• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Got me an AT Pro

StratTone

Elite Member
Bought it from a buddy that never used it. He loaned it to me for a couple weeks and I was thinking it was too heavy and really liked the 4 tone set up of the Fisher.

I currently have the F2 and F4 and have tried the F70 but couldn't get used to it so I returned it.

I've already used it twice for a couple hours and haven't found to much and would say my numbers are down but acceptable for something I am getting used too. I will say I have a lot to learn about the Pro mode.

All and all I'm excited about it and hoping to find some deeper treasure.

It's really a pretty basic, but effective machine. Stay with the Pro mode. I run zero disc most of the time and listen to everything. If there's a lot of small iron I might run disc up to 20. If you don't have a 5x8 coil get one. I use it 90% of the time, especially on wooded sites. Good luck.

Congrats on the at pro..That machine laid the ground work for probably every waterproof multi purpose machines made today.
Coils selections are plentiful and affordable, customer service is the best in the business,if there's a problem it'll be fixed in a fast and efficient way.
I couldn't say enough good about the at pro..And I'll bet more dealers sell more at pro machines than anything else.
I agree with what's been said,get a 5x8 if you can,swings like a breeze and picks stuff outta trash filled places.
Pro zero mode is good,has the proportional audio,deeper targets are weaker sounding... Standard mode has the audio gain maxed so 9 inch targets are as loud as 3 inch targets.I use standard mode in fields for that reason,fewer targets and the deep ones stand out better for me.

Last edited:
New detectors are always fun.

Just have to build up your confidence in it. When you start finding things you will get there. If you haven't purchased a after market coil I would say that would help. The 5x8 coil seems to do a great job for me. I havent put batteries in my pro for a few months. Im learning my Etrac and my F75 is my main detector. Do not give up, you got a great detector there.

The ATP is a very good machine. Yes, there are better. As with all brands and models, there is a learning curve. Stick with it and in a short time you'll be in the groove. GL

The ATP is my first and only machine so I can't compare it to anything. In my opinion it is a solid machine. I've found coin sized targets 8+ inches and bigger targets closer to 12". I run in Pro Zero, have since the first day. You can distinctly hear the difference in the tones depending on the target and the depth. I like running my sensitivity all the way up when possible. Gives a little more depth. Also, my disc is from 20-35, sometimes less, depending where I am. Like another poster mentioned, pick yourself up a 5X8 coil. Tremendous difference in trashy areas. You can distinctly hear a pull tab from a coin with no issue.

I'm sure there are better machines on the market, but for the money, quality and for a beginner, like myself, it is a great tool. Garrett customer service is second to none. Some of the best I've seen. They will answer any questions and go out of their way to help.

Play with it and learn what it is telling you and you wont be disappointed. Also, if you haven't already looked, YouTube has some great videos on ATP. Some are from Garrett showing the setup features and use....Good luck and enjoy your new ATP

Good choice! It was my first machine and I learned my ‘trade’ on it.

The Pro has a solid pedigree of an Infield performer...It indeed crosses over into many disciplines/genres of this Sport...Mega Claddies, Waterbabies, old silver doggers, totlotters....All sorts of Yeah...Sure we could pick it apart 6 ways from Sunday, and we have, but in the end, it really boils down to In Field performance, which the Pro has amply exhibited...You can use this rig with extreme confidence...Good on ya....

Thanks guys! Tried it again today at lunch in STD and was killing coins. Tomorrow at the lake I'm gonna go PRO exclusively since I'll have more time.

The 5x8 coil is for sure on the radar but at $125 I'm gonna have to wait a little bit before I grab it.

Good luck with your machine. I started with the Ace 400, then pretty quickly got the ATP. I've found some nice stuff with it during the past few months while learning it. Once you learn the tones and build confidence, you'll really appreciate it. Good luck!

Little AT Pro update.

About 3 days ago I got my first silver with the ATP. I was in STD mode. It was marked Sterling and had 3 diamonds that appeared to be set quite well. I figured with it being Sterling it was older and since it was set well there was a chance they were real and I'll be danged if they didn't test real! :D

The day after that I had some time to really work in the Pro mode and I have to say I really like it. It was odd at first of course but once I realized I needed to slow way way down to use it properly I started getting dialed in. I'm still digging a bunch of bottle caps but they are always smashed so that isn't surprising but I have noticed the sine wave sounds when you get a top that has a rounded edge.

Another thing I notice is Pro mode is that you I focus more on the sounds themselves. There is a certain crispness and tightness to targets that are good vs junk. So I'm feeling pretty confident in Pro mode for targets 4" and up. I still need to work on deeper targets to figure out if I am passing things up using my current method.

5DQdz7e.jpg

You won't go wrong in Pro mode. That gives you by far the most information. I really like ATP and use the 5x8 coil the most. It's easier on the old arm and you don't lose to much depth. Enjoy!

Back
Top Bottom