Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Big boys Hobbies
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Metal Detecting > Beach and Water Hunting

Old 01-13-2019, 06:37 PM

Default Search for ladies lost wedding ring...

I received a phone call from fellow club member about a couple who contacted RPDC about a lost wedding ring. Apparently, the wife while fishing lost her wedding ring while casting her line. Unable to find the ring, they gave our club a call. I was called as the location was located in my area and asked if I could help locate the ladies ring. I agreed to give it a try and called another club member Mike to give a hand. Unfortunately, neither Mike or myself were successful after 2 hours of searching. The bottom was covered in mid-sized boulder type rocks, lots of silt and undergrowth. Visibility was zero. Mike and I gave it our all. The couple was grateful for our attempt. Our club receives calls quite frequently to help in locating all sorts of things. We ask nothing in return for our services, except sometimes for gas $$$ if we are successful. As usual, we asked for nothing, however, they decided to give us $50 for our attempt.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 06:53 PM

I just started taking a dip and MD in the water and I noticed that everything moves almost every second except slack tide. I find it even strange to find anything let alone something that was lost a few hours ago.

The ocean is big and a ring is so small.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Old 01-13-2019, 07:08 PM
A Knight of the Round Coil

Hopefully Scubadetector will chime in and give some advice here. Hunting that mucky stuff has got to be very difficult.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:41 PM

I might add that there was no current. The water source is from a geothermal hot spring and moves very slowly. Every step we took was a chore. Our feet either got stuck in the muck or was slippery when on the rocks. We had to use one of our scoops to stabilize ourselves from falling. We had difficulty swing our detectors because of the strainers under the surface. Here is a picture of Mike just after almost going completely down for a swim.
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2019, 10:44 PM
Elite Member

Are you asking for help?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-13-2019, 10:55 PM
Elite Member

good stories. Good pix. Good on you for the valiant effort !

Old 01-14-2019, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by L0S3R View post
Are you asking for help?

Bounty hunter - treasure hunter - cabelas
Best find to date - 15g platinum ring and 1876 love token
No, not asking for help, just sharing our story.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 AM
Supporter

Thats a bummer but good for you for trying. Looks like that spot was really tough too.

Custom AT Pro w/Remote PP & NEL Snake 3.5x6.5 Coil

Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 AM
Freshwater Shark

Not asking but I can give you advice.

The bottom is soft? STOP WALKING ON IT. If you miss the target by half an inch with the detector and step on it, you will sink it too far into the muck to recover it. You need to snorkel and detect the area.

Good luck if you go back

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 AM

Here's my take on this. Do not give up!!! Its there and can be found. A recovery is not always found on the first attempt. Also if she was casting it may have been thrown out further. Obviously the water is cold by the clothing your wearing. Warmer weather may help you get out further. Lower level of water may also get you out further. Snorkeling may be a option if you're comfortable with it. But just dont give it one shot. Go back till you find it

Old 01-14-2019, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Detect America View post
Here's my take on this. Do not give up!!! Its there and can be found. A recovery is not always found on the first attempt. Also if she was casting it may have been thrown out further. Obviously the water is cold by the clothing your wearing. Warmer weather may help you get out further. Lower level of water may also get you out further. Snorkeling may be a option if you're comfortable with it. But just dont give it one shot. Go back till you find it
The wife said she saw exactly where her ring hit the water and noted a reference point. Unfortunately, the husband grabbed a strainer from the kitchen and attempted to locate the ring for about 20 minutes. After speaking with the husband, he admitted he most likely stomped the ring deep into the muck. The water level is constant as it's source is from a geothermal spring. By the time the water reached the location, the water has become very cold. After I was done searching for a hour, my fingers were numb.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Scuba is right. You would have to be in a dry suit and experienced enough to be buoyant enough not to disturb the bottom and than lucky enough to find it in boulders.

CSI divers making good money and using the right gear may find it

Buy her another nicer ring, she's worth it if she likes to fish.

Old 01-14-2019, 03:02 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by FelixtheCat View post
Hopefully Scubadetector will chime in and give some advice here. Hunting that mucky stuff has got to be very difficult.
Thats what we deal,with alot up here in CT

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

best finds to date - 1821 capped bust dime ,1853 seated quarter, (2) 1891 seated dimes, 1874 seated dime, 1887 seated dime love token , 1777 half reale ,1805 drapped bust largie, 1914 barber half dollar,1812 classic head largie, 1864 2 cent piece,(1909 barber half dollar with a 1934 walker half dollar in the same hole together)1952 ben franklin half dollar

Old 01-17-2019, 12:10 PM
Elite Member

That looks like tough going right there! Way to give it a good effort though.

Old 01-18-2019, 09:47 PM
Supporter

Good luck!