Tall man shovel

Missouri Mule

I am about 6'6" and had back surgery some 25 years ago. Continually stooping over is a quick way for me to get all jacked up. Getting on my knees to to dig with a hand tool is ok. I have searched the forums but have not found any answers to the old quandary of trying to find a shovel for a tall man that is long enough (at least 36" above ground when fully plunged), light weight, durable, and has a handle that easily used with one hand. One likely does not exist with all of these qualities, but I have yet to find one that is even close. I thought perhaps with all of the new products coming out that there may be a new one not yet discussed on the forum. Thanks. :?:

How about a standard D handle tiling spade as the basic concept? I like them on account of they are one hand operation and also act like a walking cane when not in use, plus a snake clubber, angry dog discourager, Human slapper, watermelon cutter, concrete slab popper, a machete if the sides of the blade are filed really sharp, and over a small fire you could even use it like a small frying pan!

Hey! Take some premix pancake powder and a bottle of water with you and make yourself some mini flapjacks for lunch!

Since you are above average height, 6'6".. you could customize the whole rig, lengthen the shaft, narrow down and sharpen/serrate the blade sides or whatever you wanted to do...etc....That would be really cool! You can get a D handle tiling spade in various states of distress at any old garage sale for @50 cents!...

Take the components from it, go buy a new replacement ash handle at the store and cut it to any length you want, or make your own out of hickory or ash..sharpen one side of the blade like a machete, serrate the other side like a sawblade, I can see this clearly in my mind! An old tiling spade transformed into one very cool custom all around tool! I'm inspired by my own imagination to go and do this myself!

"Its nice to have an old worn out cheap tool around that can do about anything, cut brush, kill snakes, and also cook pancakes"... said my Wife to a friend of hers the other day as she nodded in my direction...

So I cant take total credit for this brilliant idea!...She was obviously thinking about a modified D handle tiling spade!....So I'll make her one and maybe get some mini pancakes for breakfast around here someday!..:laughing:

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Yes, that thought crossed my mind, as I have throughout the years made many custom modifications to various things to suit my size. I am thinking about lengthening a Ground Shark 40" so that 36" remains above ground when fully plunged. Then add a "D" handle to it.

Been using

The 31 T Sampson for year's, however it's no match for my two https://www.predatortools.com/products/model-35-piranha i am 6- 3 its 40 inches long, check it out, high quality , Earl Ps get 2 foot pad's, you need two , because they are single left , right , universal, one for each side, a mistake i made when ordering i ordered 2 foot pads for two shovels , which only took care of one shovel , had to order two more, i really like this shovel , over the Sampson 31, the other day i dug a 16 x 12 inch hole to put up a No Trespassing sign on my lot , in minutes , happy hunting , Earl

If you mod your own, make sure the D handle is reinforced with metal, I was using a 24” on a hillside and the plastic D snapped causing my hand a lot of pain for weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excalibur makes one that is pretty long at 40" OAL. I started using a floral space with a custom length oak shaft and went to an Excalibur, which is slightly shorter than my homemade spade. I like the Excalibur quite a lot and find the length to be almost perfect. I'm 6' tall with long arms.

--Matt

https://www.excaliburshovels.com/product-page/lancelot-xl

I have the Sir Kay and love it! They will also make custom lengths for you.

I have the Sir Kay and love it! They will also make custom lengths for you.

I see the names of those Excalibur shovels (knights of Camelot) and think of the song in Monty Python/Holy Grail...

"We're the Knights of the Round Table
We dance whene'er we're able.
We do routines and chorus scenes
With footwork im pec able!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shovel resolution

I thank you all for your suggestions. I went with a ground shark which I am modifying by adding a hickory "D" handle extension. Also, the suggestions to not use shovels in public parks seems wise. I will abide by it.

I thank you all for your suggestions. I went with a ground shark which I am modifying by adding a hickory "D" handle extension. Also, the suggestions to not use shovels in public parks seems wise. I will abide by it.

The only big shovel I’ll use in a park is my 18” mini Sampson but only because it’s very discrete. I’ve seen people using bigger in my area but I feel it draws to much attention. I still prefer my hand digger in public places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have used my 18" Sampson in parks at times. I can actually cut a neater plug with it than a hand digger. I have talked to park workers while wearing it and they have never said anything. It doesn't draw attention like a larger shovel.
MiniC.jpg

I have used my 18" Sampson in parks at times. I can actually cut a neater plug with it than a hand digger. I have talked to park workers while wearing it and they have never said anything. It doesn't draw attention like a larger shovel.
View attachment 440676

After seeing you post that picture a few times on here, I am in the process of putting sometime similar together for myself...

I have ordered a Russian titanium shovel head ($25 delivered to the UK) and initially add a short wooden T handle...

armadastore126_1-372x231.jpg

If I like the set up, I will look into getting a piece of titanium tube welded on if the costs are no to prohibitive..

My only concern is the particular shovel head I have ordered does not have a square shoulder to drive with your foot, but given the overall short handle length and the T handle, I don't think that will be too much of an issue...

Back
Top Bottom