Dallas & Garland Texas areas

I've been trying to find some places to go around The Colony for once it cools down a bit.

Dallas Parks is Prohibited

I was at a Dallas Park 2 weeks ago. The one and only park ranger of Dallas Co in a 902 square mile radius gave me a warning. I have the rules on pdf file on phone and on a print out as well. The closest rule is about driving golf balls or riding atvs on "turf"

The Ranger was Luther Gladney Dallas Park and Recreation 214-670-6840

I was at a Dallas Park 2 weeks ago. The one and only park ranger of Dallas Co in a 902 square mile radius gave me a warning. I have the rules on pdf file on phone and on a print out as well. The closest rule is about driving golf balls or riding atvs on "turf"

Interesting you posted this now. I've hunted Dallas for years, no probs until a month or so back. A Dallas cop told my buddy and I that all of Dallas parks were off limits to detecting, he took personal data and said next time it's a citation. I hoped for every other Tector that it was "just us" he didn't like. Oh well.

I'd still like to see the actual regulation in print though.

Interesting you posted this now. I've hunted Dallas for years, no probs until a month or so back. A Dallas cop told my buddy and I that all of Dallas parks were off limits to detecting, he took personal data and said next time it's a citation. I hoped for every other Tector that it was "just us" he didn't like. Oh well.

I'd still like to see the actual regulation in print though.

Ive never heard or read that...looking now and dont see anything..so I'll call it BS...
city of Dallas leaders are morons...All they are worrying about is tearing down old Confederate statues and putting green rental bikes on the streets....

found this in Dalla city ord.

SEC. 32-3. INJURY TO TREES, SHRUBS, FENCES, ETC.
It shall be unlawful for any person to cut, break, deface or in any way injure the trees, shrubs, plants, grass, turf, fountains, seats, fences, structures, improvements, ornaments or monuments or property, within or upon any of the public parks. (Ord. 8019)

Ranger Kicked Us Out!

My hunting buddy and I, here in South Dallas, were ask to leave Pecan Park near Kimball High School last night by the same Park Ranger.:mad: Said it was not legal to disturb or dig into the ground in any Dallas Parks. He didn't ask for our names or anything, but may have noted our vehicle plate numbers as he sat there waiting to watch us leave. Watched a Dallas news story on YouTube that said the Dallas Park Rangers were dissolved back in 1986, leaving the Dallas Police to watch the parks. In early 2017 they were brought back into existence , one supervisor and six patrolling Rangers. We both live less than a minute from the park and I was hunting it back in the mid 80's and never had any trouble! I graduated from Kimball in 1980.

.... Said it was not legal to disturb or dig into the ground in any Dallas Parks. .....

I got news for you :

a) It's not legal to "disturb" or "dig" or "alter" in every single park in the USA, on any level. Not just Dallas.

b) So if you cover your spot, fluff it up, and leave no trace of your having been there, then: Presto, you have not alterED or disturbED anything !! I would also apply this logic to the evil "dig" word. The only difference is, we don't say "diggED". So I would apply the same logic to dIg vs dUg

c) Hence unless they have a specific rule that truly says "no md'ing", I do not construe such "alter and deface" verbiage to disallow md'ing.

d) Is that to say that every last gardener or cop will agree with these semantics ?? Of course not. Fine: go at lower traffic times when said-lookie-lou busy-body is not present.

I have had lots of "scrams" by cops, which turned out to be nothing but isolated flukes . Perhaps someone called them, and no they're just responding to the call out. Perhaps they are simply having a bad hair day . I do not construe every "scram" as constituting gospel law. Sure: give lip service, don't argue, give the spot a "rest", etc.....

Kicked Out Update!

Tom, thanks for your input, wasn't aware it was nation wide.

Here is the update to my story:

8-23-18: Kicked out of park by Park Ranger, told not to return or face a fine.

8-25-18: Drove by the same park and witnessed and photographed a huge party going on in the park with over a half-dozen cars parked out on the park grounds 50 yards inside the park! A large sign at entrance to park states: NO VEHICLES ALLOWED ON PARK City Code 32-8. It's then repeated again in Spanish! Well, guess who is sitting 30 feet from where I'm taking the pics of the sign and all the cars out there, that's right, the same Park Ranger! He didn't do anything, just drove away! Went home and called the "Ranger Hotline #" and just got voicemail. Found their e-mail link and sent an angry e-mail about what had happened over the last few days along with the pictures to prove it.

8-27-18: Received a VERY apologetic phone call from the supervisor of the Dallas Park Rangers and guess who now can go detecting in any Dallas Park!!!!:lol:

8-25-18: Drove by the same park and witnessed and photographed a huge party going on in the park with over a half-dozen cars parked out on the park grounds 50 yards inside the park! A large sign at entrance to park states: NO VEHICLES ALLOWED ON PARK City Code 32-8. It's then repeated again in Spanish! Well, guess who is sitting 30 feet from where I'm taking the pics of the sign and all the cars out there, that's right, the same Park Ranger! He didn't do anything, just drove away! Went home and called the "Ranger Hotline #" and just got voicemail. Found their e-mail link and sent an angry e-mail about what had happened over the last few days along with the pictures to prove it.

8-27-18: Received a VERY apologetic phone call from the supervisor of the Dallas Park Rangers and guess who now can go detecting in any Dallas Park!!!!:lol:

Interesting. It just goes to show, as I was saying, that: Not every instance of a "scram" constitutes law. That is why, unless I see it explicitly stated "no md'ing", I am not going to conclude there's a rule, simply because of a "scram".

Sometimes it means just to "avoid that one individual" in the future. Some people might call that "sneaking around". Ok, fine: Sneak around :roll: Or, as in your case, getting it over-turned. Although that *might* have opened up an even bigger can of worm. Yet it worked for you, so ... hard to argue with that.

Hunting Buddy

Hey guys I live in McKinney Texas and looking for someone to go hunting with. If anyone is interested just let me know. I’d like to hunt down by the river bottoms or somewhere with a historical background.

Awesome...thanks for the update....

I have been hunting in the Abilene/Buffalo Gap area and i called the city of Abilene before i hunted the area. They told me there were no ordinances against md'ing in city owned parks. They also told me to have a good time and good luck. Great folks there!

I’m in McKinney if you still want someone to hunt with I’m available this Sunday.
Travis

I have been hunting in the Abilene/Buffalo Gap area and i called the city of Abilene before i hunted the area. They told me there were no ordinances against md'ing in city owned parks....

I'm curious: How did you phrase the question ? Did you mention you'd be digging your targets ? If not .... there's been some humorous posts where someone "gets permission" (or told "there is nothing regarding the use of metal detectors", or whatever). Yet someone still comes out and gripes.

When the md'r gleefully cites his city-hall answer, he is promptly reprimanded for "mincing words" and only saying "metal detectors". And failing to mention "dig".

And ... as you probably can guess, to say "dig" is a sure-fire permission killer :roll:

Back
Top Bottom