Sensitivity level

Jardine

Rookie detector with ATPro here.....The ground is hard and dry most places I detect, mining camps and old homesteads. I have run the pro with the sensitivity level all the way up, thinking “Hey, the more sensitive the better and deeper right?” But it being so dry, most finds are not deep. 2-3” is about average for turn of the century stuff. Endless trash is also an issue. Can anyone give their opinion on the pros and cons of running the detector on high vs mid or low sensitivity, in regards to target depth and hunting trashy sights? When would you lower the sensitivity level, when would you max it? I know I am missing good stuff because I don’t know what Im doing!

In a trashy park, I hunt with my sensitivity just under half...if it's REALLY trashy, I might even drop it down further. If I'm at a "clean" site like a homesite without trash I'll crank it up almost all the way. I still don't often dig the DEEP signals, but if it sounds good I will.

Always run a detector with as much sensitivity as you can while maintaining stability. Stability is the key. Your ears will tell you when it is stable.

Re-read the second sentence above. “Stability is the key”. Learn to set the sensitivty according to conditions,falsing and nonsense going on with the audio will NOT find you more coins because you’re running “hot”.
Good advice Goodmore...

Re-read the second sentence above. “Stability is the key”. Learn to set the sensitivty according to conditions,falsing and nonsense going on with the audio will NOT find you more coins because you’re running “hot”.
Good advice Goodmore...

Concur! These rigs are designed by the MFGs with conditions considered...most In field hunting is not optimal for running full bore and wide open..., so a guy has to get an idea on how the settings available can wring the optimal finds out of a certain location...a guy has to practice and pay attention...adjust as needed....experiment...

That said, I cant run my Pro around here any higher than 3 clicks down from full sens...If I try to go hotter, I get falsing an distracting chirps...Stable and accurate is the key! Even 3 bars down the Pro hits plenty deep and is a trusted hunter...

Attachments

• nov 16-16-1.jpg
    nov 16-16-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 549
I’m running the nox 600 most the time at 25. When that keyword stability starts to create some chatty tones I lower it down till it’s stable usually about 20.

I can run my Equinox 800 at 20 on the beach in beach mode 1, but even then, it is still a bit chatty if there's too much EMI in the area, it depends on how many people are walking around with cellphones and how much other EMI is in the area.

Sometimes I have to lower it below 20, which I don't like to do because I want to find those deep targets that the other guys swinging in the storm don't find.

I’m running the nox 600 most the time at 25. When that keyword stability starts to create some chatty tones I lower it down till it’s stable usually about 20.

I find that 20 is about right for the Nox 800...

A guy can run 20 at the beach in beach mode one if conditions are good.

I'd like to try it out of the city to see how high I can go with the sensitivity to make sure I have a good coil and a good brain unit.

Back
Top Bottom