Brownsville Tx and Padre Island

billohio6248

I will be living in Brownsville for the next 6 months starting November 5th. Is there anyone that might want to go hunting with me? I read that Padre Island is off limits to detecting due to it being a National Seashore.

Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks for reading!

Lets hunt padre together

Hi. What you heard is just not true. I have never been bothered for detecting anywhere on padre island. After crossing the causeway,and heading north,you can park at the many beach access lots and walk over to the beach. Going farther north,you enter andy bowie park that is run by cameron county. There are serveral access points,where you can enter and drive up the beach for 30 miles.
There is a fee of $4 a day or $18 for a 3 month pass($9 for veterans).
I will be there from dec. 15 to the end of april. I'd be glad to hunt with you. There is also boca chica beach that goes from the channel to the border and the rio grande. Let me know jim 270 547-0203

Padre Island

Jim

Thanks for the reply. I will give you a call as time gets closer. I will try the beaches you suggested when I get there. Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving

Padre island

Hi. Hope you find all ok there. The best time to hunt is a monday morning,after the local crowd is on the beach area . The area between access 5 and 6 has the most beach traffic. Spring break is in march. Go early,before they wake up.

Metal detecting National Seashores

Padre Island is a National Seashore. They are protected from Metal Detecting. You might be able to get away with it, but you would be risking arrest and confiscation of your machine, maybe even your vehicle (!!!) if you can believe that. This goes for all National Parks/Forests/Seashores/Historical Sites. My sympathies are with the detectorists, don't get me wrong. But don't learn the hard way, like I did a few years back. Lucky to have kept my jeep and only had to pay a few THOUSANDS IN FINES and lost my detector, too. BEWARE!!

The National Park starts at Port Mansfield cut. Anything North would be off limits. South of the "cut" would be county. Check county law.....

Sorry i dont agree

padre island is a national seashore. They are protected from metal detecting. You might be able to get away with it, but you would be risking arrest and confiscation of your machine, maybe even your vehicle (!!!) if you can believe that. This goes for all national parks/forests/seashores/historical sites. My sympathies are with the detectorists, don't get me wrong. But don't learn the hard way, like i did a few years back. Lucky to have kept my jeep and only had to pay a few thousands in fines and lost my detector, too. Beware!!

the beach on south padre island is controlled by cameron county and is called andy bowie park. There is 30 miles of beach. No restrictions on detecting phone #956 761-2704 i heard these rumors too. Its just not true.

Boca Chica Beach

Boca Chica is one of the few pristine beaches left in S. Texas.
Currently, the Space X project is on the table for voting. If approved, it will close this beach for launches several times a year and will open the door for development with the promise of new jobs.It is too close to Mexico, the Port and city limits of Brownsville. Please make you voice heard and support petitions against this environmental intrusion.
GV

North Padre Island is a national seashore and is protected. Metal Detecting is not allowed. South Padre may well be a different animal.

I was there a while in college. :D I would think that the spring breakers make more of a mess than the detectorists.

Greg

True, North of the Mansfield cut to Malaquite Beach is National and metal detecting is not allowed. After that, still going north on NPI, it is good until Mustang Island state park and then all good again all the way to the Port Aransas jetties. South of Port Mansfield cut on SPI is good all the way through Isa Blanca park (which is some good hunting). All Texas State parks are also off limits. Boca Chica is a State Park.

Back
Top Bottom