WW2 glider pilot wings

cellrdwellr

Elite Member
Ok, so I know what these are, and I know its a long shot, but would like to try to find who earned these wings. I found them very close to the sidewalk in my buddies front yard of a 1909 home in Holyoke, MA. That does NOT necessarily mean this soldier is FROM Holyoke, but its a start. So that is, in fact, where I started. The only glider I can find from Holyoke, is listed here, https://www.ww2gp.org/bio-file/bioFileLimited.php?getveteran=4496
BUT, I cannot find any other info on this man, if I could find out where he resided in Holyoke, that might help. Really any info AT ALL is appreciated. Already started putting together some finds for a display. Unfortunately I don't find much WW2 stuff, most of the sites I hunt are late 1800's if not colonial. I got a '43 merc, '44 war nick, and a '42 Washington for the coins. I have one tiny sterling eagle pin and a tiny general service button to add to it too. I would like to put a photo of the soldier in the display with a small bio if I can figure this puzzle out. Its finds like these that really make you take a look at your life, and shows us how good we really have it today. Ever read the job description for a glider pilot? INSANE! Also, it makes me appreciate all those who have served that much more, so thank you Vets for all that you have done! THANKS SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!

Attachments

• 0814191837_Film4.jpg
    0814191837_Film4.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 478
Hmm..according to wikipedia it not just a glider pilot badge, but awarded to anyone who had completed glider training or participated in at last one combat glider mission. So there was a fair number of infantrymen who got this badge, unless i am mistaken.
And post war to those who completed glider unit training.

Voriax

Last edited:
One thing you might try, although it is a long shot. In the old days, when we bought a piece of property, we had a title search done. Nowadays they just use title insurance. But should the property where you found it have had a title search then you might find a soldier's name in there. Besides the old title search documents are a lot of fun to read.

Thank you all for the swift responses, will definitely check these resources out. Yes these badges were given out to quite a few soldiers from what I'm reading, but you have to remember, many didnt make it home. So any soldiers listed as MIA,KIA,POW, etc, we can obviously rule out. This soldier completed his training and either survived the war and made it home, or was discharged for other reasons. Either way he made it back to the states. I know this will be a process, and I will keep this post updated as the puzzle pieces fall into place. Thanks so much everyone!
Edit: just sent Angelo angels an email, hopefully they might be able to help!

Last edited:
Hmm..according to wikipedia it not just a glider pilot badge, but awarded to anyone who had completed glider training or participated in at last one combat glider mission. So there was a fair number of infantrymen who got this badge, unless i am mistaken.
And post was to those who completed glider unit training.

Voriax

you are not mistaken. there were entire regiment of Glider Infantry.

Thank you all for the swift responses, will definitely check these resources out. Yes these badges were given out to quite a few soldiers from what I'm reading, but you have to remember, many didnt make it home. So any soldiers listed as MIA,KIA,POW, etc, we can obviously rule out. This soldier completed his training and either survived the war and made it home, or was discharged for other reasons. Either way he made it back to the states. I know this will be a process, and I will keep this post updated as the puzzle pieces fall into place. Thanks so much everyone!
That's not necessarily true. It could have been returned to the family with his personal effects.

Cliff

That's not necessarily true. It could have been returned to the family with his personal effects.

Cliff

True didnt think of that, wasn't aware they even did that back then. Another obstacle! :roll: I've sent multiple emails and havent heard anything, though its only been a couple of days. Going to be really tough to find the owner, I understand that, but I'm going to give it my best shot! Thanks cliff!

Those badges are a dime a dozen, dont even bother, its not like its personalized. BTW those are not pilot wings, those are for soliders who completed glider training. Glider version of airborne jump wings.

Just feel like a family would maybe like to have these back, probably won't find the owner, but I feel it's more than reasonable to at least attempt, odds aside.

Just feel like a family would maybe like to have these back, probably won't find the owner, but I feel it's more than reasonable to at least attempt, odds aside.

I know what you're saying, but you don't know if they're war or post war, were dropped by the owner, lost by some kid with some stuff given to him by a cousin of a friend visiting from out of state in the summer of 85, who bought them at a flea market in Oklahoma....

Great find. put them in your display.

I know what you're saying, but you don't know if they're war or post war, were dropped by the owner, lost by some kid with some stuff given to him by a cousin of a friend visiting from out of state in the summer of 85, who bought them at a flea market in Oklahoma....

Great find. put them in your display.

Very true, or they could actually belong to the person that previously lived in the home, and they actually served and made it home. Trying to figure that out, I guess beyond that, I really dont have much to go by. SO, if a deeds search turns up nothing, I guess it will make the display that much cooler. Thanks everyone for your feedback, and appologize if I came off as being rude above. Just feel it is something worth at least attempting to return. Happy hunting folks!

Jeff those are some amazing awesome wings! The display sounds like it’s going to be pretty slick. Maybe the town has a Veterans memorial hall? Might be worth a check, dunno! Good luck man!

You are doing the right thing. I believe that what appear to be "accidents" aren't always....accidents. Hope you find your flier...what a story it would make!

Jeff those are some amazing awesome wings! The display sounds like it’s going to be pretty slick. Maybe the town has a Veterans memorial hall? Might be worth a check, dunno! Good luck man!

You are doing the right thing. I believe that what appear to be "accidents" aren't always....accidents. Hope you find your flier...what a story it would make!

Thanks fellas! There is an air force base not far from Holyoke, it's called Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee, MA. Could somehow be tied in? Ill look and see if there's any verterans memorials around, but not sure there is. I also agree, maybe this item was even reported missing at one point, lots of questions that may never be answered... Was really hoping to answer them, but from the sounds of it, chances are not very good. Good luck out there!

Try masslandrecords.com. Search Hampden county then search recorded land by name. The address you’re looking for is there but I don’t like to post people’s personal information online. If you can’t find it you can send me a private message. Nice find btw!

Thanks fellas! There is an air force base not far from Holyoke, it's called Westover Air Reserve Base in Chicopee, MA. Could somehow be tied in? Ill look and see if there's any verterans memorials around, but not sure there is. I also agree, maybe this item was even reported missing at one point, lots of questions that may never be answered... Was really hoping to answer them, but from the sounds of it, chances are not very good. Good luck out there!
Don't get discouraged! It will be a heck if a story if you can pull it off. You might ask for help in the local newspaper.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom