OK... did a test with the NOX 800

Max houser

a good friend suggested that i burry a silver dime at 10" and work on my swing as to learn the Nox 800 and what it is telling me.
went back to a factory preset
so here are my results..
park1: did not even pick up the faintest signal until I increased the sens to 23/24 and I did not get a faint repeatable tone until I switched to 2 tone...the VDI numbers bounced between 6 and 10... and now I know why in park1 I have been missing things... the tones for those numbers are a deeper tone with the volume set way lower and no one told me that there could be silver dimes at that depth and tone.
Park2 was the same, Field1 was the same, Field2 was better but still had to switch to 2 tone to hear it.
so what I learned is ...me missing so many targets is not so much my swing as it is I was listening for those high tone "normal" silver ranges... do you know how much trash from VDI 6 through 10 I have to dig to find those deep silver dimes? and if I dig every repeatable signal in 2 tone? my god... this is very confusing...

Something isn't right there. I would try the same dime at 6 to 8 inches and see what the results are. A little dime at a true 10 inches is a pretty hard target. That being said, a silver dime certainly shouldn't be coming in at the foil range.

What you are describing is not normal, period. You haven't told us your exact settings, how mineralized your ground is or if you tested the area you buried the 10" silver dime in with your Equinox for other targets in the plug before you buried it and after removing it.

I have ground that will cover any magnet with magnetite if I just swish it around on the surface of bare ground. My Fe3O4 meters on my Deus and G2+ are nearly pegged at maximum.

I have a silver quarter in the same kind of ground as a test target at 8" depth. I have tested 42 detectors on that silver Washington. Most won't even hit it. Some will hit it one way. My former CTX 3030 would not hit it for instance, neither would a Whites DFX or V3i. AT Pro, AT Gold and AT Max call it iron......I could go on. My Equinox in any Park, Field and Beach modes using Multi and with sensitivity below 18 will easily hit that silver quarter and assign it the correct target IDs in the low 30s and high tones. If I change to any single frequency on the Equinox, target ID and tones are all over the place depending on what frequency I choose.

Did you ground balance your Equinox before doing the test? A freshly buried 10" dime in anything but neutral ground can cause issues for most detectors.

So, were you using those search modes in Multi or a single frequency?

Did you check the area you buried the silver dime in for other small ferrous or low conductor targets by pressing the horseshoe button to accept all targets? Co-located targets, even ones so small your pinpointer and your eyes may not see them may be detected by the Equinox easily. That could alter the target ID of much deeper or weaker signals.

Is your ground really mineralized? I often detect in the North Augusta/Aiken SC area. There is quite a bit of iron mineralization in that area.

Was the silver dime flat?

When you turned up the sensitivity to 23/24 were you actually detecting a target in the ground or were you picking up EMI which can register as a target anywhere on the target ID scale? Were you doing this test near a house, electric power lines or broadband Wi-Fi signals?

Just trying to help.
good luck

too many questions.... I know your trying to help by cmon' man... your just confusing me more. I'll try and answer...
this is clean ground that has been detected before... dime was a silver rosie laying flat face up, I was using STOCK(factory preset) programs and settings in each program, only things I adjusted were what I mentioned. yes I always noise cancel and ground balance.
as far as the soil goes... IDK it's just normal top soil and red dirt.
I wasn't comparing the MD to the E-trac here just trying to figure a few things out... but since you mention it... the E-trac VDI numbers would change a bit on deeper silver...but not that much and the tone always stayed the same it just got weaker with depth... At this point I'm just trying to decide if I should keep this machine and try and learn it or if it's just too complicated for a simple minded guy like me.

Something isn't right there. I would try the same dime at 6 to 8 inches and see what the results are. A little dime at a true 10 inches is a pretty hard target. That being said, a silver dime certainly shouldn't be coming in at the foil range.

I went back out and buried another Rosie at 7"... did another factory preset( in case I changed anything on my first attempt. park1 ...no other targets around.... did catch the signal both ways but it was broken and jumpy from 18 to 25 with the occasional 31 high blip. I lowered the recovery to 4 and raised the sens to 23 and it steadied out and had a ok repeatable/diggable tone. still didn't ring out like it should to me... I'll keep experimenting I guess.

Just for fun, run the machine with no discrimination and 50 tones, and swing the same as when finding "a clean spot." Do you get any other tones? Clean ground needs a lot of circumference, especially if the recovery speed is low for the coil size.

You lowered the recovery to 4? what were you trying to run it at originally to find a 10 inch dime? It seems a higher recovery speed will cause you to lose depth. Try a 10 inch dime at 2 and see how it works

Are you ground balancing or keeping the Nox set on 0? You need to noise cancel and GB. You also need to GB for every program also. If you GB in Park1 then switch to any other program you need to redo your GB.

Are you ground balancing or keeping the Nox set on 0? You need to noise cancel and GB. You also need to GB for every program also. If you GB in Park1 then switch to any other program you need to redo your GB.

A ground balance should not skew the vdi. Single frequency, that makes sense.

You lowered the recovery to 4? what were you trying to run it at originally to find a 10 inch dime? It seems a higher recovery speed will cause you to lose depth. Try a 10 inch dime at 2 and see how it works

the factory preset for park1 which i believe is 6....

My assumption is that you have a little “piece of something” that is giving you that 6-10 indication in the hole WITH the dime. Just try re-burying the dime elsewhere and try again. Set recovery to 3 and sweep at 3-4 feet per second while trying your various modes. Tough tough target. 8-9” is more realistic.

Try an air test to see how it hits the dime at 6"--8"--then 10" that way you can tell what it doing. I know air test are not good for showing how it does, but neither is a fresh buried target.

Max this just my perspective on your issues. Lots of good advice and comments have been given.

From what I can tell people who have gone from FBS machines like the Etrac to Mulit-IQ do not see performance issues in the area of detecting depth between the two. Multi-IQ is supposed to be great, and I have found it to be great at identifying coins that are at the edge of detection. I have been able to call silver dimes at 8"-9"-10". 10" dimes are a very hard target with any machine. At a sensitivity setting of 20 in my dirt a 10" dime is going to be a very short whisper, and I.D. will jump around from low the 20's to 30 if there is nothing else around it.

In my dirt I can hit 8"-9"-10" dimes and wheats in 5 Tones in both Park1 and Park2 in the default settings without changing anything as long as there is good ground moisture. My 800 will show no I.D. at all and still high tone on coins at times when they are at the very edge of detection. But when it gives a number it's not off by a lot. Like someone else said maybe it was EMI or something else you were hitting other than the dime giving you the bad I.D. numbers.

I know you are not new to detecting. You said you ran an Etrac for many years. In my opinion it's totally unrealistic to think you can pick up an Equinox and automatically pick up where you left off with the Etrac. You have to crawl before you can walk, and I would just use the factory defaults for the time being. To me the only thing adjustments to the stock programs do is help you unmask really hard targets, and gain a little bit more depth.

It sounds to me like you need to put more time in on the machine before you start lowering recovery, jacking sensitivity way up, or lowering iron bias. If you do you are going to be deluged with beeps you can't yet decipher. While I had no trouble really learning the Equinox I didn't jump headlong into tweaking every setting right off the bat or worrying I couldn't hit a 10" dime.

Max this just my perspective on your issues. Lots of good advice and comments have been given.

From what I can tell people who have gone from FBS machines like the Etrac to Mulit-IQ do not see performance issues in the area of detecting depth between the two. Multi-IQ is supposed to be great, and I have found it to be great at identifying coins that are at the edge of detection. I have been able to call silver dimes at 8"-9"-10". 10" dimes are a very hard target with any machine. At a sensitivity setting of 20 in my dirt a 10" dime is going to be a very short whisper, and I.D. will jump around from low the 20's to 30 if there is nothing else around it.

In my dirt I can hit 8"-9"-10" dimes and wheats in 5 Tones in both Park1 and Park2 in the default settings without changing anything as long as there is good ground moisture. My 800 will show no I.D. at all and still high tone on coins at times when they are at the very edge of detection. But when it gives a number it's not off by a lot. Like someone else said maybe it was EMI or something else you were hitting other than the dime giving you the bad I.D. numbers.

I know you are not new to detecting. You said you ran an Etrac for many years. In my opinion it's totally unrealistic to think you can pick up an Equinox and automatically pick up where you left off with the Etrac. You have to crawl before you can walk, and I would just use the factory defaults for the time being. To me the only thing adjustments to the stock programs do is help you unmask really hard targets, and gain a little bit more depth.

It sounds to me like you need to put more time in on the machine before you start lowering recovery, jacking sensitivity way up, or lowering iron bias. If you do you are going to be deluged with beeps you can't yet decipher. While I had no trouble really learning the Equinox I didn't jump headlong into tweaking every setting right off the bat or worrying I couldn't hit a 10" dime.

Multiple Dittos...........great post.

I agree with others here. Something is definitely wrong. I have never seen those numbers for a silver dime no matter how deep. Very likely that there is a small piece of trash in the area of the dime. Possibly the nox is not picking up the dime at all for some reason. Possibly soil conditions or masking? Fresh buried coins are often hard for many detectors to ID as well. There is no halo effect from coins like there is present after 50-100 years plus in the ground. It took several years for my coin garden to really become an effective tool. Hopefully you figure out the issue and start to gain confidence with the nox. It really is an amazing machine. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I'm re-posting these just to show the depth that is possible with the Equinox 800. This was moist very mild sandy ground. The Merc 12" at least. The Walker half scared to say 14"-15-16"? You all judge, and both coins came from the bottom of the holes. Both just tiny soft whispers. Park1: GB-Low teens, Recovery 4, F2-I.B. 0, 5 tones, Sensitivity 21-23.

Attachments

• 20210101_153254_resized.jpg
    20210101_153254_resized.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 454
  • 20210105_151001_resized.jpg
    20210105_151001_resized.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 478
  • 20210105_150916_resized.jpg
    20210105_150916_resized.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 455
I'm re-posting these just to show the depth that is possible with the Equinox 800. This was moist very mild sandy ground. The Merc 12" at least. The Walker half scared to say 14"-15-16"? You all judge, and both coins came from the bottom of the holes. Both just tiny soft whispers. Park1: GB-Low teens, Recovery 4, F2-I.B. 0, 5 tones, Sensitivity 21-23.

That's nice looking soil there, you'd get the best out a detector in it.

That just makes me want to take my Nox to the park I hunted years ago to see if there is any silver left. That is if I can get a day off work where it isn't pouring rain...... Like TODAY:mad:

Back
Top Bottom