Nothing special, but getting better!

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
I spent a couple hours at an old 1920's school site that's been demo'd and is now largely a park. Some of the school walkways still exist though, so I mostly spent my time running the detector along the edges of those walks. I found mostly zincoln pennies, but I was still pleased with the hunt, mainly just because it was my most productive since getting into detecting last month :grin: Other than some trash, I found 7 zincolns total, a clad Rosie dime, a 1960 Lincoln penny, a plain key, and a couple other interesting bits (pictured below).

I was amazed at how poorly they (the new pennies) fared for being underground for a relatively short time. They're all very badly corroded: I can only read the dates on two, and the rest I literally can only tell they are pennies because you can barely make out the columns of the Lincoln Memorial rising through the blisters, pitting, and corrosion on the back. In contrast, the 1960 D Lincoln I found was in much better shape - am I correctly learning that the newer zinc pennies are just far more susceptible to degradation underground? The second picture shows the drastic difference in condition between the newer and older pennies.

Anyway, the 1960 penny is a keeper for me, since it's now my oldest find so far :grin: Not sure what the dart looking thing is, but was a pretty neat find for me, too.

All in all, I had a fun hunt despite the somewhat lackluster finds, and I'm learning a lot about the detector with each time out!

a93f7a01f7aa0f83a9012a60fba23983.jpg
860af2add0e04e75d250f1e8b2a22eac.jpg

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not every hunt produces the goods.....i would start detecting yards and curb strips. You'll definitely have a good chance at some silver that way.

Getting to know the machine is really the most important at this point. The finds will come. Keep at it and don't forget to research for good sites!

Keep digging sooner or later you'll pop a silver coin or a gold ring. It's just a matter of time. Location is key.

beephead

The dart thingie is a cap rocket, missing the nose piece. You'd put a single cap in it, throw it in the air over a hard surface, and the cap would go off when it hit. I still have one of my old ones.

Attachments

• Cap rocket NA.jpg
    Cap rocket NA.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom