Nokta/Makro SMF (My Prediction)

Woody I bought my Minelab logo toilet paper same place where you bought your Garrett logo toilet paper.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Seriously Woody.
Folks should be able to share their thoughts. About tech, etc. as long as no one is being attacked personally.

Look Woody, if Nokta Makro releases SMF detector, what’s the first thing any intelligent detectorist will ask or want to know?

How about how does it stack up to Minelab ?
You reckon.

And if another manufacturer gets on top with SMF, it will be that company’s units that the ones will be compare to.
Btw, don’t forget Dilek mentioned Equinox 800 by name as far as what they wanted to compete with.
So since she mentioned only fitting for folks be allowed to do the same in this thread. The way I see it anyways.

I hope it turns out to be battle of the titans.
We’ll see.

Actually Nokta Makro should feel honored by having Equinox being mentioned in this thread with the title it has.

I would be if I were them.

Also. Here’s idea for this forum.
Detector prospector forum has this btw.
Might help here to have subforum titled detector comparisons.
This way if folks want to stay purely brand loyal and don’t want to ever read comments, opinions, realities when it comes to this or that, etc about detector models they don’t ever enter the subforum like I suggest.
Just an idea.

TN, your right, guys should be able to share they're opinion about personal experiences with different electronics.
But man, it's getting deep. It's like some weird cult thing from the Far Side comics..Sorry but I gotta try to out some humor on this minefest thing going on before I slit my wrists.
I have a minelab, actually 2 of them. And I do like them, and I like my other brands too.But these post I read almost sound more like a starry eyed highschool crush than a grown mans perception. :laughing:
So,yea, I can almost bet the minelab bedsheets and possibly a nox logo cape isn't a stretch of my imagination.

And guess this crush has both been popular as well made some a lot of $$$.

I don’t see it as a crush.
How about the truth.

I guess we could say a good SMF performer detector is not deemed a hoax.
If you go back in time, this is exactly how some described. Like no benefits really. Just hype.
Those ole boys using those White’s and Fishers and Garrett in parks in around 2000-2010. Yeah what the Minelabbers were digging. It was all talked down.
The so-called fan clubbers of the USA made detectors couldn’t believe or want to believe. Thing is all those coins were still there in the ground wouldn’t they? Why? If those other detectors were sniffing them out with huge success.
They wouldn’t obviously. Sure some were detected alright. Detectorist didn’t have a clue what was down there, probably thought it was junk or trash.

Yeah I read some of this stuff back when.

You can’t argue with results. Least I ain’t going to.

TN, your right, guys should be able to share they're opinion about personal experiences with different electronics.
But man, it's getting deep. It's like some weird cult thing from the Far Side comics..Sorry but I gotta try to out some humor on this minefest thing going on before I slit my wrists.
I have a minelab, actually 2 of them. And I do like them, and I like my other brands too.But these post I read almost sound more like a starry eyed highschool crush than a grown mans perception. :laughing:
So,yea, I can almost bet the minelab bedsheets and possibly a nox logo cape isn't a stretch of my imagination.

I wear my Minelab hat one day, my Nokta Makro hat another, my Garrett hat another day, and even wear my Whites hat sometimes. Wish I had a Fisher/Teknetics hat....... I love may Garrett, Whites and Minelab finds bags and backpacks too.

Back to reality, for some it may be a cult, conversely, for others like you woody, I am not sure what the issue with the Equinox really is. For me, after 25 years of detecting, somebody (just happened to be Minelab) produced a detector (just happened to be SMF) that actually works very well EVERYWHERE that I take it, no matter how mineralized the ground is, and on the entire range of coin, jewelry, relic and gold prospecting targets that I am after. I no longer need half a dozen specialty detectors. Some of the ones I have now will soon be gone too since I am sick of how they don't work very well where I detect or I just don't enjoy swinging them (GPX 5000!!!!) compared to the Equinox. So if I am a cult member to you..........I am a very happy one. All I can say is somebody finally made a detector to fit the needs of people like me. Hopefully Nokta Makro will too.

I wear my Minelab hat one day, my Nokta Makro hat another, my Garrett hat another day, and even wear my Whites hat sometimes. Wish I had a Fisher/Teknetics hat....... I love may Garrett, Whites and Minelab finds bags and backpacks too.

Back to reality, for some it may be a cult, conversely, for others like you woody, I am not sure what the issue with the Equinox really is. For me, after 25 years of detecting, somebody (just happened to be Minelab) produced a detector (just happened to be SMF) that actually works very well EVERYWHERE that I take it, no matter how mineralized the ground is, and on the entire range of coin, jewelry, relic and gold prospecting targets that I am after. I no longer need half a dozen specialty detectors. Some of the ones I have now will soon be gone too since I am sick of how they don't work very well where I detect or I just don't enjoy swinging them (GPX 5000!!!!) compared to the Equinox. So if I am a cult member to you..........I am a very happy one. All I can say is somebody finally made a detector to fit the needs of people like me. Hopefully Nokta Makro will too.

I have a bunch of new hats that your welcome to if you want them, ive gotten them with different machines over the years and never wore them

Woody,
You must have watched a load of Underdog back when.
I think of Underdog when I read your posts.

Here’s a short clip of yours truly- Underdog
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=j2-gu-P8c_4

Underdog or overrated,how every you wanna put it. All I know is I take any one in my machines out and find cool stuff. Tesoro, Garrett, Fisher and yes,a nox. It's definitely more about location than it is machine for me. Although I like the nox I will say I dig more bent nails than I do with any other machine. But that don't mean I won't use the nox, just not around a site with alot of nails
But when I get to a area where there's alot of hot rocks,aka burned coal ash I will for sure use the nox. It handles hot rocks real good

Underdog or overrated,how every you wanna put it. All I know is I take any one in my machines out and find cool stuff. Tesoro, Garrett, Fisher and yes,a nox. It's definitely more about location than it is machine for me. Although I like the nox I will say I dig more bent nails than I do with any other machine. But that don't mean I won't use the nox, just not around a site with alot of nails
But when I get to a area where there's alot of hot rocks,aka burned coal ash I will for sure use the nox. It handles hot rocks real good

Same here...

Strangest thing.
It’s nails (not bent) that are more of less pointed more or less straight up or straight down in the ground that can fool me sometimes using Nox.
And they will always be over to side of hole. Never in.

Honestly I think this is a by product of the SMF. Detector sees this as anomaly in ground and rings it up.
Tell you what.
I should compare some of these undisturbed using newest version and original software version. Why?
Original version may do better here.
Why do I think this?
It could be tied to, “ Remember original version” lackluster on detecting big silver coins on edge. I wonder if the fix for this (next version) made Nox light these vertical nails up somewhat better?
I can’t say one way or the other.
The site I normally use to test has been tilled and planted. Shucks.
Will make some grand detecting later on though. This ground undisturbed foe many years until this year.

Cheers.

Strangest thing.
It’s nails (not bent) that are more of less pointed more or less straight up or straight down in the ground that can fool me sometimes using Nox.
And they will always be over to side of hole. Never in.

Honestly I think this is a by product of the SMF. Detector sees this as anomaly in ground and rings it up.
Tell you what.
I should compare some of these undisturbed using newest version and original software version. Why?
Original version may do better here.
Why do I think this?
It could be tied to, “ Remember original version” lackluster on detecting big silver coins on edge. I wonder if the fix for this (next version) made Nox light these vertical nails up somewhat better?
I can’t say one way or the other.
The site I normally use to test has been tilled and planted. Shucks.
Will make some grand detecting later on though. This ground undisturbed foe many years until this year.

Cheers.

My bent nails are always in the side of the hole too. Tried pinpointing to see how far it's off from each direction,etc. In the end I just dig it and there's a nail in the sidewall

Yeah Woody,
Who wouldn’t want to hunt a Virgin old site with about any detector. I would do in a heartbeat.
Problem is who and what detectors have been in there.

You reckon in an old site with quite a bit of iron. Where Ace units have thrived for many years. Coulda I take a Deus in there and do any good? Or Nox.

It’s actually nice to know which detectors are popular.
That ups the odds of knowing what has been in there. Even if you assume those who detected knew their stuff using those detectors, Deus likley will produce.

Here’s a true story.
I have talked about this on another forum.
Civil war battlefield site around 30 miles of me.
This place been busted over the years (last 30) loads.
I talked to a gent who he and his buds were dedicated detectorist.
They crushed the joint.
Used fishers and Garett’s and whites over the years. Even used Minelab fbs units.

I told the gent I was going down there. He chuckled. Btw this site also busted hard with non dst F75 units with boost by this gent and his pals.
I took the Deus and found over 100 nonferrous finds after 5 visits.
I even went back and told the gent. He owned a small business in small town.
I told him what I found.
He said I did good.
He even said a bud of his who lives near Nashville (detector dealer) had told him about Deus. But he was Leary thinking just hype.

So guess what I noticed about majority of finds I located and dig in the CW site. Most the Deus showed iron near.
Full sized bullets, Knap sack hooks, buttons, lead portions, and parts of bullets, canteen chain.

Btw this site was also used during WW2 timeframe for training maneuvers. Think this is where the canteen chain came from I think.

Comdtions of nails, or movement of nails and or nonferrous can allow some finds to be located missed prior even with same detector.

This site I am referring to above.
These boys lived in it big time.
And they weren’t the only ones.
It layed nice, rolling land. Not steep.
Ground mineralization Low.
And guess what none of the targets located exceptionally deep.
More like 5-8” deep.

Forget to say.
Only an 11” LF coil used on Deus in site.

After using Deus I took my dst F75 with boost to the site.
Hunted 2 times.
Found 2 nonferrous finds.
A square tab 10” deep.
And one smaller canister shot about 6” deep.
Ground read 1 and 2 bars everywhere I checked for mineralization.
And why I took the F75 down there.
Power lines the big ones cross this site.

I wish I had the luxury of hunting locations where all those machines find coins. All locations I am hunting are public parks that have been pounded by those machines for 40+ years. And door knocking houses that have been hit at least once over by past detectorists. You aren't finding any coins here with anything but the best. I have watched dozens of detectorists hunt my parks with at pros, f75, impact, simplex, ace 400 etc etc etc and they get skunked every time. Only the best machines with the right coil for each area even has a chance of sniffing silver in these parks. Most have given up honestly. But I still manage to pull silver in trashy areas with nox and small coil as well as very deep silver with bigger coils in other areas. Some of us don't have the luxury of hunting the eastern US where there are still locations where those machines will suffice.

This is why I use the nox and love every minute of it. It gives me the best possible chance of finding what others missed in my area. I have tried nearly all major brand detectors and this is not hype it is just the honest truth. You can bet your behind if the Nokta SMF machine gives me even the slightest edge at my sites and finds anything my equinox missed I will be singing its praises and keeping one in my arsenal. I don't own a single piece of minelab swag. I can care less about what the brand name is I just want what works best. If I wanted to flex a brand name or try to show off I would have kept my $3500 ctx and used it everywhere.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I wish I had the luxury of hunting locations where all those machines find coins. All locations I am hunting are public parks that have been pounded by those machines for 40+ years. And door knocking houses that have been hit at least once over by past detectorists. You aren't finding any coins here with anything but the best. I have watched dozens of detectorists hunt my parks with at pros, f75, impact, simplex, ace 400 etc etc etc and they get skunked every time. Only the best machines with the right coil for each area even has a chance of sniffing silver in these parks. Most have given up honestly. But I still manage to pull silver in trashy areas with nox and small coil as well as very deep silver with bigger coils in other areas. Some of us don't have the luxury of hunting the eastern US where there are still locations where those machines will suffice.

This is why I use the nox and love every minute of it. It gives me the best possible chance of finding what others missed in my area. I have tried nearly all major brand detectors and this is not hype it is just the honest truth. You can bet your behind if the Nokta SMF machine gives me even the slightest edge at my sites and finds anything my equinox missed I will be singing its praises and keeping one in my arsenal. I don't own a single piece of minelab swag. I can care less about what the brand name is I just want what works best. If I wanted to flex a brand name or try to show off I would have kept my $3500 ctx and used it everywhere.

How much of your success is machine only - verses your skill with that machine? How large a role does your belief in your machine play?

I would assume that when you first got your Equinox you weren’t nearly as proficient with it as you now are. Unless the Equinox has changed capabilities (since you first got it) in some significant manner, the difference [in your success] is mostly you.

I’m not pretending the Equinox isn’t a very capable machine (it clearly is very capable) but I have to wonder if you had the same belief and competence with a Fisher F75 - would your success rate be significantly different? My best guess is that it would not be significantly different in your soil conditions. Elsewhere (with much harsher soil conditions) my best guess would be that you would have a significantly different success rate using the F75.

I do think a belief in one’s machine [abilities] is a factor in achieving success. I too owned a CTX 3030 - by most accounts a very capable machine. I did not like it. I just couldn’t gel with it, and did not enjoy using it. Consequently I didn’t learn it as I should have, and I didn’t have success with it.

I had far greater success with a Whites V3i - a machine generally deemed too complicated by many. I loved the V3i and believed in it. I enjoyed using it and put in the time to learn it, and had quite a bit of success using it.

I am convinced that there is no one detector for all. Different likes, whims, needs, etc.. coupled with different conditions, hunting methods... Call for different machines. The right machine for me isn’t necessarily the right machine for you (or the next person).

I’m not saying the Equinox isn’t all that you claim it to be. For you, given your success with the Nox, it clearly is all that you claim it to be.

For me, the story is different.

I take that as a good thing for all of us since our different choices drive the various manufacturers to make better machines.

BTW - your videos are very well done.

I wish I had the luxury of hunting locations where all those machines find coins. All locations I am hunting are public parks that have been pounded by those machines for 40+ years. And door knocking houses that have been hit at least once over by past detectorists. You aren't finding any coins here with anything but the best.

I’m not trying to be contentious (really, I’m not) but the east coast isn’t all peaches and cream for detectorists either. Sure there’s a lengthier history of population density with the accompanying drops, but that is countered by a likewise greater number of people swinging a detector over every square inch of public property.

Factor in the east’s propensity to be more than a bit leery when strangers come knocking and asking for favors... the few permissions garnered in that manner have usually been hunted many, many times.

Land preservation efforts (the state takes over private properties) have greatly reduced metal detecting opportunities too (NJ does not allow metal detecting on any of those properties; several other eastern states have similar rules/laws in place).

Then there’s the trash. Gobs and gobs of it. The older public locations (the areas most likely to have silver) seem to be frequently located in less than desirable neighborhoods, and those who typically frequent such locations tend to be rather lax about depositing their trash in a responsible manner.

The beaches are the hardest hit, with scores of hunters doing their best to find the gold ring some rich vacationer dropped or the reales washed up in the latest storm. Mostly they get trash and a bit of clad, and if they drove from out of town they get to pay for parking (most of the time).

Still, good targets are found. Some by luck, but most by putting in their due diligence. With and without the “best” machines.

I have hunted in NE (not Omaha though) and have found silver coins (Fisher F4). It was probably a bit of luck - I did know the area because I grew up there - since I never did find silver in NJ with that machine.

Personally I found the hunting to be easier in NE. A lot less competition, and permissions were easy (it helps to have lots of family in an area).

I’m not trying to be contentious (really, I’m not) but the east coast isn’t all peaches and cream for detectorists either. Sure there’s a lengthier history of population density with the accompanying drops, but that is countered by a likewise greater number of people swinging a detector over every square inch of public property.

Factor in the east’s propensity to be more than a bit leery when strangers come knocking and asking for favors... the few permissions garnered in that manner have usually been hunted many, many times.

Land preservation efforts (the state takes over private properties) have greatly reduced metal detecting opportunities too (NJ does not allow metal detecting on any of those properties; several other eastern states have similar rules/laws in place).

Then there’s the trash. Gobs and gobs of it. The older public locations (the areas most likely to have silver) seem to be frequently located in less than desirable neighborhoods, and those who typically frequent such locations tend to be rather lax about depositing their trash in a responsible manner.

The beaches are the hardest hit, with scores of hunters doing their best to find the gold ring some rich vacationer dropped or the reales washed up in the latest storm. Mostly they get trash and a bit of clad, and if they drove from out of town they get to pay for parking (most of the time).

Still, good targets are found. Some by luck, but most by putting in their due diligence. With and without the “best” machines.

I have hunted in NE (not Omaha though) and have found silver coins (Fisher F4). It was probably a bit of luck - I did know the area because I grew up there - since I never did find silver in NJ with that machine.

Personally I found the hunting to be easier in NE. A lot less competition, and permissions were easy (it helps to have lots of family in an area).

TL;DR: location, location, location.

I've been pretty lucky in that I've found 3 silvers close by my home: 1 Merc in my front yard, 1 Rosie in the curb strip in my front yard and 1 war nickel at a local tot lot. The Merc was found with my Fisher F2 and the later 2 were found with a Vanquish 540.

Woody, for me it is all about the finds..........these are park finds (not too many beaches in Colorado) in moderate to high mineralization since March of 2020 and these photos were made 6 months ago and don't include $1500 worth of clad which is already in the bank, historic coins that I usually keep and more jewelry. I don't see too many bent nails in those photos because I can generally tell the difference between a bent nail and a good high conductor target by their pinpoint response. Yeah I dig plenty of low and mid conductive what looks like trash. I don't dig it by accident. All of that bling, keys and pull tabs could have easily been a quality jewelry find since I can trust that the Equinox is telling me the correct conductivity of every non-ferrous target. The Equinox is not a joke, a crush, a fairy tale or a cult........for some of us it works better than any other detector or I wouldn't own one and use it practically everyday. I just use what works best for me. I will gladly use the new Nokta Makro SMF if it performs as well or better than the Equinox. Same goes for any detector. I have tried most of them and they could not make these finds in my hunting conditions. So, for those of you who think it is all about location or the expertise of the detector user......absolutely those are important. Just as important is a detector that tells me enough about a target to make me want to dig. Everyone of these targets was recovered with a screwdriver. No digging with hand shovels, trowels or bigger shovels is allowed in Denver area parks. If I am using a detector that tells me a 4" pull tab/nickel/gold ring is an iron target or is up-averaging the target ID into the high silver stratosphere to the point of almost wrap around......I would go nuts. I have to know at least what kind of conductivity the target has that I'm about to dig with a screwdriver, especially when I am going after gold jewelry. The Equinox and the Vanquish to a lesser degree can do that in my area on 4" and deeper targets. No other detector so far including the APEX, V3i, DFX, CTX 3030, E-Trac or any single frequency detector like the Garrett AT series, T2, F75, all of the Nokta Makros, XP Deus..... has been able to keep any target ID accuracy past 4" on low and mid conductive targets in the areas I detect.

Attachments

• thumbnail-8.jpg
    thumbnail-8.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 310
  • thumbnail-9.jpg
    thumbnail-9.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
TL;DR: location, location, location.

I've been pretty lucky in that I've found 3 silvers close by my home: 1 Merc in my front yard, 1 Rosie in the curb strip in my front yard and 1 war nickel at a local tot lot. The Merc was found with my Fisher F2 and the later 2 were found with a Vanquish 540.

Hunting my own property resulted in a whole bunch of clad (mostly pennies).

I know how most of that clad got there...

Some 20-25 years ago my niece and nephew spent the summer with us and one day they were a bit restless so I handed them a large container full of change and told them to count it for me. They were sitting on the front steps and didn't know I was going to give them all the coins.

I didn't realize they weren't too thrilled with counting all that change - until I metal detected my front yard (years later) and found a whole bunch of coins. I figured they had tossed a good amount of the coins out in the yard, and confirmed it when I asked my niece about it. She was surprised that I discovered their act of retaliation all those years later.

My niece also told me how shocked they were when I gave them the coins they had actually counted (about $60 worth) - especially so since they knew (at that time) that they had thrown a bunch of coins away.

I don't recall, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that they spent some time in the front yard trying to find all the coins they had tossed there once they knew the coins were theirs.

I'll gonna take the risk of being "slapped upside the head" but I live back east, and everything is 'cooked' here as well.the guys that have been at this for a long ass time are USING 800'S,600'S AND VANQUISH EQUIPMENT to hunt "burnt" parks and schools, and playing fields.as you say, and I agree, most everything else just won't cut it anymore.i'm also talkin' sites that have been "beat" for 40 years, or more.like you, after being in the hobby for more than 35 years,
"performance IS everything!"

(h.h.!)
j.t.

don't forget the minelab "nox" condoms!" (lol)

(h.h.!)
j.t.

How much of your success is machine only - verses your skill with that machine? How large a role does your belief in your machine play?

I would assume that when you first got your Equinox you weren’t nearly as proficient with it as you now are. Unless the Equinox has changed capabilities (since you first got it) in some significant manner, the difference [in your success] is mostly you.

I’m not pretending the Equinox isn’t a very capable machine (it clearly is very capable) but I have to wonder if you had the same belief and competence with a Fisher F75 - would your success rate be significantly different? My best guess is that it would not be significantly different in your soil conditions. Elsewhere (with much harsher soil conditions) my best guess would be that you would have a significantly different success rate using the F75.

I do think a belief in one’s machine [abilities] is a factor in achieving success. I too owned a CTX 3030 - by most accounts a very capable machine. I did not like it. I just couldn’t gel with it, and did not enjoy using it. Consequently I didn’t learn it as I should have, and I didn’t have success with it.

I had far greater success with a Whites V3i - a machine generally deemed too complicated by many. I loved the V3i and believed in it. I enjoyed using it and put in the time to learn it, and had quite a bit of success using it.

I am convinced that there is no one detector for all. Different likes, whims, needs, etc.. coupled with different conditions, hunting methods... Call for different machines. The right machine for me isn’t necessarily the right machine for you (or the next person).

I’m not saying the Equinox isn’t all that you claim it to be. For you, given your success with the Nox, it clearly is all that you claim it to be.

For me, the story is different.

I take that as a good thing for all of us since our different choices drive the various manufacturers to make better machines.

BTW - your videos are very well done.
A lot to unpack here but some great points. I agree with you on a lot of them. I didn't mean to sound like it is super easy east as I know it is tough anywhere at this point. Every city has been hunted for at least 40 years. But when you have an extra 100+ years of history along with millions more people you are going to have an exponentially larger amount of good targets. Along with trash and detectorists I know.

But I routinely watch YouTube videos and see posts here of the finds coming from the east coast. And it blows my mind how many are found using machines such as the at pro and other entry level to mid level machines. While those machines will find plenty of coins in yards that have not been hunted you will be lucky to find 1 silver at any public site or hunted yard in a year here. It just doesn't happen. I know because I hunted these parks for years with my at pro and I know many others that have as well and still do. They just aren't finding silver anymore. I know guys in the local club that have mastered the CTX and have been using them for years and even they gave up on our local parks. They just don't find silver anymore. While it is getting more and more rare I am still able to pull silver out of the local parks with the Nox.

Also I found 3 silvers with the nox on my 2nd hunt ever using it. In a local park in a hot spot that I had pounded with AT pro multiple coils, ctx 2 coils, and etrac with 2 coils. Simply using park 1 mode and no adjustments as I was still learning the nox. That was pretty much purely the nox and not my skills as I hadn't learned the nox yet. Now I have 3 years and 1000s of hours on the Nox and there is a lot more skill involved. But the equinox is the best power up and go machine I have ever used. (AT PRO would be #2)

I'm not saying only the equinox will find silver or that is the best machine period. I also agree that everyone is different and the best machine is the one that works best for you.. To a point lol. You just aren't going to find everything with an at pro that someone with a deus, ctx, or nox will. No matter how good you are at using it. There are technological differences that make it impossible.

Thanks for watching my videos and thanks for the feedback as well. I really do appreciate that.

Back
Top Bottom