My large cents cache

Jeff R

Elite Member
[FONT=&quot]I couldn't find my post... it must have disappeared over the last year... but here it is again!
You just NEVER know what you will find! From last fall.

This was going to be a short hunt because snow was to come in early morning to the quiet woods, interrupting any further plans to search the area. I [/FONT][FONT=&quot]had decided to[/FONT]<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter" /> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0" /> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0" /> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1" /> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2" /> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth" /> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight" /> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1" /> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2" /> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth" /> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0" /> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight" /> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0" /> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect" /> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t" /> </v:shapetype><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_2" o:spid="_x0000_s1027" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.dirt-fishing.com/images/stories/13Dec07pennys.jpg" style='position:absolute; margin-left:0;margin-top:0;width:75pt;height:70.5pt;z-index:1;visibility:visible; mso-wrap-style:square;mso-wrap-distance-left:3.75pt;mso-wrap-distance-top:3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right:3.75pt;mso-wrap-distance-bottom:3.75pt; mso-position-horizontal:left;mso-position-horizontal-relative:text; mso-position-vertical:absolute;mso-position-vertical-relative:line' o:allowoverlap="f"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg" mce_src="file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg" o:title="13Dec07pennys" /> <w:wrap type="square" anchory="line" /> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->[FONT=&quot] search around the edges of the small hill on the outskirts of the spot of the six large cents. I quickly[/FONT][FONT=&quot] received a signal that indicated a coin approximately 5-7 inches deep. I hurriedly dug the signal and found[/FONT][FONT=&quot] [/FONT][FONT=&quot]a large cent. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Placing it in my pocket I swung the SE over the removed soil from the hole. [/FONT]<!--[if gte vml 1]><v:shape id="Picture_x0020_3" o:spid="_x0000_s1026" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="http://www.dirt-fishing.com/images/stories/MDphotos/pennys.jpg" style='position:absolute;margin-left:16.25pt;margin-top:0;width:56.25pt; height:75pt;z-index:2;visibility:visible;mso-wrap-style:square; mso-wrap-distance-left:3.75pt;mso-wrap-distance-top:3.75pt; mso-wrap-distance-right:3.75pt;mso-wrap-distance-bottom:3.75pt; mso-position-horizontal:right;mso-position-horizontal-relative:text; mso-position-vertical:absolute;mso-position-vertical-relative:line' o:allowoverlap="f"> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.jpg" mce_src="file:///C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image003.jpg" o:title="pennys" /> <w:wrap type="square" anchory="line" /> </v:shape><![endif]--><!--[if !vml]--><!--[endif]-->[FONT=&quot]Beep! Another signal… another large cent! I removed one after another large cent from the hill side. Sometimes as many as four [/FONT][FONT=&quot]at a time! I placed them deep into my pocket and returned for more. Once I was satisfied that the hole was not producing any more I moved around the hill side until I received another high pitched signal Digging this signal revealed more large cents several with each handful of dirt.[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]The snow[/FONT][FONT=&quot] was starting [/FONT][FONT=&quot]and I filled my holes and returned to the car. Once home I asked my wife to open her hands and close her eyes. I placed 3 handfuls of large cents in her out stretched hands. The large cents dated between 1842 and 1852. 34 large cents, a bank of Upper Canada ½ penny token, and a Bank of Nova Scotia ½ penny token.[/FONT]
main.php

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]cheers![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Jeff
[/FONT]

I was hoping you'd bring this one back. Too bad it was lost a couple of times in the past. Did you ever get back there to hunt for more?

I went out today my first time in a while and only got 11cents.

I dream of hitting it big time like this. Great find.

I went out today my first time in a while and only got 11cents.

I dream of hitting it big time like this. Great find.
Don't feel bad about 11 cents, my best day i had only found 13 cents and than got a gold coin. The magic can and does happen when one least expects it.

WL is right!
Don't be discouraged. You are only one outing away from the find of a lifetime!
I have had a couple... very fortunately.
I did get back a couple more times and picked up a couple LC I missed, a half dime,and some other goodies (musket balls, buttons, spoon, scabbard ring and such).

My advice:
Do your research, map it out, plan, and be though in the execution of your plan.. success will follow. Not always like you would expect though.

Look around here at the best forum on the net (the one and only Friendly Forum) for my George Washington Inaugural button story. That was freaky!:wow:
I did bag a couple pocket spills a dozen IH and my Barber spill of $1.75.
They do not come along often but when they do! DO THE DANCE! :bouncy:

Happy Hunting!
Jeff

dang - that is amazing Jeff!

You East coasters got it made in that respect. Here in the upper Midwest I just don't see any potential of picking a large cent out of the ground. My oldest coin ever from up here is a 1886 seated liberty dime and have been trying to beat that for years...

Jeff that blew me away the first time I saw it and it still does. Well done, and glad you brought it back.:yes:

Back
Top Bottom