is a mars 7.5 kHz 6x10.
I like all coils but those two seemed a perfect fit for that machine.Deep, stable and hit hard.
I like the minelab 10.5 but don't like the ears back so far.

Hey that is great info. Goes to show you there are others who KNOW aftermarket coils work well or better than the original manufacture ones do.

But if we don't watch it, we Eastern block ex communist fans will be thrown into the gulag labor camps.

Hey that is great info. Goes to show you there are others who KNOW aftermarket coils work well or better than the original manufacture ones do.

But if we don't watch it, we Eastern block ex communist fans will be thrown into the gulag labor camps.

Some guys are just really passionate about certain machines.I understand that,I’m just not that way..I actually kept a coil or 2 from my last Xterra knowing sooner or later I’d get another,they’re that good imo,,just don’t come up used a lot.

Im sorry this thread turned into a , sort of debate on coils. I do appreciate all the replies.
Ok enough BS.
Yep I remembered hearing of some fake Xterra coils back in circa 2014. My 10.5" mid frequency was touted as the best coil made for the 705 or maybe expressed as so good that I expected greater results. To me it runs a little unstable as for the VDI gos. Clad dimes bounced just like my 5" x 10" 18.75 khz which is the bounciest coil on coins. The 10.5" DD was used 3 days in Maine, used in Daytona beach, and of course Connecticut. I can't remember digging a coin past 4" with it. Honestly I think something is wrong. I slam copper pennies at 8 inches with the 6" 3 khz Digger coil by " Coiltek". That Digger coils always been a hot coil. Maybe It's not fair to compare against that one but the 5x10" 18.7 khz and the 10.5" 7.5 khz compare with the only difference that I frequently dig 8" coins with the 5 x10". So to me I gained nothing buying that 10.5" DD mid freq coil. Ebay $165.

I'm surprised to hear negative comments on Xterra and Minelab my lord Gary Drayton has a 30 30 Crazy glued to his arm!!! And I'm sure Garrett makes good detectors. So many of the people here love their AT Pros. Me, before I upgraded I downloaded and studied manuals from many popular detectors, watched videos and most important wrote to and listened to my Senior Detectorists right here. I fweiken love my 705. Im a Minelab guy. Hey, I also love my Garrett Pro Pointer! It works for me.
Maybe It's a "Chevy Ford thing" because those two auto company names said in the same breath cause some men to start beating their chests and unzipping for a compare contest!

Im sorry this thread turned into a , sort of debate on coils. I do appreciate all the replies.
Ok enough BS.
Yep I remembered hearing of some fake Xterra coils back in circa 2014. My 10.5" mid frequency was touted as the best coil made for the 705 or maybe expressed as so good that I expected greater results. To me it runs a little unstable as for the VDI gos. Clad dimes bounced just like my 5" x 10" 18.75 khz which is the bounciest coil on coins. The 10.5" DD was used 3 days in Maine, used in Daytona beach, and of course Connecticut. I can't remember digging a coin past 4" with it. Honestly I think something is wrong. I slam copper pennies at 8 inches with the 6" 3 khz Digger coil by " Coiltek". That Digger coils always been a hot coil. Maybe It's not fair to compare against that one but the 5x10" 18.7 khz and the 10.5" 7.5 khz compare with the only difference that I frequently dig 8" coins with the 5 x10". So to me I gained nothing buying that 10.5" DD mid freq coil. Ebay $165.

I'm surprised to hear negative comments on Xterra and Minelab my lord Gary Drayton has a 30 30 Crazy glued to his arm!!! And I'm sure Garrett makes good detectors. So many of the people here love their AT Pros. Me, before I upgraded I downloaded and studied manuals from many popular detectors, watched videos and most important wrote to and listened to my Senior Detectorists right here. I fweiken love my 705. Im a Minelab guy. Hey, I also love my Garrett Pro Pointer! It works for me.
Maybe It's a "Chevy Ford thing" because those two auto company names said in the same breath cause some men to start beating their chests and unzipping for a compare contest!

What I've noticed from the minelab 10.5 coil is its very powerfull.In any type of trash it would read everything and the visual ID wasn t good..it is a coil though that will excell in cleaner ground, that's where I'd use it.

Not sure if YOU understand that the Xterra isn't like any other detector, very much UNlike any Fisher, White's, Tesoro, etc...
I'm thinking that you don't.
Minelab employs several top notch physicists in their R&D program, which is part of why they are the big dog when it comes to metal detecting.

And FWIW, my 18.75kHz coils have been the least useful to me. I don't even own but one HF coil anymore for that very reason.

As I stated in an earlier post, if you want to waste your hard earned supporting former com-block technology thieves knock yourself out. Just don't come around whining when the same folks steal your identity too.

I agree with longhair these machines ain’t like anything else I have ever used:cool3:

Not sure if you understand that coils can be made for any detector by any aftermarket company just like aftermarket rechargeable batteries, covers of all makes and sizes, stands, ID meters, etc. The MGC coils are not pirated but are made to work with other units just like any aftermarket coil company - NEL, Sun Ray, Cors, etc. They just so happen to make a few for the X Terras. Wonder why? Could it be that the X Terras weren't worth a flip when operated with the standard concentric stock Minelab super duper engineered coils in any frequency? Why was the 18.75 DD coil the coil everybody wanted? And the clever "change the frequency with the coil" concept. Why didn't they didn't they just stay with one or 2 coil sizes and change the frequency in the detector programming? Maybe they had a marketing genius that said when they buy the X Terra, the poor guy that bought it will have twice his $ wrapped up in coils. Well, then comes along the MGC coil company that makes several aftermarket coils for for the Fisher F75, AT Pro, X Terra, Garrett Ace and a few others. I don't think it's all that hard to take anything apart and duplicate or even make it better. The Japanese have done that to the US since WW2 on just about everything you are using today.

I purchased one of MGC coils a week ago and have never seen a coil built like a tank, light and such a $ value. The coax cable is none like I have seen. Thicker than any but more flexible. They all come with coil cover and even a signed 2 year warranty card. My buddy is using his 5" DD on Ace 300 and is now bugging me to get him the 13" and a one for his AT Pro. I will be getting one for my F75 and Racer 2 also. Might check them out....

There is one coil that nobody has been able to duplicate, that is the Bigfoot coil.
I use aftermarket coils on most of my detectors with no problems.

There is one coil that nobody has been able to duplicate, that is the Bigfoot coil.
I use aftermarket coils on most of my detectors with no problems.
Most of your detectors don't employ proprietary digital technology. Therein lies the difference.

Back
Top Bottom