Weekend war nickels

NCtoad

Forum Supporter
I got a short hunt in on Saturday afternoon. I decided to take my mojave for a change instead of the nox which I've been using pretty much exclusively since I got it over a year and a half ago. The little mojave didn't disappoint as it got me a 1943 war nickel in a yard that Worm and I had hit before with our equinoxes. Today Worm and I hit the same yard (I took my nox this time) and he came up with 5 or 6 wheats and another war nickel. He also got a 1914 wheatie, but not a mint mark on it:lol: I only got 1 wheat and a 1948 rabies tag plus a lot of junk because I was digging every signal that sounded halfway decent. Today's nickel makes 5 silvers out of this small yard...2 for Worm and 3 for me. This is the same yard Worm got 17 or 18 wheaties out of a few weeks ago. I'm now at 30 fty and Worm is at 33.

Attachments

• 20190818_192250_HDR.jpg
    20190818_192250_HDR.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 587840445.jpg
    587840445.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 285
  • 587839022.jpg
    587839022.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 312
Glad you and Worm got out again Scott. Congrats on the Silver Nickel's and all those Wheat's. Have not seen any posts from Travis of late. Hope all is well. Your friendly competition is really a close one. Trapper

Love the war nickels, Man! Congrats!
Your dog tag, though, raises a question. A curiosity I have about that shape. I have seen various dog tags dating back to over 100 years ago, made in lots of different shapes. They are often dog-related shapes, like a bone, dog house, bell, fire hydrant, etc. Then there's this tapered edge, squared shape like yours. I thought it was a more modern thing, but you have a '48 here, in that unmistakable "dog tag" shape. My question is: Does this shape represent something dog-related(or even not dog related), that I am not seeing? Often wondered about that...anyone?

Nice job! I love finding war nickels

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job guys! I have not found a War Nickel in almost a month!

Good hunt....war nickels are always a nice find.

Nice finds. Congrats.

HD

Nice war nickel & cool old dog tag. ;)

Congrats on the war nickels! I find those occasionally.

Glad you and Worm got out again Scott. Congrats on the Silver Nickel's and all those Wheat's. Have not seen any posts from Travis of late. Hope all is well. Your friendly competition is really a close one. Trapper

Congrats on the war nickel and the old tag. I love me some war nickels!

Sounds like quite a productive site you've got there, congrats on the finds :)
Thanks everyone! War nickels are always a pleasant surprise. One thing of note is that the war nickel I found the weekend before with my nox rang up a solid 20. I was quite surprised to see a war nickel come out of the ground.

Love the war nickels, Man! Congrats!
Your dog tag, though, raises a question. A curiosity I have about that shape. I have seen various dog tags dating back to over 100 years ago, made in lots of different shapes. They are often dog-related shapes, like a bone, dog house, bell, fire hydrant, etc. Then there's this tapered edge, squared shape like yours. I thought it was a more modern thing, but you have a '48 here, in that unmistakable "dog tag" shape. My question is: Does this shape represent something dog-related(or even not dog related), that I am not seeing? Often wondered about that...anyone?
I don't think the shape is anything dog related...maybe just a specific shape for a rabies tag that would be easily identified by it's shape. I found an identical one a week or two before in a yard about a half mile away. Same year too!

Attachments

• 20190823_181802_HDR.jpg
    20190823_181802_HDR.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 183
I don't think the shape is anything dog related...maybe just a specific shape for a rabies tag that would be easily identified by it's shape. I found an identical one a week or two before in a yard about a half mile away. Same year too!

Hmm. Thanks for the reply. Not so sure about the vaccination tag theory. I have 3 tags of that shape that are County Dog License tags; not rabies vac. tags. I also have rabies vac. tags that are in other shapes. Maybe it's a standard "tag" shape that just became traditional, and is still used today.

OK, I decided to actually try to look it up. I found one tag supplier website that has this shape with a rounded bottom, and they call it "bucket" shaped. Another supplier has the flat bottom version, and they call it "keystone" shaped. Neither are strongly related to dogs, in my opinion. I thought of keystone before, but the keystone shape commonly has the extra wedge shape on the top, so I discounted that. These tags actually are keystone shaped; just the more simple version. Thank you! This is enough for me for now. Now I can sleep at night. :yes:

Congrats on the war nickle.

I found a heart shaped rabies tag recently, it has an ID number on it but no date. :(

Back
Top Bottom