Donut dimes.?

Usa

Elite Member
I have seen a multitude of pictures of dimes,half's and quarters(mostly old ones) with holes in them can anyone tell me why.

Dang it I was hoping you were doing a Public Service Announcement (PSA) that Dunkin Donuts was having a Donut Sale today !

now I want one.. Please refrain from using the word Big Mac though please

They would also sew to the inside of clothing (pockets non-existent or just unreliable) for security. Some holed coins were also nailed above the door for good luck.

Pockets, back in the day, were (thankfully!) bad at holding change. Putting coins on a string or wire helped ensure one didn't lose their day's earnings.

No, but nails were.

Apparently,cuz about every other damn coin we find is in with a nail it seems! I never have figured out how so many nails are EVERYWHERE! Were the Amish not around back then to make quality things out of wood and all the nails fell out ??;)

They would also sew to the inside of clothing (pockets non-existent or just unreliable) for security. Some holed coins were also nailed above the door for good luck.

That is what my Grandparents told me too. The coins with small holes in them were sewn into pockets so they wouldn't lose them.

Back
Top Bottom